Options

How far to you typically travel each day?

In days gone by I rode motorcycles (A GoldWing - aka Couch Rocket) I figured I had been Lucky long enough and switched to a travel trailer. During a road trip on the bike we would typically plan on travelling about 500 miles per day. What is the typical distance you plan to travel when you are trying to get from point A to B. Knowing that you will need to reserve time to set up camp upon arrival. 
Gerri (Gary) Ewing
Montgomery TX (Birthplace of the Texas Flag)
2018 320 S - "No Agenda Hacienda"
Tow Vehicle 2023 Honda Pilot AWD

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    edited August 2018
    I've too few adventures to know what is best for me.  Am currently planning trips at 200 - 250 miles per day.  When I'm forced to plan for 300+ I also try to get a no driving rest day in very soon after.
    Years ago 500 miles was a light day, 800 miles a great day . . . no more Body & Mind can't do it.  & now I've time
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    If I'm doing a "traveling" trip, I try for less than 300 miles per day, but I don't do those very often. Most of the time I'm going to a destination, then returning home. Going there, I do leave after work the night before and get a few hours of driving behind me, then do a pull through campsite for an overnight stop. Then finish to my destination the next day. 150 miles is my limit for a regular weekend trip (2 nights). 400-500 miles is about my max for a 3-day weekend. (150-200 miles the first night, then finish the next day), straight home on Sunday. I've never done a trip where my ultimate destination was more than 700 miles.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I don't  have the luxury of extra vacation days when I travel cross country. I put in some long days I try not to go much past 10 hours ina  day, though.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    We did 2000 miles in 4.5 days getting to a graduation. I can tell you-we will not be doing that again, ever. No. Huh huh, nope. I’m too old for that stuff! 
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    This past spring, DH and I towed Cleveland to Moab, Utah.  We take turns and plan for no more than 400 miles a day.  When you are only going 62 mph, stop for lunch and breaks, that is a solid 8 hours of travel time.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I read somewhere that the full-timer retired folks recommend no more than 200 miles a day, and no stops less than 2 nights.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    A lot of people making tracks do not bother to unhitch or even put down stabilizers.  I think most will minimize what they need to do and avoid a big set up and break down.  We actually stayed in motels along the way.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    In days gone by I rode motorcycles (A GoldWing - aka Couch Rocket) I figured I had been Lucky long enough and switched to a travel trailer. During a road trip on the bike we would typically plan on travelling about 500 miles per day. What is the typical distance you plan to travel when you are trying to get from point A to B. Knowing that you will need to reserve time to set up camp upon arrival. 
    Riding a motorcycle or driving a sportscar can be fun. I don't think that anyone describes towing as fun. Sometimes the scenery is pretty, but it's not fun driving. So you can't really compare what you covered on a bike with what you'll cover while towing.
    I try to go by time traveled rather than distance traveled. Driving a couple hundred miles down Highway 1 along the California coast is not the same as traveling a couple hundred miles down I5. 
    I really don't want to drive more than 4 hours in a day. Especially if I'm driving again the next day. 
    If you want to go by distance I'd say that <200mi will save your sanity. You can do longer if you're not going to have to drive the next day.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @BogieMeister, reading the above responses, I guess we're not typical. 500-750 per day is our average towing when doing distance. That being said, I love driving. That's my vacation. We tow at about 62 mph. Travel for us is a pleasure, but because we have kids, it has to more organized and precise than most who do not. I don't sleep much and get up around 4 or 5, make lunches, pack the cooler and get dressed. I get the others up, they dress and I feed them. With 4 of us, set up and break down is very fast. Driving, we take pictures when we enter states, pull off at scenic look-outs and historical markers. We rarely stop for lunch, eating and snacking from the cooler. Wherever we stop for the night, we try to find a local grocery store. Seeing the different items stocked tells us a bit about the different areas of the country we are in, and gives the kids a chance to learn something regional. Our first real trip was 6 weeks, 10,000 miles and I think 21 states. The next year was 7,000 miles and 9 more states. That was in 2 1/2 weeks. I admit to being selfish, and drive almost exclusively.  My DH is always well rested. And I'm probably more literal than most. When we go, we travel.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Like @Sharon_is_SAM pointed out, unless it is summer and AC is needed, I tend to pull into Walmart and essentially go straight to bed. No Jack's, no unhitching. I have also been known to pull over and take a nap, as needed so that I am not driving sleepily if I feel myself getting tired. It was a huge help to have my sister-in-law with me to share driving last summer. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Around 300 miles, and we plan things so we stop in time to make camp before dinner time. We also spend two nights in a location so we have a day to explore the area.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    FreshaireFreshaire Member Posts: 97
    I don't pay much attention to the miles, I just drive as long as I can so that I can get where I am going.   On a recent trip to Nova Scotia, from Virginia, I drove 12 - 15 hours a day for three days.  Did the same heading home.  It wasn't fun, but I did get thru several books on CD and I had maximum time to play at my destination.
    2015 T@b 320S Maxx Outback, aka "Alie Cat"
    TV:  2012 Honda Ridgeline

Alice
    Crozet, VA
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    edited August 2018
    I think more in terms of time than miles. Including gas, lunch, and pit stops, I've done a few nine hour days covering 350-450 miles on secondary roads. That's long enough and I'll generally only commit to that much driving if I'm gonna' just do it for one day and stay for a week!
    That said, that would be way more distance than I would want to cover on a motorcycle in one day. While it is more fun, it's also more tiring. And anyway, on a bike, the journey is as big a draw as the destination. However, @BogieMeister, you sound like a real road warrior so you might have no issue burning some significant miles with your T@B in tow.  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    My well-seasoned body will only tolerate about 4-5 hours at a time, or about 250-300 miles. That being said, earlier this year I did an 8 hour trip from Spokane to Junction City, Oregon. Thank goodness I wasn't towing on that trip, as the traffic between Portland & Salem is horrific at best. Getting used to doing all the driving without any relief other than the occasional "rest stop" has been an experience all in itself. Just another reason on the I miss Liz a lot list. 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Newbomb_TurkNewbomb_Turk Member Posts: 18
    edited August 2018

A few weeks ago, we did Fort Worth to Bandelier National Monument in 13 hours.  That's 662 miles, which averages about 50mph including stops for meals, gas, and stretching our legs. 

That was a bit of a chore, so for future planning, we looking at 450 miles/day, or about 9 hours per leg.  (Hello, Tucumcari KOA!)

Agree with @Freshaire 's books on CD idea, and would add that Sirius XM Radio Classics and ESPNU get us through the long cell service deserts.

• Options
    @ericnliz, it is a different experience for solo drivers.  I can't imagine driving solo more than 6 hours max.  
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    edited August 2018
    I have a CDL although not currently driving professionally. I figure hours of service (HOS) are a decent guideline which is 11 hours of driving out of a 14 hour window and then required 10 hours off. No mileage limits on professional drivers, just hours. I figure even in a big truck governed at 65 (on cruise) that I can average around 45-50 MPH for a shift typically make 500 miles a day easily enough. Never drive tired no matter what!!! You have to also know that big rigs are designed for that kind of mileage and generally I was less tired doing that than the same miles in a small vehicle. All that said, do what you feel safe doing, but likely you will be under 500 miles a day and above all enjoy the journey, it can be as fun or more fun than the destination!
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM, depends on the solo driver. Sans trailer,  I routinely drive from my home to Clearwater, Florida straight through and by myself. It takes only two fuel/potty stops to travel 1,200 miles when departing with a full fuel tank. As I said previously, when I go, I travel. For me, driving is the enjoyment and the vacation. I can easily haul the trailer 700 to 800 miles  day, for several consecutive days, with no problems. 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @dragonsdofly Dragons really do fly!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    @jgram2, yes they (I) do!
  • Options
    VeronicaVeronica Member Posts: 12
    We find that 300-400 miles a day towing our camper is a good day.  My mom and I went to Alberta Canada from South Carolina 2 yrs ago. So, we would drive as far as we felt comfortable and stop well before sunset.  When we hit the halfway point, we took 2 nights and stopped and did sightseeing then hauled it up to Alberta where we stayed 3 or 4 nights in Banff, 3 or 4 nights in Jasper, and 3 days in Waterton Lakes.  Going home we did the same except we didn't stop 2 nights half way. We just wanted to get home still that point.  

It was quite a trip, but our average daily mileage was 8hrs including stops and roughly 350 miles per day.

My family traveled when I was growing up - going to California and back from SC and stopping along the way with a PaceArrow rv.  We went out to the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone.  So, roughly this is what we'd average in the class a.
    First T@b trip August 15-Sept??, 2016.
    Nights in T@b: 23 (so far)
    States visited (including driving through): SC, NC, TN, KY, OH, IN, IL, WI, MN, ND, MT, AB (Alberta, Canada), MT, WY, SD and counting. 

• Options
    dgrovebeesdgrovebees Member Posts: 6
    My wife and I just purchased a T@B400 Boondock and Gas powered Toyota Highlander (5000lb tow capacity). Planning to drive Pittsburgh to Glacier National Park in 5 or 6 days. Is this crazy? I will drive alone most of the days, with occasional break from our 19 and 16 year old drivers.I know there is a range of duration out there--very entertaining and informative to read all the posts! Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 131
    I have done one long haul trip towing my Tab 400, and that was from Minneapolis area to New England last fall, starting in Connecticut.  1350 total miles one way, which I covered in 3 days.  Solo driver, 60 mph max.  My target is 500 miles per day, although I did 560 on day one to get thru Chicago.  My then 1 yr old pup was a trooper and was rewarded with a nice long walk each eve.  Two gas/pit stops per day.   My goal was to reach my destination as efficiently and safely as possible so that we could start our 5-week adventure thru New England.

Like others, I did not unhitch or put down stabilizers on travel days.  I did hook up the electrical.  I had leftovers ready to heat for dinner and a light quick breakfast in the AM.  Snacks in the Jeep.

Once I got to New England I spent several days in eacl location before moving on.  

This approach worked fine for me for now.  But then my parents tossed us kids in the back of the station wagon with a cooler full of bologne sandwiches and pudding pops and away we went.
    --Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,002
    I think that is very reasonable.  At 500 miles a day you can drive it in 4 days.  If you want to take your time and stop to check a few sights out along the way take the whole 6 days.  The longest I've gone in one day with the 400 so far is 600 miles and it was not so bad.  I did 2/3 of the driving and my wife the other 1/3. Get some good podcasts and music and enjoy.  If we are going someplace to spend a week or so, say Glacier, Yellowstone, or the Black Hills, we typically drive as quick as we can to get to where we are going.  One long day or one overnighter.  Lucky for us living out west it's rare we need to spend more than one night on the road to get where we are going. On the way home we usually plan an extra day or two and drive slower usually stopping along the way to see some obscure National Monument or Historic site.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited July 2022
    When I was young…. I used to drive from SanFrancisco to San Diego in a single one long day trip.  The last time I did this, I was 49, and this was the last time, starting from San Diego to SF, and getting in late a night, after more than 10 hours on the road.  That is a little more than 500 miles.  Never again!  Now my day limit is 200-300 miles max, towing or not.  Our next planned trip is going to be 225 miles to Lodi Calif,

Our TaB trips we try to keep the day at around 200 miles of driving, with a rest stop midway.  At 70, I am not in any hurry, and take my time to enjoy the trip, driving a 55-60mph max, 45mph average on the coast roads, like Highway 1.  
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    In hammer mode, 10 to 12 hours of driving is the goal. Mileage is secondary. It is what it is. Stops are only for gas. We generally stay in hotels and book while we are in transit. That provides a bit of flexibility to go longer or shorter depending upon our mood and the weather. Driving in rain and wind sucks it out of you more quickly than nice sunny conditions do. 
    Once we get to the target local, we try to move only once a week. 
  • Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 188
    We’re in our late 60’s and travel w a 70 lb lab. We just did a 4200 mile trip and realized 350-400 mile days are too long for us anymore. Back when, it was no big deal to knock off 500 miles. Now 250-300 is more like it. Time to walk the dog, relax with a cold beer, cook, pick the banjo a bit ..,  And time for an extra cup of coffee in the morning if we want. Enjoy the journey!
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    We have been retired almost 20 years and have traveled and camped all over the country, settling in Minnesota for the summer and Arizona in winter.  What a great time, and we look forward to much more.

We also look at hours traveled rather than miles, and try for interesting destinations along the way each day.  The biggest change over the years is the increasing amount of people everywhere. On the road, at the campground, at the destination.  A trip from Tucson to Grand Canyon now is virtually bumper-to-bumper the whole way.  Anywhere near the southern/central California coast is awful.  We haven't been north of San Francisco in years so can't speak for that.  Then there is the semi traffic on most interstates.

This increased density of people surely makes travel more difficult and tiring than in past years.  It's much harder to plan for miles, except in the central states.

Doug
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    Recently this spring we travelled cross country 8500 miles over 43 days, (14 National Parks) and used 300 miles as our target travel day. Our previous long trip (9500 miles/36 days) in 2019 our average travel day was closer to 375-400 miles and found this trip was more comfortable. We completed visiting the lower 48 states (and three Canadian Provinces) in our 2018 400 and have continually tweaked our trips based on our previous experiences.
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 268
    250-350 miles per day
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX