Options

Tongue Weight

2»

Comments

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    SAM said:
    We purchased the Sherline scale and I plan to bring it to UCamp in July.  It will be available to measure your tongue weights.  Now that our Tab has been cleaned of the Utah red dust, I can reload our stuff and get our weight.

Sharon
    Excellent! I'd love to use it too! I checked mine with a bathroom scale, will be interesting to see how close it is!

John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    LSkrabutLSkrabut Member Posts: 136
    The range I seen on my 400  using a Sherline 1000 lb. scale

340 - fully loaded with propane, water and stuff in the back and on the bed for a 4 day boondock camp. Spare tire in original location

410 - propane and empty 400, no water or stuff

405 - propane and empty but spare tire under the bed

420  - propane and with some camp stuff and no water

I figure adding water and camp stuff which was a lot under and on the bed makes a world of difference at the back end of the 400 for tongue weight.

stuff = campfire grill, table with 4 stools, 12x12 sun room with floor, 2 camp chairs, 6 gallons of extra drinking water, typical camp items, shovel, rake, axe, wood splitting wedge, electric chain saw, 2500w inverter to run the saw from TV, LED solar light and stakes, 2 camp rugs, pretty complete tool kit.

Point I taken here, how one loads the trailer really is the determining factor on tongue weight. Got to have an easy means of checking, why I got the scale for ease of use and determination of how to safely load a trailer. For me, worth the co$t of the scale to have and USE !

Utah Driven

2019 T@B 400 (Ex 2018 400)

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

2018 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax CCSB

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,529
    Of course, then you should really weigh the fully loaded Tab, too.  Something we have not yet done.  We stopped one time at a truck scale and they did not know how to weigh for tongue weight.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Can someone bring a jack stand to uCamp to use with the Shirline Tongue scale?  I don’t want to haul our cinderblock and brick all the way to Sugarcreek!
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I don’t have a jack stand, but I do have 18 LEGO leveling blocks. Plus 4 stabilizer blocks.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    I think we will purchase a set.  Better than keeping this cinderblock!
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 941
    rcuomo said:
    I just checked my tongue weight at the ball socket.  288.8# with spare mounted on tongue jack, Stromberg Carlson CC-275 bike rack mount (47#), Allen bike rack (~30#) and two bikes (~45#).  That works out to 15.8% with an estimated 1826# trailer weight.
    My experience and measurements tell me most of us carry much more weight than we realize. 
    We carry very little compared to most of the posts and T@B camp sites we have observed.  My actual measurement of weights added to our empty trailer easily exceeded 700 pounds!! (see https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/4748/how-much-stuff-do-you-carry-in-your-t-b-cargo-weights#latest)
    Using the trailer dry weight as delivered in your calculation will significantly over estimate tongue weight percentage.  My guess is by 3-4%.  (289/2500=11.5%)
    Be Careful!
    Have fun!
    Bob

• Options
    @rfuss928, oh, I see what you mean.  @rcuomo needs to add all of that extra weight added to the tongue plus cargo weight to the Tab dry weight, then determine the tongue weight percentage.  
  • Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 414
    Does anyone know the approximate tongue weight of the 320 Boondock? Curious how much weight that platform and tub add. 198 for the plastic tub front with battery and LP.
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    Custom Colors & Custom Interior
    We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    @ColleenD2, I don't see the tongue weight when the Boondock tub/platform is included on the nuCamp RV website either.  I would contact tech@nucamprv.com and ask the question.  
  • Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 414
    edited August 2018
    Thanks so much.
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    Custom Colors & Custom Interior
    We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.