Options

NuCamp Warranty Service

BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
Got our new T@b 400 back in February.  On our second or third trip out we noticed the door was not closing flush along the handle side and there was an 3/8' gap at the bottom that was letting insects in that were drawn to the light at night.  Took it to the dealer who attempted to adjust per Nucamp directions by loosening the hinges.  It didn't work so NuCamp sent a new door out, taking the T@b in Saturday to get it installed.  Week before last we were camping and I noticed the laminate running along the edge of the table was pulling away in a couple of spots on each side.  About a 1/8" gap in four spots, each an inch or two long.  Got on NuCamp's website and left a note about the issue.  Expected them to tell me to take it to the dealer or re-glue it, and I was prepared to get some adhesive to try to fix it myself.  Today UPS delivered a brand new replacement table.  They are very responsive and I am very pleased. It is refreshing to deal with a good company!!! Jayco and Forest River should take note!!!
BigGrover
2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
Central Alabama

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2018

Based on my experience as a new T@b400 owner buy the one that has a local dealer.  We got ours in February and have had some problems that required us to haul it 80 miles one way back to the dealer. Communication from Nucamp Warranty could have been much better.  I am beginning to think I would have been better advised to purchase a different brand from an in town dealer.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    I forgot to mention it is at the dealership for the third time.  I have emailed Nucamp Warranty to get assistance in ensuring appropriate repairs but they haven't responded in over a week.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 180
    edited August 2018
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Hello from potential T@b 400 buyers in NC.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    BigGrover, let us know when they reply.  I know it is frustrating dealing with issues, but in the end, nuCamp will deliver and you will love your 400.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    I may have a gap in the door frame, too, in the spot where you described. Did the new door close the gap properly? 
    I live 35 miles from the closest RV dealer of anything. I'm fortunate to have a T@B dealer that close. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    My door was riginally warped and had a gap at the bottom.  Dealer got a new door and frame and installed it and it was worse. If you look at the picture after the repair you can see they warped the frame by over tightening the screws under the latch, bowing the center. It is worse than before. Since this may be a portent of things to come we are going to try to sell it when they get the door fixed and take a loss and move on.  Don't need the ongoing aggravation.  I retired 18 months ago due to medical reasons and was hoping to camp and relax a while before becoming completely unable but need to get away from this sort of aggravation.  We also had the leaking shower problem and dining table laminate peeling off.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    Thanks, BG. My light leak is much smaller and I'll stick with it as is. It's a cloudy day so it doesn't look as significant as it has been. I can usually see the leak higher than it is today. 

Also, and you should never start a sentence with also, while I was washing it today for the first time and towel drying off the back, the right rear reflector flew off. I'm just going to glue it back on. The adhesive tape seems shot after 2 weeks and does have a deformed area on it, so it won't stick snugly. No problem. 

Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    Here's how the gap looks today agter their repair

BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    It looks much better. Are you okay with it?
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    robptrobpt Member Posts: 90
    Based on my experience as a new T@b400 owner buy the one that has a local dealer.

Truer words have never been spoken. I realized that shortly after getting my 400. Everything from the giant battery breaking loose on it's delivery from North Carolina, ripping out some of the harness with it, to a damaged HDMI connector that required routing a whole new cable, to the window screen issue, I've had to do the service work to repair it under warranty. There was never an option of taking it some place close by (that would be Camping World whose reputation is abysmal - no way), and it is never an option given to me when I contact the warranty claims department. Luckily, I have not had the shower leaking issue or the door seal issue, but if I do, I'll be the service department. Driving 10 hours back to the dealer, when I also have a job to maintain with little precious leave time, isn't an option. And as @BigGrover found out, sometimes the dealer can't be counted on to do the repairs correctly. 

This is not an attack against Nucamp for those who will take it as such, they have sent me parts in a timely manner on most items (I won't get into the HDMI issue), it's just something that I should have taken into consideration. You don't always think about issues in the first year of ownership when you're blown away by the design.  For a warranty to mean something, you have to be a reasonable distance from the service department, and be dealing with a service department that will correctly do the work. I sure envy those who are close enough to drive directly to the Nucamp factory. 

North Florida T@B 400 towed by a 2014 Nissan Frontier
  • Options
    Absolutely agree Robpt.  I am 69 and doing my own camper work gets harder each year though I think I could do it better than some of the folks who do it for a living. Throw in my recent health problems and it just is not doable.

Nucamp has been quick to send replacement/repair parts. (With our last Jayco it usually was weeks instead of days waiting on parts) The laminate on our dining table started to peel away.  I got on the Nucamp website and notified them. Expeced to get instructions on re-gluing it or a request for pictures.  They immediately sent a whole new table within a week.  I just haven't gotten aroud to swapping over the hardware yet. This is our sixth camper in the last forty years.  The only two that never needed warranty work were a Jayco pop up we bought in 1984 and a Forest River A-frame .  We traded in a Jayco Hybrid for the 400.  We had that particular Jayco for two years but every time we used it something went bad, it spent 8 of the 24 months we owned it at the dealership either waiting for repairs or repair parts.  Two campers before that we had a Puma that had continuous wiring and plumbing issues.  After researching on the web, we ordered the 400 for our retirement camper because of all the high reviews on quality and support.  Just remember, THE BEST WARRANTY IS THE ONE YOU NEVER HAVE TO USE. 
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I hope you guys are sending your lackluster dealer experiences directly to nüCamp. I know they are looking to elevate the dealer experience.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Absolutely, I sent an email with pictures to the dealership GM , sales manager and CC'd Renee at Nucamp warranty.  My camper's issue was exacerbated by the dealer's tech.  
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    My opinion is that warranty work is mostly a joke done to get it out of shop. Part of that is around here anyway and is suspect in all RV sales organizations they are selling many brands and aren't exclusive to NuCamp products, just another unit to fix as quick and as cheaply as possible with no factory trained NuCamp techs as you would fine in an auto dealership.

I am still in the wannabe owner category but if I purchase, likely will just have all repairs done at a local RV shop who does good work and where I personally know the owner. They aren't a dealer, but the owner knows RV's and has even built a really nice truck camper from scratch that at one time he was going to produce, I think the cost for the quality priced him out of that being a viable business plan.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Well, it's back to the dealership again, took the T@b 400 out for the weekend and the water leak in the shower is back. This thing is just the gift that keeps on giving!
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404

To begin I have been reading this forum for over two years, learning all about this wonderful camper, RVing and the digesting all the great tips and mod ideas from this community. Only last month we finally took the step and bought 6-month-old second hand 320S. The camper has been used only once by the previous owner and is practically brand new, I am already noticing minor issues even before we take our first trip, I am sure I can take care of the minor issues but what concerns me are the more serious issues I am reading about in this forum. There is no dealer nearby and the factory is 10 hours away so if a major issue pops-up I am in trouble. Some of you commented that the quality issues are the norm in the RV industry and some blame the dealers for the inability to resolve these issues. I don’t accept that the quality issues are the norm and putting the responsibility on the dealers.  It appears that most of the issues described here stem from production and quality control. Yes, the warranty issues should be addressed by the dealers, but the root cause of these issues needs to be acknowledged and addressed by the manufacturer and prevent from happening. I’ve read nothing but wonderful comments about the NuCamp and their response in addressing the problems some of you encountered, I don’t doubt their commitment, but I think it’s in their best interest to improve the quality of their product and stand out from the crowd.

Looking forward to new adventures in our T@B

Regards and Happy Camping
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    webers3 said:

To begin I have been reading this forum for over two years, learning all about this wonderful camper, RVing and the digesting all the great tips and mod ideas from this community. Only last month we finally took the step and bought 6-month-old second hand 320S. The camper has been used only once by the previous owner and is practically brand new, I am already noticing minor issues even before we take our first trip, I am sure I can take care of the minor issues but what concerns me are the more serious issues I am reading about in this forum. There is no dealer nearby and the factory is 10 hours away so if a major issue pops-up I am in trouble. Some of you commented that the quality issues are the norm in the RV industry and some blame the dealers for the inability to resolve these issues. I don’t accept that the quality issues are the norm and putting the responsibility on the dealers.  It appears that most of the issues described here stem from production and quality control. Yes, the warranty issues should be addressed by the dealers, but the root cause of these issues needs to be acknowledged and addressed by the manufacturer and prevent from happening. I’ve read nothing but wonderful comments about the NuCamp and their response in addressing the problems some of you encountered, I don’t doubt their commitment, but I think it’s in their best interest to improve the quality of their product and stand out from the crowd.

Looking forward to new adventures in our T@B

Regards and Happy Camping

What are your suggestions?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    dhaufdhauf Member Posts: 199
    edited September 2018
    You know it’s interesting reading this to me as well.  My wife and I also jumped in on purchasing a brand new 320S and we had nothing but issues with it.  That being said it is under warranty and they are going to be sending us a new unit.  I still have not had much in the way of communication (unless I initiate it) on the whole process from NuCamp and I think that is one thing they can improve upon.  They are however are doing right by me so far by replacing my unit because I had so many issues.  The thing is this may not necessarily be NuCamps fault.  I suspect some of these units are subject to some abuse on the dealers lot from people checking them out and then not being maintained or checked well enough while sitting on the lot, which can be for extended periods of time.  I am starting to see signs that mine may have sat around for a while since the toungue and step are starting to rust up a bit and look rather faded.  Even thought these things may leave the factory perfect and they were QC’d before they leave the factory, once they are on the dealer lot in full sun for many days/months anything can happen.  To me the dealer should be trained to check for problem areas before delivering to the customer.  I do know NuCamp did have some problems with floor bubbling and some plumbing issues that I’ve heard about, which may just be a defective product they are installing that causes it to fail before it should.  This again isn’t their fault but rather a faulty batch from the supplier.  Anyway as far as trailers go I still think this is one of the best quality units you will find out there.  It is a house on wheels and things need to be maintained and cared for.  Inevitably things will fail and need repair as anything in life.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Weber I agree, the mfr and not the dealer should be the one most responsible.  I don't know but that Nucamp should have some major regional "dealers" better trained on T@b repairs.  This will be my fourth 170 mile round trip for the door issue and the third for the shower leak.  I have no doubt the factory QC is good but, as stated, things happen in between and suppliers sometimes have bad runs of parts.  I could have bought an R-Pod or Jayco Hummingbird for about half of what we paid for the 400 but thought we were buying a higher quality product that would have fewer warranty repairs and issues. The reps at the factory, in my opinion, could be more responsive.  It is not unusual to take 4 or more days to respond to an email.  They did give me a list of other dealers I could take my T@b to for repairs but they were all much further away than the one who sold me the unit. This is our 6th unit, we've had Jaycos, Flagstaffs and a couple others.  Our T@b is turning out to be the most troublesome because of the inadequate dealer support. They always get it right in for service but don't make good repairs. My 82 Jayco and my Flagstaff A-Frame never had anything fail while my 2014 Jayco Hybrid was always needing something repaired.  
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    Jaxie985Jaxie985 Member Posts: 49
    If I had it to do over again, I’d use a thorough checklist and go through every single system and component in the trailer with the dealer technician before closing the deal. So many things were glossed over and not demonstrated to me, and then ended up not working when I needed them. I wonder sometimes why my expectations were so far off the mark? 
    2018 T@B 320 Boondock 
    2018 Nissan Frontier
    Kennebunk, ME USA
  • Options
    Goid luck, I hope you have better luck with the dealer and factory reps than I did.  My last email to Nucamp was atound 9/4 and they still haven't responded.  
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama