Boondocking Coffee in the 400

Comments

• tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 423
    TerryV6 said:
    If you don’t mind boiling the water, this works fine...  And this one is $9.88

It doesn't get simpler or better than this. If you can boil water and if you have good freshly ground beans (that's the key) you can make great coffee quickly with this and the cleanup is dirt simple...unlike with a press. No one ever mentions the mess that a press makes or how much water it takes to clean it. We allow our Melitta to drip directly into a carafe or a thermos. No milk, cream, sweeteners, sugar...we like coffee.
  • SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    edited October 2018
    We're with @TerryV6.  Have the teapot for boiling water is multipurpose and the cleanup is extremely easy.  An electric drip coffeemaker without the electric part. We keep at at home during the hurricane season for that post storm power outage.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Lets be clear on the "press".  The French press is a pain in the strainer to clean.

The Aeropress is very easy to clean, (just shove the puck of grounds out of the bottom) and you can immediately start a new cup of coffee if the beans are ground. 

Once I discovered how easy the Aeropress was to clean, and learned how to make some decent coffee with it, my French press and Moka pot went back on the shelf at home.  They were just not easy enough to clean.

It is nice to see how many easy and good ways there are to make camp coffee these days. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yes, @pthomas745, that's what happened with us too. I'll dig out the moka-pot for company, cuz the coffee from that is almost as tasty as the Aeropress, and the moka pot makes twice as much.

But now we've been spoiled, and haven't been able to get any other brew method to taste as good as the Aeropress! Too bad, cuz it definitely uses more coffee to make a cup.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Ah, I love coffee discussions..  Over the years, we’ve purchased many coffee makers, from presses, drip makers and perculators.  Remember those?  Mrs. Olson?  
      Always looking for that perfect cup.  We’ve ground our own, gone to specialty shops etc.  Never liked instant, but we do bring some on our trips.  Currently using a Keriug machine on occasion.  Besides our Melitta, we also bring along the little Myjo.  Doesn’t work too badly..

Btw, Putting coffee in a thermos changes the flavor somewhat...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

edited October 2018
    Mrs. Olson!  I also remember the first time I brought out my Moka pot on a campout with friends, and the scoffing about being a coffee snob, etc etc while they boiled coffee to a pulp in a percolator.  Years later, there are as many coffee methods in the mornings as there are campers!

2017 Outback
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited October 2018
    I was introduced to the Moka pot while in Argentina (work-related). I stayed at a farm and they had no electric unless they ran the humongous generator. Of course, the wife was a Moka pot guru. It was the BEST coffee I've ever had. She would bring coffee, cream (real cream), dulce de leche and toast for my breakfast. Wow. I've never been able to replicate the coffee she made in my little Moka pot. I think it's because I haven't been using the right grind and my pot is cheap aluminum. 

I liked my sister's French Press as long as I got the first cup and she cleaned it. I hate crunchy coffee lol.

I've heard of the Aeropress!

I read a review about the old percolators. One guy sat and watched one to make the coffee just right and it took forever for it to be ready. I was ready for him to say it was awful coffee, but no! He and his wife said it was a treat! He just didn't have the time to watch the old thing heat up and perc properly and for the correct amount of time (have to watch the heat).

I confess. I'm using K-cups because I cut my coffee consumption. When I boondock, I use SB packets. They are passable. Most things taste better when camping anyhow! :)

I LOVE coffee discussions!!!! It's been too long since we had one. More, more, more! I want to know people's favorite brand, best way to make it, what is the grind... all the gory details!

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    Well, talking Kcups...  No flavors mind you, you will find lots of differences between the brands.  If you buy the stuff at menards, it will be cheap but not so tasty imho. We try to keep the price down to about 35 - 40 cents a cup. We’ve  been buying at Costco.  

Brewing.... If I make a full pot of regular coffee, the first cup tastes great and the rest of the pot degrades for me.  If I start to brew the 12 cups of coffee, I like to take what we call the “caramel”, which is the first cup dripped out, before totally done.  Very strong and thick.  Great.  
    Anyway, when we use a 12 cup, one cup is good...  then down from there.. Finally cold or cooked, take your pick.
      So... when you use a Kcup,  you get an okay cup of coffee...then the next one brewed is just as good...  As I drink coffee throughout the day, it is a good compromise... Also you don’t throw out a half of a pot...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    I’ve got the Melita cone that sits on my mug, add paper filter and good coffee grounds, hot water and I’m all set! I could buy a lifetime supply of this set up for $60. I do like the Coleman idea though! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I use to carry a french press backpacking, and made coffee and espresso at home with fresh ground non-Starbucks (i.e. better) coffee beans.

When the Starbucks Via instant paks came out, that became our go to coffee for climbing/backpacking/ski touring overnights.  Then when the coffee maker broke, I started using it for the commute.  With an instant hot water tank, it doesn't get more convienient.   Now it's pretty much all we use unless we have company.  We wait for it to be a coupon item at Costco and stock up.

Yeah, it's expensive when you look at it by the serving, but I never throw out a serving. Can't say that when I make a pot and drink half.  If you add creamer, even the Via's are like making a mixed drink with Beefeater.

But I get everyone's opinion,  I'm a  beer snob. :)

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

I was impressed with the Via when I tried it.  Perfect for traveling light.  And as far as percolators go, I'm sure that the coffee blogs have applied "science" to them and they can make much better coffee compared to the "olden days."

At home, since 2006 I have a full on Rancilio Silvia machine and Rocky grinder.  Took a while to learn, but I can crank out shots all day, since I've sorted all the variables.  I always look for local coffee, and coffee with a "born on date" for coffee at  home on the machine. I'm a little more flexible on the "born on date" when I'm on the road with the Aeropress.  I will grind up some beans for the first few days on the road from my Rocky, using the same grind as the espresso I make.  I have a Javapresse manual grinder for the Tab, and try to keep the grind as small as possible.  18 grams of coffee in the Aeropress, water just below boiling, pour it almost to the top of the Aeropress, stir a couple of times, invert over the cup.  Wait about three minutes, hit the plunger.  Rinse and repeat.  I usually add a bit of water for the 15 oz mugs I use.

The Aeropress does a really nice job, you wind up with coffee that has a little "mouth feel", which I like most about espresso compared to the "coffee flavored water" from the old days.  The Moka pot was close to it, but not consistently, there were just too many variables.  Same as with the French press.  

I use my portable drill to grind the beans with my Javapresse.  About 5 minutes to make enough coffee for a couple of days.
    2017 Outback
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Holy Moly!!! :o  I've still got old "blue", my percolator from the late 1970's. When I get done perking it, I always take the grounds out. A little Irish Cream, & it's always a good day! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

So, what does that percolator look like?
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

When I get up in the morning and start to make a fresh cup, if I see my cup from the night before sitting half full, I will drink that while waiting.  People will say, ew, you drink cold coffee?  Well, now its actually a “thing”.

Via - that is my instant of choice.

How many cups do people consume in a day?  For me, I try to cut it off at 10-12 cups.  And never any coffee after 10pm. 
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

@pthomas745, 18grams for 3 minutes, eh?

I'll have to try that. I've been going with 28 grams for 30-40secs to get an exceptional cup. Maybe I could get more cups out of that bag!

I tend to stick with what works, but if I could avoid spending all my retirement on coffee...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @TerryV6, It's the old blue & white speckled pot without a glass top. I just wait until I see it bubblin' in the spout, turn it down to low for a minute, take the top off, pour a little cold water in to sink the grounds, pour some in my cup, add the Irish Cream & enjoy! Been makin' it that way for...ok, a long time! =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

edited October 2018
    I have an old stainless steel percolator that you can still buy from REI or other outlet. I haven't perfected it's use. I mostly use it for heating up water for instant. I have this weirdo attachment to it. It's not like it was made with precious metals and semi-precious stones (a bedazzled pot! LOL). It's the one with the high-heat resistant handle - 3 cup. 

https://www.amazon.com/GSI-Glacier-Stainless-Coffee-Perk/dp/B001LF3I20?crid=12HUION5S02OJ&keywords=stainless+steel+coffee+percolator&qid=1540651635&sprefix=stainless+steel+coffee+perco,aps,140&sr=8-19&ref=sr_1_19&th=1

My sister and her hubby started to NOT use anything plastic exposed to heat or cold, including the coffee pots (which they go thru at an alarming rate). They now have an electric percolator. Sis has a trick that I'm going to steal. She puts a small filter in it with a tiny hole in the center and then puts the coffee in. She sets it up before bed and whoever gets up first plugs it in. It works fairly fast and rarely do you get crunchy coffee (a big minus for many electric percs).

When camping, if I'm on shore power, it's the cheapo K-cup machine. The one without a reservoir. As a microbiologist, I hate the fact that some of those machines keep water in a small non-cleanable area (other than running chemicals through it). Sometimes, things just need a good scrubbing.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    edited October 2018
    @ChanW My 18 grams are about 3 tablespoons or so. I don't carry a scale in the Tab, like at home, but 3 tablespoons is close.  I also use a fairly fine grind, so the coffee absorbs quite a bit of water while I press it out.  I might get a 3 oz "shot" from the Aeropress, (I can hear the water hissing at the bottom of the press through the compressed coffee) which is why I make another shot and add extra hot water until I have a good solid cup, 12-15 ounces or so.  Your results with more coffee could be because of a  coarser ground, etc.  If it ain't broke.......but it is easy to experiment. 

Here is a whole coffee nerd thread from baristas who have thought long and hard about their coffee recipes. My grind of coffee is somewhere in the lower ranges of the pictures of the ground coffee, easily below 4.  I use the inverted method that is shown in the video.  Except for the grind size and the time of "steeping", I'm not as OCD as some of these recipes, but they are fun to use as a good guide.

Back in my Navy days I could drink coffee all day (and did) since when we were at sea we were simply 'on duty" and an 18 hour day was not unusual.  We used those giant 30 cup coffee makers, which basically made caffeine flavored Kool-Aid.  These days, though, I'm down to a 4 espresso shot 15 ounce Americano in the morning for my coffee fix. 

2017 Outback
    I love that "hand ground" grinder in the link!
  • kaylevine1kaylevine1 Member Posts: 165
    i have an old camp percolater also and sometimes if i'm up early and it's not raining i get it out and make old fashioned camp coffee over the fire-have to be patient though-takes about 20 min

Ah Eric... The old perc noise....

https://youtu.be/T5_0iG7YP5Y
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    We drink several pots a day at home.  Camping we use a cheap, plastic pour over that fits perfectly into the opening of our old, glass-lined thermos.  Keeps it hot.  I set everything up the night before so I only need light the stove in the AM.  We don’t grind our own beans, though.  We used to have coffee shipped from Zabar’s in New York, now we use the Wholefood 365 brand coffee.  It is pretty good, offers a variety of roasts and is an excellent price.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2018
    Wow! That Maxwell House is darker and thicker than any coffee I've seen! (And I make really dark coffee!) You don't suppose they put ink in that pot, do you?  :o
    TerryV6 said:
    Ah Eric... The old perc noise....

https://youtu.be/T5_0iG7YP5Y

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    @pthomas745, yeah I think I've just gradually increased the strength of my coffee over the years, until it's like mud. I grind it fine too.

I did try your 18g recipe today, and my DW didn't notice the difference (though I found it just a bit less 'rich').

I thank you for introducing me to restraint here. I may just be able to do this!  =)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    We've always been Melitta drip users, either manual or Krups-type electric machine when at home, but have a Moka pot and French press as well.

However, the only pot we use when camping is my grandmother's porcelain percolator.  If you can find them, there are filters made for the coffee basket that are little squares with a perforated hole in the center and four corners.  You put the center hole over the stem, fill with coffee and close it up by sipping each corner hole over the center stem - keeps the grounds contained and makes cleanup easy.  

I remember reading that percolators violate the two basic rules of coffee making: coffee shouldn't be boiled or passed through its own grounds.  But I find that you bring the water to a boil, lower the heat and perc for 8-10 minutes and the coffee's fine.
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • PJ123PJ123 Member Posts: 41
      Hi Y'all!!  Down in southern Louisiana if coffee doesn't have chicory it just ain't coffee.  My Dad would use a porcelain spouted pot that was referred to as a "big un".  This was to differentiate it from the "little un"(a smaller size exact copy).  No kidding, they were advertised in stores that way.
      Anyhow, Pops would work around the house with a pot of boiling water with a two tablespoon scoop sitting in it with the big un along side.  Every ten to fifteen minutes or so he would pass the stove to pour one scoop over the grounds.  Yep, this method took Forever...but the chicory coffee he mixed with HOT (it HAS to be hot) cream was the best cafe au lait I have ever tasted.  Side note,, one demi tasse cup could clean... you... out.
      Alas not so doable on a camping trip but DW has a knack for brewing up a great cuppa Joe anyway..and not a big un to be seen.
      See you guys around the campfire...We'll do coffee.     Pete
    Pete & Jeanne 2019 T@B red and grey 400 Boondock Lite..TV 2015 Nissan Frontier, Southern Louisiana
    I read somewhere that you aren't a true boondock coffee snob unless you just chew your coffee beans and swallow. :rofl: I thought that was hysterical growing up until I saw chocolate-covered espresso beans!!! Never underestimate coffee connoisseur to come up with those (they are good btw).   :lol:
    @Ratkity freshly roasted , still warm coffee beans taste pretty nice, with a slight coffee taste and nice crunch. 
    2017 Outback