Options

Alde relief valve

Third day on a road trip, another issue just appeared.   We have a 2015 S Max with the yellow Alde relief valve located the last thing before the cold water line goes into the Alde.  We are using the T@B's water tank as our water source.   The setting for the Alde was for hot water only, being heated by shore power, not propane.   My wife just drew some cold water from the kitchen sink, the water pump turned on, and immediately the pressure relief valve starts intermittently going off and spitting water out on the ground.   When I flip the valve to straight up and down, a steady stream of water spills out.   When we turn off the water pump, it stops for the moment but begins again when we flip on the water pump switch.   What's going on?
2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
States Visited Map

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I've heard of a bad valve. I vaguely remember someone having to replace one. The pump is designed to have less than 50 psi (rem, that's max) in the lines. There's no reason that valve would flip up unless (WAG here), there's an air pocket in the 2.5 gallon holding tank and it's pushing water out as water is flowing into it from the pumping cold water. 

Anyone else have thoughts? :pensive:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    I found some info in the Alde owner's manual about maintaining an air cushion and the Alde should be drained once a month.   Anyway, using the pressure relief valve and cold water drain, I drained the Alde of water, and then replaced the water in the fresh water tank.   When I turned on the water pump, the relief valve in the Alde did not go off but neither did the water pump shut off.   I had to run some kitchen sink water and flush the toilet before water had filled all the lines and the water pump stopped running.   So, I think the issue is fixed, but I'm still not sure what set it off in the first place, other than I know I haven't drained the Alde heater periodically, only at the end of the season when I winterize.
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    Fingers crossed that you found the solution!

My big camper propane HW heater needs an air cushion as well, but the instructions say "there's an optimal amount of cushion that it needs" wha? Oh well. If I have issues, there's a valve on the HW heater that'll start spewing too!

Keep us posted if things continue to go well and that was the ultimate fix!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Back for round two with the Alde relief valve issue.   The problem reappeared today. After flushing the toilet or running water in the kitchen sink, the water pump seemed to be winding down before shutting off and then, the relief valve pops off, the water pump keeps running and seems to be about to finish and the relief valve releases.   The water pump never turns off unless I do it manually.  My previous fix of draining the Alde of water did not provide the fix this time.   Has anyone had a similar experience and what's the permanent fix?
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    Either the valve is bad - opening prematurely before pressure can build enough to shut the pump off, or the pump is bad - not shutting off when pressure is reached.  Hard to say at this point!
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Please let us know what you find, as I've not heard of this issue before. I'm thinking along the same lines as @ColoradoJon though. Bad pump, or bad pressure valve.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    For now, I'd tape the valve shut (lever down), and then call NuCamp. Suspiciously seems like a bad valve that is sensing too much pressure.
  • Options
    Thanks guys............I'm waiting for a call back from Marvin.   I did contact two Alde service dealers in the Twin Cities area but their service departments were booked for the next two weeks and at one he said that the last Alde service they did it took ten days for the parts to arrive.   The Alde system is great but when there are issues, as others have discovered, it can be frustrating.   Especially at the beginning of a six week road trip.  I will run by Marvin when the calls......the idea of taping the valve shut.
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,457
    FWIW, I'm not sure I would consider this an Alde problem. Per ColoradoJon's comments above, it's more likely a pressure relief valve or pump issue. If you can identify the proper replacement parts, I suspect they can be sourced elsewhwere.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    I would make sure the water lines are correctly run to the Alde. Sounds like there is not proper flow.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    I've been in contact with Marvin at PV...........will include a stop in Sugarcreek in our travels.
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    HappyHappy Member Posts: 7
    edited September 2018
    Hello. Today I am experiencing exactly this same problem. The original poster did not say what the ultimate fix was. Does anyone know?
    2016 CS-S
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Happy said:
    Hello. Today I am experiencing exactly this same problem. The original poster did not say what the ultimate fix was. Does anyone know?
    The reference to Sugarcreek is the factory in Sugarcreek, OH. I believe  @T@Balong had the valve replaced, as I mentioned in the FB group.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Yes, that is correct...........I suspect a handy person could easily do the work themselves if they had a new valve from nuCamp.
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    OpenSkyOpenSky Member Posts: 30
    Similar (but not identical) problem encountered camping Labor Day weekend. Pump was slow to shut off (shuddered a lot), and would cycle every few minutes.  Initially I assumed a bad check valve at the pump was allowing pressure to drop.

Then my wife noticed water dripping from the left wheel-well.  Ooops.  Pulled the cushions and there was water on the floor near the Alde.   Bypassed the Alde, cleaned up the water and searched for the source.  I was unable to find the source.  Water was still leaking from somewhere, but the source was not obvious.   Drained the Alde with the inlet relief valve and completed our camping weekend w/o hot water.

This morning I packed paper around every fitting (as tell-tales), turned on the pump, and put the Alde back in the circuit.   It filled and pressurized; no more pump cycling or leaks.  Waited an hour for the pump to cycle, but it never happened.

My working theory is that the Alde air gap had disappeared and the resulting shock waves in the water from the pump caused one or more of the quick-connect fittings to leak.  A similar effect might be observed with the relief valve. (Lots of material online suggesting city water pressure can pop the valve.)

I noticed that some but not all of the quick-connect fittings have lock rings.  I also wonder if perhaps there is a mix of metric fittings with SAE tubing, or vice-versa, which would reduce the sealing capability.

Everything is drained again.  Next trip I will refill to establish a new air gap, then do a leak check the first time I turn on the pump.
  • Options
    HappyHappy Member Posts: 7
    I drove to my “local” RV place (an hour away) and bought a new valve. Installed it. Turned on the pump. Same problem. Now what. 
    2016 CS-S
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    If the water is collecting around the Alde, I may suspect an Alde leak.  There was a member who recently reported finding her Alde sitting with the lower tray filled with water and we all thought it was humidity related.  Nope.  Alde leak and the Alde needs to be replace.  Do a Search for Alde Drop Pan.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    OpenSkyOpenSky Member Posts: 30
    Hmmm.  Suspiciously similar.  I'll have to pull the service cover on the Alde.
    Our T@B is a 2016.  No condensation in this case.