Options

Solar keeping up?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @JEB, we had an old Servel propane fridge at our cottage. No battery. Thermostat worked with no electricity. I believe non-electric thermocouples are used in these.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Ok, so now I'm wondering about that flame meter on the fridge!
    The flame indicator needle looks & moves very much like one powered by electronics.  Could that be a purely mechanical device too, and if so, how does that work?

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @brianz it generates a small electric current when exposed to heat.....the website doesn't call it a thermocouple but I imagine it is similar
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,442
    If you really want to know the answer for your particular model, go out and start your fridge on propane, then turn off your battery and see what happens.  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Jeez @ScottG, that's too easy!  :o
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    lpantherslpanthers Member Posts: 32
    Getting back to the solar charging issue.  I was also concerned about whether or not the NuCamp installed solar panel is actually charging the battery.  I guess I need to check the batteries in my 2020 Tab 400 to see what actually is connected and to see the controller.
    Also, has anyone installed the Victron BMV-712 battery monitor in their Tab 400.  

• Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    BrianZ said:
    Ok, so now I'm wondering about that flame meter on the fridge!
    The flame indicator needle looks & moves very much like one powered by electronics.  Could that be a purely mechanical device too, and if so, how does that work?

From what I can tell, but have not tested, the fridge will work without any AC or DC power when in LP mode, much like a residential natural gas water heater.  The thermocouple develops a small (mv) electrical voltage when the bi-metal element in the thermocouple is subjected to heat.  The voltage is used for two things, (1) to power the flame meter so that the user know the flame is on, and (2) and more importantly to power the LP control valve to allow continuous LP flow to the burner.  

It is this very simple LP control system that does not have support for automatic lighting or re-lighting and automatic temperature control that is found on most RV refrigerators.  It would be a very cool (no pun intended) mod if someone would adapt an RV fridge control board for this fridge to provide automatic operation.  I'd be willing to pay $200 for the parts to do so. 
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    PamandJohnUpNorth2PamandJohnUpNorth2 Member Posts: 141
    edited July 2019
    @lpanthers There are a couple threads on the BMV-712...here is one on installation:You can monitor the Victron solar charge controller in real time with bluetooth on a smartphone using the free "Victron Connect" app.
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota
    2018 T@B400 and a 2018 Ridgeline 

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    edited July 2019
    A thought on the solar charging issues.   On my nucamp installed solar controler the max charge current is limited to 10 amps in the victron setup menu.   I  haven't taken the time to look at what the factory installed panels will deliver deliver in the field.  

with a fully depleted battery that could mean 5 to 10 hours, depends on what your dealer installed, of 100 percent efficient charge to bring it back up to full charge with zero other use.   It would probably be more in the neighborhood of 15 hours with the way absorption works.   

So the reality is if you really want to be off grid, they are going to need a little help if you fully discharge them.   Either a generator or additional panels and additional solar charger
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods