Options

New to Alde

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    While that may be possible, it does not appear that the Alde is heating at all.  If it is, they should be able to lift up the bench and feel the warmth coming from that area.  Also, not sure if the mixing valve was installed with their model.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited September 2018
    There's one possibility that comes up now and then, though I haven't seen it come up in a while.... 

Completely unresponsive Alde... bad thermal fuse.

This happened to me, and I got lucky in finding the fault, and repairing it. (Though I can't recommend the repair for the electronics faintofheart, if you can use a multimeter, you could test it, and perhaps stop wondering)

Here's the thread:
    http://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/4197/found-a-fix-for-no-alde-heat-when-all-fuses-are-good/p1

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Oy!  I hope it’s just the fuses, but you are right @ChanW, we haven’t gone there yet.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    edited September 2018
    @shawnevansagency, I'm confused. Didn't you already check the fuses and confirm they were okay? And if not, don't you already have spares in the little bag you commented on earlier?
    In may in fact not be something simple. (see ChanW's post above) Others have reported problems with the Alde's circuit board requiring repair or even replacement of the entire board. Those issue seem rare, but would be the next place to look once you have confirmed that all the truly simple stuff checks out.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    shawnevansagencyshawnevansagency Member Posts: 29
    Thanks for all the help.  I wish one of you lived closer :).

to the last comment (Scott), I do have one fuse attached to the wiring harness.  However, when I was rechecking the fuses, I dropped a fuse and green fuse holder behind the alde into nowhere land.  So I needed a green holder as well.   It should arrive by this weekend.  
  • Options
    I don’t know how to use a voltmeter 
  • Options
    took a while for me to log back on but I found the culprit....  It was a fuse! When I replaced both the fuses it worked!   It's still in the 90's here so I haven't tried the heater.   Thanks for all the help!
  • Options
    Good to know.  Was it the fuses in the top of the Alde?  It can be difficult to see if they are blown.  
  • Options
    yes it was.  I replaced both and I after reconnecting the shore power, I heard it click on for the first time.   I've got the water turned all the way up on the hot dial.  It was warm (at best) even after a long wait time.  Is this typical?  I wasn't sure what to expect.   
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Now you get to explore the mixing valve.  Plenty of info in this thread, including pictures and descriptions. 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    mrkluebermrklueber Member Posts: 8
    What is the correct method for powering down the Alde unit so the fuse doesn't blow when the power to the camper is reconnected?
    2019 T@B 320 CS-S Boondock Lite, tv 2015 Chrysler T&C
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @mrklueber in two seasons I’ve never ( knock on wood!) blown any fuses. I am meticulous about shutting everything inside off, closing and latching the fantastic fan hatch, lock the shower door, fridge off, all windows latched shut, then turning off the battery knob, THEN shutting off power at the pole. When I set up I reverse the process. Maybe some is luck, but I try not to tempt fate!  :)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    If you have the digital display, just use the button on the left to turn off the Alde.  You know it is off if you tap the screen and it dies not light up.  If you have the manual sliders, just slide them all to the bottom.  
  • Options
    thanks. I do turn off everything but the fridge before disconnecting the shore power.  I turn off the Alde using the button on the left bottom.  Display is blank.  However, I have blown three fuses on this trip.  This is very disheartening.  
  • Options
    Are you using a surge protector?
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    @mrklueber , when do the fuses blow? For example, when turning on or while it has been running?

I try to turn off the Alde by first turning off the electric and gas options, then the power button on the bottom left. (I also turn off the refrig.), turn off the battery, then unplug from electric.

When I plug in, I first flip the breaker on at the post and wait a minute or so. Then plug in my EMS-PT30X and let it run through its diagnostics. Once it's good, then I plug in the cord and to the T@B. Then I'll turn on the battery, then turn on the refrig, then the Alde panel. If I need hot water or heat right away, then I turn on the electric to 1.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    no I don't have a surge protector. What is a PT30X?
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    edited October 2018
    Progressive Industries surge protector and circuit analyser.  Not cheap but cheaper than replacing appliances or getting shocked by a hot skin.  There are other, cheaper, devices available as well but maybe not as comprehensive.
    ems-pt30x
  • Options
    @mrklueber, the Alde is sensitive to power shifts and that is probably why you are blowing fuses.  A basic surge protector is a necessity to help protect you and your TaB electronics and should be used all the time - even when plugged in at home.  Do a Google search on RV Electrical Safety and you will learn a lot.  

The EMS-PT30X is a more advanced portable protection system made by Progressive Industries, a respected leader in RV electrical safety equipment.  It does a lot more than protect against surges (low voltage, reverse polarity, open ground).
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    I have no idea if it makes any difference, but I always flip the breaker off (even at home) before plugging in or unplugging the power cord. I started doing this because the audible spark that would otherwise occur on contact was making me nervous!
    I'll probably curse myself by saying this, but I've never used a surge protector and have never had to replace an Alde fuse. Not that I'm arguing a surge protector isn't a good idea, I just don't plug in very often and haven't quite gotten around to getting one in the last four years.
    Anecdotally, there does seem to be some variation among different units' proclivity for blowing fuses. Employing these various strategies may not solve the problem, but they do represent best practice and certainly won't hurt anything.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Thanks again for all the suggestions and advice.  I will follow your suggestion to do a Google search on RV electrical safety.  One more questions: where are the AC breakers and DC fuses located for the general electrical system in a 2016 T@B 320S?
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited October 2018
    Oops, gotta clean these glasses. You wanted hot water ONLY. My bad.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    OpenSky said:
    I've seen no mention of the mixing valve ("tempering valve" as I've known them in the past.)  This is the three port continuous rotation valve which connects to the Alde inlet and outlet and to the hot-water side of the T@B plumbing.  This combines hot and cold water to set the outlet water temperature.  I believe this can be set such that the Alde hot outlet is completely isolated, and no hot water will be delivered to the T@B hot water lines.

In the older models, they hadn't put the mixing valve in yet. I know the '15s didn't and some of the early 16's *may* not have had it yet.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    rajamarrajamar Member Posts: 112
    mrklueber said:
    Thanks again for all the suggestions and advice.  I will follow your suggestion to do a Google search on RV electrical safety.  One more questions: where are the AC breakers and DC fuses located for the general electrical system in a 2016 T@B 320S?
    Our 320S has a WFCO electrical panel/DC converter/battery charger on the driver side. The approx. 10" x 12" panel opens by pushing on the top to release the clip closure mechanism. Here's what is behind the door:
    2016 T@B S - TV 2004 Toyota Sienna
  • Options
    @mrklueber, as rajamar directed, look for the brown, plastic rectangle mounted on the front of the driver side bench.  
  • Options
    I have made an appointment with the RV service dept at Haydocy in Columbus to see if there is an electrical fault somewhere.  I will follow the advice to purchase a surge protector to protect the electronics.  Thanks to everyone who contributed.
  • Options
    RonRon Member Posts: 137
    Perhaps it is time for Alde to switch to circuit breakers.  Seems to be a common problem especially for new owmers.  You don't have fuses for your house anymore.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • Options
    Can they add a 12 volt circuit breaker?
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited October 2018
    Here's some blade fuse sized breakers! Cool! Might have to look into this!

On eBay: https://goo.gl/rLkVKD
    (But then again, I've never blown one of these 12v fuses in the Tab...)

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    rajamarrajamar Member Posts: 112
    Slide down on the eBay link ChanW posted above. 12-24 volt circuit breaker that can also be used as a kill switch. 3.2" x 2" x 1.6"
    2016 T@B S - TV 2004 Toyota Sienna