Options

Newbie Pains

Jaxie985Jaxie985 Member Posts: 49
Shakedown cruise over, Gatsby and I have headed out. Either I’m confident all will be well and I’ll deal with experiences as they come, or I’m blind stupid headed into disaster. I prefer the former mindset. 
Still haven’t mastered the refrigerator lighting on propane, despite doing EXACTLY what I’m told will work. In the interim, I have purchased a fairly decent cooler and merely transfer perishable food to it between plug in stops. Eventually I’ll get to the NuCamp factory and see what they can do or it will light reliably when I try. Grrr... 
I feel like I’d be happier with an electric source other than expensive campgrounds. Solar or generator? If you have a generator, do you just run it for a little while? I don’t use the AC or TV and have no appliances other than an extra lamp or two. I think solar would be better but want it beefy enough to run the fridge (see propane problem above). I have no experience with electrical things so haven’t a clue about running wires, etc. 200W solar plus 2 6 volt golf batteries plus an  inverter seems to be what I need. No longer having a home to which things can be shipped, I face the dilemma of how to get these things?
2018 T@B 320 Boondock 
2018 Nissan Frontier
Kennebunk, ME USA

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    @Jaxie985 so sorry for shakedown woes!! I understand the fridge frustration. Sometimes it is user error, sometimes it is Norcold. Why don't you share, exactly what you are doing and perhaps we can help. 

My fridge stressed me out the entire first year, so I get it!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    Hi @Jaxie985, welcome to the forum.  Looks like you are going full time.  Nothing like jumping in with both feet!  You will be fine.  There is a learning curve and the forum resources are a great value.  

Regarding the Norcold on propane.  Here is some info from the forum that may help.  The full discussion is at the bottom.
    Let us know if you have success.

Sharon

Make sure your Tab is level front to back and side to side.

Close the valve on the propane tank. Then open it up slowly all the way. Make sure the stove stays lit before trying to start fridg. If propane valve is opened too fast, a safety valve inside the tank automatically shuts off the fuel flow. Leveling has no effect on lighting the fridge only when running it.

“The newer fridges are different then the 2016's. It takes awhile to get the gas down to the burner. Push and hold the button down while snapping the ignitor. You must hold the gas knob in until the dial moves into the green. There is a lot of air in the gas line to purge the first time.”

Someone had success by closing the Tab door.  Breeze implicated in preventing lighting.

TabazTabaz Posts: 1,379Member

This sequence has allowed me to start the frig on propane on the very first try for over a year now.  This is a 2016 Norcold with the "guts" on the left side:

Level the trailer.

Open valve on propane bottle very slowly.

Light one burner on the stove and leave it on for about 40 seconds.  Turn off the stove.

Move the temperature knob on the Norcold to the 6 O'clock position.

Push the red ignition button in and hold until the green light comes on.

Wait no less than 60 seconds while holding the red button in with the green light on.

SLOWLY release the red button.  The frig should now be lit and the green light on.

Hope this helps.

MuttonChopsMuttonChops Posts: 208Member
     April 6 edited April 7 50.54.181.226
    @TikiBarTab 

Am also a 2018 Model owner and had a bit of trouble getting the propane to operate the first time.  While the above how-to-light instructions are helpful they all sound like pre-2018 Fridge model.

For the 2018 model:
     - A -   There is no green eye pilot light, there is an analog gauge, marked white, red line, green.
     - B -   The pilot spark button is just like a home grill one push equals one spark.

Each time the operator pushes the spark button the analog gauge jumps in the white area and returns to zero which is very,very confusing.

Fridge Owners Manual sequence has worked for me with minor forum additions . . .
      - 1 -  Trailer level.
      - 2 -   Propane on, and range burner test completed.
      - 3 -   Set Propane flame knob to high
      - 4 -   Set power source to Propane
      - 5 -   Press in and HOLD Propane flame knob
      - 6 -   Press spark button three times
      - 7 -   WAIT while HOLDING Propane flame knob in
      - 8 -   Watch analog gauge, normal start . . .
                 - 8.1 -  needle will reach red line
                 - 8.2 -  needle will enter Green area
                 - 8.3 -  CONTINUE to HOLD Propane flame knob in
                 - 8.4 -  needle will reach mid-point of Green area
      - 9 -   Release Propane flame knob.

Owners manual says press spark button up to five times seconds  I've found with a new unit it lights in 2 - 3  sparks.

After the first training session I have started the Fridge on propane successfully three times** using the above 9 steps.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6733/2018-norcold-fridge-won-t-start-on-propane/p1

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    Welcome @Jaxie985! After much frustration, many attempts and finally researching the Forum archives I found the magic trick for lighting my Norcold fridge on propane! I have the 2017 320S model, and different model years have different igniter sequences and different quirks. Follow the instructions on opening the propane tank valve slowly, lighting one stove burner for a minute or two then turn it off, turn the mode knob to the propane flame, turn the propane temp to the middle - NOT on high like the instructions say, hold the far right knob in/on while pushing the igniter button until the red line goes over to the green side and stays there. Wait a few moments, then release the far right knob. Your fridge should stay lit. I love using the propane setting because it uses so little! 

As for solar I just bought the ACOPower 120w portable solar setup on Amazon. It weighs just over 8#, a plus for me. I tried it last week while camping and could run my Fantastic Fan and charge my mobile hot spot at the same time, keeping 12.3-12.4 the whole time. I just picked up a 12v oscillating fan as I tend to wilt in the heat. Another Tabber and I bought them at the same time and she discovered that if you call the company and they can verify your order has been placed they will mail you a 15’ controller to solar outlet power cord, no charge if you offer a review. Add two padlocks and a cable strung between your trailer and the unit to lock it up and you’ve got a great setup! Good luck with it!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    @MuttonChops and everyone else who chimed in. About a week ago, I headed back to the Maine dealership for the second time... and a tech there had the same difficulty I did lighting it, but after adjusting the spark, he got it to light. I really believed that was the fix!
    It stayed on for a few hours but went out before I got to my next stop a few hours later. I tried all the relighting steps to no avail.
    I wrote in to nuCamp and they replied with these same steps, except to say the spark has to be clicked very fast, faster than you think. Nope. I have tried turning the tank off and slowly on, lighting the stove, setting the knobs just as directed, holding the valve knob in and clicking fast and slow and it has never never started. I admit to being grateful when I can plug in and not trying to light it except at moments when I I’m ready to move on. But I have to get it to work or I won’t feel happy dry camping.
    2018 T@B 320 Boondock 
    2018 Nissan Frontier
    Kennebunk, ME USA
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    @Jaxie985, regarding solar or generator.  Camping a lot in shaded areas and/or needing air conditioning or having a low amperage battery, seem to be the determining factors in using a generator.  Those full timers who camp in areas of regular sun and/or higher elevations (use fan for cooling) seem to do fine with an ample battery capacity (two 6 volts for 235 amps) and 120 - 200 watts of solar depending on season, local sun, and personal usage.  If you need to run things that require 120 v (hair dryer, C-Pap, charging Laptops, microwaves, coffee pots, etc) you will require an inverter.  I think you will be ahead of the game if you determine your personal amperage requirements first, then increase battery capacity, then determine your need for solar and/or generator.  Good luck.  There is lots of info available on the forum.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @Jaxie985 try lighting it with the temp on two flames/middle setting. I’ve also never driven with the propane on, so I’m not much help there.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    SueBCSueBC Member Posts: 70
    Jaxie985 - "It stayed on for a few hours but went out before I got to my next stop a few hours later."

You are not using propane while traveling are you? - to me, that would be a big no-no.
    SueBC
    British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    Jaxie985 said:
    It stayed on for a few hours but went out before I got to my next stop a few hours later. I tried all the relighting steps to no avail.

I'm in the group does not think having the propane on while traveling is wise, I'm 100% 12VDC when driving.

Since writing my original multi-step procedure for lighting the newer 180.3 I've noticed a change as the "sparker" has aged (and it is only a few months old):
     -  it does help to use fast sparks as NuCamp and others recommend.
     -  if the unit has been off for more than a few hours the first "it's in the green" won't hold
         more than 30 seconds to 2 minutes.  Assume the sensor is not getting hot enough.
         The second lighting is much easier and that one generally holds.
     -  I've found flooding the sparker with gas helps but is a bit concerning, as I can hear the explosion
         when it ignites.  The same type of POP we hear on out BBQ grills.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Jaxie985, agree with @SueBC and @MuttonChops. Driving with the fridge operating on propane is a definite no-no for us. Years ago I watched a small travel trailer and its tow vehicle burn in only minutes after a very minor fender bender. The family got out to survey the damage when they felt the bump from behind, but within seconds the trailer was burning and the dad couldn't get it unhitched in time to prevent the fire from consuming the tow vehicle. They had literally, seconds. Fire department responded but it was too late. Dad admitted to driving with the fridge on propane. For me, lesson learned, however YMMV. 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    I appreciate all the comments! Fueled with resolve that the refrigerator would light if I approached it with grit and confidence, it did indeed light after much clicking of the spark and has done so 3 more times since then so I feel much more confident I can run it on propane when electric plug ins aren’t available. As I head west, dry camping is going to be more and more of an option.
    The solar issue—I will continue to research the options. I’m actually in Sugarcreek now, planning to take advantage of a factory tour Monday morning. I’ll pay particular attention to where I can screw in things without encountering surprises behind walls.
    I checked and they can install 100W solar in midSept for $1100, which is probably a fair price for that service but I’m sure I can do better myself with movable panels or ones I can attach myself. See how emboldened I’m getting to be? There’s hope for me yet! I still have a bit of work to do researching controllers and inverters.

2018 T@B 320 Boondock 
    2018 Nissan Frontier
    Kennebunk, ME USA
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    @Jaxie985, I'm curious to see how your "grit and confidence" approach works long term. I swear that darn refrigerator is possessed, and it definitely senses your mood. I've had reasonable success with the "patience and Zen" approach myself, but I'm always looking for new ideas.  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @Jaxie985 sounds like you are finding your footing with all of this! Here is a  link to the solar set I bought this month on Amazon. So far I'm happy with it, and I LOVE the weight! I bought a 20' thick cable lead for dogs and will padlock one end to the trailer tongue, one end to the suitcase. Have fun!
    https://www.acopower.com/product/solar-charger-pack/acopower-120w-12v-mono-foldable-charger
  • Options
    SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
    @Homebodyatheart... are you finding the 15' power cord long enough?  I'd like a few more feet so I'd can move the panels out farther behind the T@B
    2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle
  • Options
    I've only used it once and 15' was more than enough. Does ACOPower offer a 20' cord?
  • Options
    SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
    Waiting to hear back from them.
    2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle
  • Options
    I ended up buying A foldable flexible panel 160W kit from Lensun. It hasn’t been delivered yet; I should have it next week. 
    I’m just finishing up a stay in Door County , WI. 
    Have had electric plug in for the past week, but I have had success with the lighting the Norcold, so that’s something positive. 
    2018 T@B 320 Boondock 
    2018 Nissan Frontier
    Kennebunk, ME USA
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Lensum makes a good solar oanel. That should be a good set up for you.

Congrats on getting the fridge going. That always feels like an accomplishment 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014