T@B 400 quality issues

Comments

• PamHowardPamHoward Member Posts: 25
    We bought a 2018 - T@B 400 last month and have camped in it twice.  Right off the bat, the shower leaks out of the bottom of the plastic cover at the floor of the shower.  Yes it leaks into the drain, but this should not be happening.  On our second venture the Alde system did not work, but we called the dealership and they said there is a second fuse under the bed that always goes out...note to self, buy lots of fuses.  Then the cable on the stargazing window slipped out.  We tried and tried to fix it, but no luck.  We called the dealer ship which is a 3 hour one way trip to get to about this issue.  They said that this happens often, but did not offer any help to fix it, but to bring it in.  We also told them about the leak too.  It boils down to we are going to have to take it back into Atlanta traffic to have it all fixed...yuck.  Oh yeah, the closet door on ours does not come out fully so has anyone learned the fix for that??  I still love my T@B and hopefully can get all the bug worked out soon.....we have lots of camping trips planned!!  It is a great design!!!

Pam and Ron, 2018 T@B 400 named Felix, white with black trim, pulled by a 6 cylinder Toyota Truck.

• BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    edited May 2018
    We had the same issue with the leak.  took it to the dealer and they had to replace a couple of parts behind the shield.  An elbow and a connector.  I also had to have them look at the entry door.  We have used ours four times since picking it up in February.  Last trip out found the leak and noticed the entry door was not sealing at the bottom.  Upon closer inspection noticed it does not close flush on the left lower side (about 18") and bottom. On the door handle side  it sticks out about 3/16".  You can see daylight at the bottom of the door from inside when it is closed during the day, about a 3/16" gap as well.  Dealer is waiting to hear from Nucamp about the door. As for the closet door there is a nylon strap on ours at the top to keep it from opening too far.   Remember that closet door actually has cabinet hinges and you don't want to over extend them. Can you take a picture of the location of the fuse you had to replace?  what size fuse is it?
    BigGrover
    2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
    2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
    Central Alabama
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PamHoward said:
    We bought a 2018 - T@B 400 last month and have camped in it twice.  Right off the bat, the shower leaks out of the bottom of the plastic cover at the floor of the shower.  Yes it leaks into the drain, but this should not be happening.  On our second venture the Alde system did not work, but we called the dealership and they said there is a second fuse under the bed that always goes out...note to self, buy lots of fuses.  Then the cable on the stargazing window slipped out.  We tried and tried to fix it, but no luck.  We called the dealer ship which is a 3 hour one way trip to get to about this issue.  They said that this happens often, but did not offer any help to fix it, but to bring it in.  We also told them about the leak too.  It boils down to we are going to have to take it back into Atlanta traffic to have it all fixed...yuck.  Oh yeah, the closet door on ours does not come out fully so has anyone learned the fix for that??  I still love my T@B and hopefully can get all the bug worked out soon.....we have lots of camping trips planned!!  It is a great design!!!

Are you using any time of Power Management System or surge protector? Blown fuses do not seem to happen to folks using a Power Management system. Plus, they can save your bacon in a number of circumsrances.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Good point, in addition to a Power Mgmt System I always turn the battery disconnect off when in storage.  I turn it on when I hook it up to tow on a trip.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Grover, our dealer told us to be sure and open the main door by applying pressure to the lower part of the door when it was locked back into the hold open position.  He said the door can be wracked if you pull it before removing it from the hold open.  Pam, We always make sure the Alde control thermostat is in the off position before applying or removing power to the 400.  I make sure to turn the power to the electric elements 1 and 2 position off then turn the master control on the panel.  If you have not adjusted your mix control valve for the water temp in the alde system, you may want to check into that for additional hot water.  We usually turn the shower boost on before we shower and it will run for about 30 minutes.  some times we turn it back on to get the 2nd shower.  We also found the screens and shades, because of their size need to spread your hands toward the sides when raising or lowering.  I also disconnect the screen from the shade to raise and lower,  this makes it a little easier to work them.  There is a learning curve and sometimes it takes a while to get it all figured out.  We love our 400 and have had it out about 14 times so far since it came last august.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
    Atlas, good to know but so far we have not used the lock back but once per trip and I did pull it from the botto m.  Not because the dealer told me but because it seemed appropriate.  I baby all my stuff.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
    Atlas, when you say you turn the power to elements 1 and 2 offwhere do you do that?  On the master control panel?  I thought when you turned the master control panel off it turned off the juice to the entire Alde system and all elements?
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
    PamHoward, picking our 400 up tomorrow. Talked to the tech who worked on the leak.  He said both elbows cold and hot had to be replaced.  They have compression fittings and washers on both had been deformed from overtightening or misalignment.  Even after replacing washers they still leaked so they replaced the elbows to fix the leak.  Still no response from Nucamp about the warped door. Said they had called and left multiple messages but waiting on return call.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    There have been several posts about warped flooring, does anyone know what's causing it?
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    atlasb said:
    We always make sure the Alde control thermostat is in the off position before applying or removing power to the 400.  I make sure to turn the power to the electric elements 1 and 2 position off then turn the master control on the panel.
    This is the procedure I follow as well with my Alde.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Grover,  I always select the 1 and 2 level for the heat in the alde panel and turn it off then, I also push the upper left button to turn the alde off.  Probably the same as just pushing the main power button but I just want to make sure.  Looking at installing the Progressive ems hw30c power management on the system soon also.  The Alde is all new to us and still working things out.  Our 320 did not have the Alde, but had the Cool cat, Atwood gas heater and electric water heater.  Sure like the Alde especially when I get it all figured out.  Once it builds the heat, it really keeps the cabin nice!
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Roamey said:
    There have been several posts about warped flooring, does anyone know what's causing it?
    That’s a good question. Here’s one thread that suggests it’s an error with the frame. I’ll look for others.
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6573/new-t-b-400-vinyl-flooring-seems-to-be-coming-up
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    Thanks!
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • chugochugo Member Posts: 12
    We had issues where the vinyl had lumps in it.  When we stepped on it, it felt like the floor was coming up as opposed to the vinyl.  Apparently there were some trailers that had something go wrong during manufacturing (we never got an official reason for it).  We ended up having to send it back to the factory to have it repaired.  End to end, it took about a month to get it back.  It was a bummer, but NuCamp stepped up and fixed it without any issues and it looks fine now.
    Chris Hugo
    T@B 400,  TV: 2018 Silverado
    Memphis,TN
  • traceratopstraceratops Member Posts: 5
    Roamey said:
    Our 400 is having the same issue. The person I contacted at NuCamp said the underlayment was not secured properly so it's causing the floor to come up. We will be sending ours back to the factory in October or November to have it fixed.

Dealer fina!!y heard from Nucamp.  Were directed to loosen hinges and try to adjust the door which didn',t fix the problem.  Now waiting on new entry door.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Kevin@7Kevin@7 Member Posts: 66
    I had an issue with one of the cabinet doors above the kitchen where it was warped just enough so it wasn’t latching right or you had to adjust the catch so it didn’t match very well.  NuCamp promptly sent me a replacement and it was their new design which is much nicer.  +1 for great customer service.
    2014 Jeep Cherokee trailhawk
    2018 T@B 400 (white w/ red trim)
    Sorry not to respond sooner.  To be truthful, I could not find my message.  I think it is going to take a bit of time for me to figure out this forum <G>  BigGrover thanks for the info on the leaky elbows.  I figure as much and I sure hate to have to take it back down to Atlanta.  As for where the other fuse for the Alde is under the head of the queen bed. I did not change it, my husband did but we do remember that the dealer gave us a baggie with two extra fuses.  When we called they say it goes out often enough to have extra.    I did call NuCamp over a week ago to ask if they had information on the stargazer window fix.  They have not called me back. I am disappointed they have not called.  I am going to call again.

Pam and Ron, 2018 T@B 400 named Felix, white with black trim, pulled by a 6 cylinder Toyota Truck.

• ChrisandAlexisChrisandAlexis Member Posts: 120
    @PamHoward, regarding finding your messages next time, go to the top of the page and look to the left and there is "My Discussions" that you can click on. 

Chris and Alexis-- Roseville, California--2017 T@B CS-S--Toyota 4Runner
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @PamHoward And if you’re using an iPad, you need to rotate to the horizontal orientation to actually see the left hand column!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• warren207warren207 Member Posts: 46
    We upgraded from the 2017 T@B320 to a 2018T@B400 in May. We camp often and on our first trip out found a few items of concern. First, the door did not close properly (I could put my fingers through the upper right side. Second, had the same issue in the bathroom with separation from the wall. Third, back fabric panel was falling off the wall causing the window to hang crooked. We took it back to the dealer and they “fixed” the issues. However, the next camping trip we found that the door was better but you could see daylight still. The fabric panel was again falling off causing the window shade to be crooked.  Now when we open the shade, the whole thing falls apart (we cannot open the rear “stargazer” window) unless you leave the shade up. The bathroom needs caulking again. The trim piece in the main entry area is falling off the ceiling as well as our 400 numbers falling off the outside. We have also discovered that the plumbing from the shower has been leaking behind the wall and has damaged the wall, flooring and under layment in the “hatch” area in the closet. Have been in touch with NuCamp about this and more. They have been great about getting this corrected. We love the new T@B400. 
    Sara & Mike/2020 AVIA #0066/Denver, CO
    2014 Toyota Sequoia
    Where did you have to go for the tepairs? Back to the dealer?  I can't get the warranty folks to answer an email, did you call them?
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
    When we have had issues, we did call the dealer, but they were not so helpful.  So we called NuCamp and got a response.  What was needed was something that my husband could fix, bo we did not have to make the whole day trip down to the dealership.
    Pam

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Anyone have experience with NuCamp paying for warranty work to be completed at independent RV repair shops? I have a good local shop that can probably fix anything on any make of RV and is where I would go out of warranty, just wondering about in warranty repairs?
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,484
    Contact nuCamp.  Not everybody lives close to the factory.  They may ask you to work with your Dealer.  If you have a special request, just ask nuCamp.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,484
    @BigGrover, I sent you a private message.  Have you attempted to contact nuCamp again?  I would not wait an entire month before I heard from anyone.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    Sharon I have not.  I am just trying to take care of the issues myself for now.  The dealer did work on the shower but I have not had a chance to hook it up and see if they fixed the leak . They did repair the striker plate but the lock isn't quite right.  I am probably going to have to repkace the tumbler or get a whole new lock assembly.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • LSkrabutLSkrabut Member Posts: 136

About the outside main door lock on a 400! I happen to have had 2 different 400's, one a 2018 and the factory replaced 2019. 

Both of them had main outside door lock issues.

2018, I noticed that the door once locked and pulled from the outside as in checking the fact it was locked, pulled open to the outside hole in the striker plate and left the door slightly ajar, (about 1/2"). I discovered that the latch was not really latching in the inboard hole on the striker plate. I had to shim out the frame striker plate a bit but had to have longer metric button head screws to do that (Ace Hardware for me had them). Another note, I was able to lock the door while open and close it to secure the door. 

2019, I discovered that this lock would only lock with the key from the outside. It will lock from the inside once closed. I really like that feature, since one really cannot lock themselves out. But to the issue I had, the door would not lock by the key on delivery unless pushed hard and firmly. I had to adjust the striker plate back and forth to find its happy spot.

Neither issue was hard to correct. The 1st one I found while camping in an RV part and the screws were easily found in town. The 2nd issue I found while checking the 400 out in my driveway. Note the keys are different style on both of those 400’s. They are also hard to locate in the US, since they are from what I was able to determine, made in Italy. Of course Elsie had them for spares if one wanted some.
    J The 2018 was model FAP 1125 Outside, 1118PL Inside. Pretty sure the 2019 are the same, but for the key tumbler itself. http://www.fapweb.it/en/pdf/serrature_accessori.pdf

Utah Driven

2019 T@B 400 (Ex 2018 400)

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

2018 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax CCSB

LSkrabut   think my striker adjustment, what happens is I turn the key to the left to lock it and feel it latch, when I turn the key back vertical to remove the key it unlocks. It takes several tries to get it to stay locked.  Why did you have to get a replacement 400?
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • LSkrabutLSkrabut Member Posts: 136
    2018 400 replacement was due to floor and ceiling issues that Marvin inspected. Also I had rather vocal complaint on the 3010 had noise and dirty exhaust issues and probably due to Alde's max suggested elevation being 3600', being sold in a state which is very hard to located a camping spot that low! I had ask my sale person to ensure this was addressed by the factory since mine was a custom order before the 400 was built in mid Nov. 2017. 

@BigGrover - What happen when you attempt to lock the door in an open position? Does key top turn left to lock and then back to vertical to remove the key? And to unlock, key in vertical and turn the key top to the right to unlock the door handle?  If it doesn't work right, maybe loosen the door lock and tweak it some might take care of the key action when the door is in an open position and the striker is not in play.

Another note, as I seem to remember on the 2018 key, the tumble cuts were in the center of the key. The 2019 the key cuts are on the outside now, on both edges.

Utah Driven

2019 T@B 400 (Ex 2018 400)

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

2018 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax CCSB