Options

Boondocking Coffee in the 400

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @TerryV6, Thanks for the video....now I'll have that bum, bum,a bum, bum, bum sound in my head all day! :o:|
    @Ratkity, I've had the "chew" experience when I forget a bout the cold water more than once. :o:s I have an outdoor kitchen that goes inside my screen room with a 2 burner Coleman stove. A little trick I've learned is to put a paper towel inside the basket before you put in the grounds. Just put it in (make sure it covers the sides too. Just push it down over the post to make the hole for the percolator stem. Makes clean-up easy as well. :);)
    Those chocolate covered espresso beans are pretty darn tasty too. Liz didn't drink coffee, so I was pretty much on my own with the whole process, but I was usually up WAY before she was, so it was all good. Never could fathom a morning without coffee though. Once the coffee was left on the counter at home, and I'm pretty sure I was a bit grumpy that morning.....ok, really sure. A quick trip to the local convenience store remedied the issue though. Needless to say the coffee was not only never forgotten again, but the container was filled before each camping adventure. Guess I got a bit grumpier than I thought...had to love her tolerance for that one, especially since she didn't even drink the stuff! :heart:  
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    Ratkity said:
    I read somewhere that you aren't a true boondock coffee snob unless you just chew your coffee beans and swallow. :rofl:
    At the very least you ought to be filtering the grounds through your teeth!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    I recommend that you do not do that... Do you know how many boxes of whitening strips I’ve gone through?
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Tea is worse!! :rofl:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    kaylevine1kaylevine1 Member Posts: 165
    also from South Louisiana and we use nothing but Community Coffee-for now i use a coffee press if inside and if a campfire i have a regular old fashioned metal percolater coffee pot over the fire-takes 20 min. but is a good cup of coffee-if my coffee press gets broken i will try a europress-everyone seems to like them and small
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    The Bialetti Moka Express is another classic and simple stovetop option...the grind needs to be quite fine to get the best results but the pot is as simple as you can get. All you do is fill is and bring it to a simmer directly over your burner flame..it does the rest.
  • Options
    tabiphile said:
    The Bialetti Moka Express is another classic and simple stovetop option...the grind needs to be quite fine to get the best results but the pot is as simple as you can get. All you do is fill is and bring it to a simmer directly over your burner flame..it does the rest.
    I couldn't help it, I had to get one. I purchased a way cheaper version while in Argentina. I'm looking forward to using this one. It arrived today and feels solid! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    We love the moka pot, ours is the stainless steel version, but it's more of a chore to clean that the Aeropress is. We'll use it when we have company for more cups per brew.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Tried my new 3-cup Moka pot. I should have gotten the 6-cup! LOL. Good coffee.
  • Options
    Or the 10 cup! (Not sure what size Bialetti 'cups' are, but I gotta say, they ain't 6oz!)
    Ratkity said:

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited November 2018
    It's usually 16.8g for mid-sized lever machine double shots. Extra benefit of using a steam wand in a T@B is it adds back humidity when camping in the desert.

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,657
    @DougH are those your Electras?  Beautiful.....

I'll see the Bialetti's and raise a Vesuviana.  It has been retired for many years, made about 32 oz of coffee if you could get the extraction correct.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    @pthomas745 : Yup, one ancient plumbed restaurant Elektra (serial #1) restored from eBay, and a newer Microcasa a Leva.

• Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Elektra..53 Bialetti 9 cups or 240 Melitta's...that should come standard with the 400 barista option.......
  • Options
    Cool equipment!
    Let's up the ante on this. Anybody roast there own beans? And--to keep the thread on topic--anybody roast their own beans while camping with their T@B?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    DougH said:
    It's usually 16.8g for mid-sized lever machine double shots. Extra benefit of using a steam wand in a T@B is it adds back humidity when camping in the desert.

O.M.Gosh.... *JEALOUS* I've always wanted one. They are a work of art and make great coffee. *happy sigh* I've seen the huge ones too. Beautiful! <3
  • Options
    @DougH are those your Electras?  Beautiful.....

I'll see the Bialetti's and raise a Vesuviana.  It has been retired for many years, made about 32 oz of coffee if you could get the extraction correct.

Ok.. never have seen this one. Can you 'splain dis to an unedumatcated coffee user? Is it like a french press?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    ChanW said:
    Or the 10 cup! (Not sure what size Bialetti 'cups' are, but I gotta say, they ain't 6oz!)
    Ratkity said:

The Bialetti 'cups' are typical espresso shots. Probably 1.5 oz. I think I put 6 oz in the pot and accounting for the tiny bit left in the bottom to prevent burning and the amount to wet the coffee, that would be about right. Don't laugh, but I was so excited to get my Moka pot and ran out to the grocery store for whole beans. There must have been a run on whole beans!!! All I could get was "1850 Folgers" beans. Coffee made is still amazing. I'm using a "HandGround" manual hand crank to grind the beans.

@ScottG - Roast while camping??? Bahahahahahahahahaha. Marshmallows are the only thing I've seen roasted. Unless you accidentally mistyped and meant "toasted". Now THAT's a different story Bahahahhahahahaha!
  • Options
    @ScottG, Yep, roasted my own beans ONCE.....but it came from standin' WAY too close to the campfire! :o:s
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    X-posts @ericnliz!!!! 
  • Options
    @Ratkity, Well......he did ask.... right? :i_dunno:
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Yous two bettah' watch it. Verna's wand may have been quiet for a while, but a nickel says it's still within striking distance!  :-0
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    *blinkblink and looks at @ericnliz* Wha? We's dunno whatcha talkin' 'bout.
  • Options
    whuh whoa!!!

That wand, skillfully directed, with the extra focus that a 'fulltimer' can bring to bear, is something to avoid!

(Y'all are funny!!!)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I just wish sites like:

https://www.home-barista.com/levers/lever-espresso-machine-gallery-t2692-2740.html

...weren't around to tempt our savings account.  Hundreds of pages of new and restored lever machines. 

• Options
    Baked beans, I meant baked beans...boy, oh boy, where are your minds? =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Shhhhh. It appears Verna’s been dealing with some heat settings issues, likely affected her wand’s power source too, so I think you’re all safe.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    @jgram2, Don't 'ya kid yourself ....that wand sneaks up on 'ya when you least expect it! :o:s PLEASE don't ask me how I know that! =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Ya know what’s really funny?  I just glanced at the post late, very late last night and I didn’t “ get it”........  

And I thought my life would slow down a bit when full timing!

You’re safe on this one @ericnliz.....  did you feel the whish go by your fingers?  ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”