Options

Spare Propane Tank

Does anyone feel the need to carry a spare propane tank? If so, where/how is it mounted?
Peter and Nicki; Quechee, Vt
States Visited Map
2019 Tab 400; 2019 TV Honda Ridgeline

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited March 2018
    1 tank lasts about 2 weeks using it for both heat/hot water and the 3 way fridge, so only if you are dry camping in the same spot for over a week.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    Not so far. We rarely use cabin heat but run the fridge full time and heat water at least once a day for dishwashing. We also have a Weber Q grill that we use often twice a day running off the tank, and that's a pretty big gas hog.

Last year we camped eight days like this and still came home with half a tank of propane!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 927
    Some folks carry one or two 1 pound propane bottles with a (steak saver) adapter for back up.  This allows you to keep running while you take the big tank for refilling. 

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    After 10 outings last season I’ve still got propane left. I do carry a smaller tank for my Little Red Campfire, so that could be a backup if needed. I’m usually hooked up to shore power which is a usage factor. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I keep mine in the truck bed. I camp for 3 to 4 months in the winter and I consider it a necessity as I hate to get cold!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    @peterac50. We are on our first extended trip with mixed hook ups and dry camping.  We have a spare 20# tank that sits nicely in a milk crate and travels in the TaB.  We store it in the tent at the campsite.  I believe I have seen a picture of a front tub with a battery sandwiched between 2 tanks- can’t remember if it is the stock tub or an upgraded tub.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    JanandDaveJanandDave Member Posts: 119
    Thanks to Shawn (Pop-T@B), our tub holds two propane tanks, one hooked up to the tab and the other connected to a 12' hose to run the outdoor grill. Have almost 40 days of camping (some in cold weather) on them without a refill. Can't imagine them both running out at the same time, but just in case, we carry a spare 1 pound tank with adapter.

It's a bit of a squeeze, but the tub also holds the BAL leveler, a wheel lock, jack wheel doughnut, water filter, battery cutoff switch and 25' of water hose with room on top for the 25' 30 amp power cable. The battery sits to the side with another shelf available for a second one when we convert to two six volts in the future.

2016 T@B 320 Max S  "T@BsentMinded"
    2009 Subaru Outback R 3.0
    2022 Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @JanandDave, Soooo, YOU'RE the lucky ones that got professor Shawn's Pop-T@B! If you're frugal, those tanks last a long time! After 2 years, I THINK I'll have mine filled before I head out again. (Just to be on the safe side!) ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Yes, lucky indeed, and very satisfied.  

The list of mods on this trailer are a mile long.

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @JanandDave, I know! I've either read about them, or shared phone conversations with Shawn & @Dalehelman! Great folks to be in contact with & REALLY good friends! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @JanandDave, would you be able to share photos/more details of your dual tank & (potential dual) battery layout?

I don't recall PopTab posting details of this mod!

Sounds like 'just the ticket'...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    @ChanW

Here are some more pics. He did have to move the regulator mount about 1" to the left. The right tank is held in place with an added strap. He built these two wing shelves and bolted them to the frame on either side of the tub. The battery box is bolted to the shelf.

When I go with the two six volt battery setup, since they will be separated, I will use some 5' 4 gauge wires run behind the tub in a loom to make the series circuit. Considered a double battery box, but want to keep the weight balanced. Probably have to add a single junction post near the cut off switch behind the right battery, but in the tub, for all the negative wires. The original sewer hose holder is all gone, as ours is stored under the tub between the A frame, which also holds the long wrench for the stabilizers quite nicely.  Search on Amazon for this...

Insulated Battery Power Junction Post Block 3/8 Lug X 16 thread (Black) Ground

Hope this helps.

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Thanks for sharing. Now it makes sense! (good idea)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    On the T@B itself, we use little to no propane as we rarely use our stove. We use electric heat, and electric hot water. We DO use a tank top heater for outside heat. That does use quite a bit of propane, but for a weekend, we rarely run out. On our two week trip to Disney, we have hit a cold spell, and run out, but they have a propane fill service, so I just have them fill it. So I guess what I'm saying, is I just use the tank that rides on the T@B in it's spot, and just pull it off for the tank top heater, and put it in a tank foot to sit on the ground. When I'm tent camping with the propane tank, it sits in the tank foot in the back of my truck.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL