Stove burners won`t light

deputydogdeputydog Member Posts: 103
     Trying to light burner ONLY small amount of propane is released even set to high.      Burners light with flames barely visible.  Stop immediately when lighter is removed.  

TV is a 2007 Jeep Liberty. Own 2015 T@B Maxx s/wet-bath white green. St. Clair Shores, MI.

Comments

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    Have you tried turning the propane tank off, wait a bit then very slowly turn it back on? I have noticed that when lighting the burner I have to hold the button in a bit longer than I would on my Coleman stove, and I have to keep the lighter at the burner until I see the flames (which are very hard to see!) go all the way around the ring, or else it goes out. Hope this helps!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    Disconnect and reconnrct your propane hose to the tank.  There's a funky leak control in the tank valve that is reset when you reconnect the hose.
    BigGrover
    2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
    2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
    Central Alabama
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    When the valve in the tank pigtail "senses" a rapid pressure change (sometimes turning it on), and then it'll shut the propane flow off. Those pesky valves stick sometimes.

A friend had a similar issue and we couldn't get the propane to flow no matter if I used my spare tank or not. UGH!

So he drove it to the dealer (he had electric to use during the weekend). By the time he went over bumpy roads and drove 40+ minutes to arrive at the dealer, the valve released and the dealer said all was well. GRRRR for him. Poor guy.

There were SO many other issues , he sold it as soon as he could. Not because of the pigtail issue (common thing), but because the number of issues that were happening were not acceptable. This was not a NuCamp or Little Guy pdt. Just a big land yacht 30 ft pull behind. 

In the years I've had Little Guy and T@B pdts, the issues have been so minor after listening to him and the list of campers he's been through. He'll buy one that seems ok, then once on the road, multiple things happen. I think he'd been through 5 when I had T@bitha. They still have a custom Little Guy teardrop they love. The bed in there is so good that when he has back troubles, he goes to sleep in there (heated and cooled garage).

As far as the pigtail issue, the only thing is the turn off- slowly turn on method. If anyone knows another method (mallet? hehe), I'd love to know. This issue happens on ALL campers as it is a mandatory safety feature in the pigtails. As an aside, there could be a bad regulator (the white thing where the hoses attach). If the slow on and off in cooler weather and less cooler weather doesn't work, time for the dealer to replace it all. Much luck!!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • tabienolatabienola Member Posts: 19
    2007 lighting stove is only an issue when we are not plugged in. Any chance its an electric check valve in the stove? Off to upstate NH in sept. really need coffee in AM! oh sure I keep a few cans on hand and can light a campfire, start my car and boil water! But I would like to light my stove...an advice
  • LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    tabienola said:
    2007 lighting stove is only an issue when we are not plugged in. Any chance its an electric check valve in the stove? Off to upstate NH in sept. really need coffee in AM! oh sure I keep a few cans on hand and can light a campfire, start my car and boil water! But I would like to light my stove...an advice
    You do need power to light the stove.  The metal look-a-like pin behind the stove burner need to heat up and will confirm to the safety cut off vavle to keep the propane coming.  So 12V power is needed.  This feature will be able to close the gas if that pin gets cold from blown burner and avoid propane accumulation in the trailer.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    What brand stove is in your 2007?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    Luckyj said:
    You do need power to light the stove.  The metal look-a-like pin behind the stove burner need to heat up and will confirm to the safety cut off vavle to keep the propane coming.  So 12V power is needed.  This feature will be able to close the gas if that pin gets cold from blown burner and avoid propane accumulation in the trailer.
      Not correct!!
    NO POWER IS NEEDED TO USE THE COOKTOP
    The thermocouple safety valve is self contained and does not require external power.  There are no power connections to the stovetop.

Well thanks, maybe you are both right. Could it be the 2007 stove pin is the issue? And I have looked for wiring to the stove. If the Rv shop that is doing a CS gasket replacement rules out a gasoline issue, I'll talk to the stove people. Thanks again for comments!!! oh stove is pre 2007. My confusion over age- was ordered in 2006 on the road in 2007. 
    Other things solved on 2007 CS- new tires, remounted spare, replaced Jenson antenea at pepboys, replaced the original tongue jack side mount (not satisfied, but it works).
    Oh, took out dead battery 46,000 miles ago. Off to East Coast in Sept.
    it's 100 in New Orleans and river has been at flood stage for 6 months. 
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    edited July 2019

The DM CS had a switch on the hatch (upper left corner) that controlled a "safety valve" to prevent gas flow to the stove when the hatch was closed.  That system does require 12v and draws ~1 amp constantly when the hatch is open.  These switches have been known to malfunction.  Sometime just a sticky plunger on the switch, otherwise corrosion or loose wires.  The solenoid valve is underneath behind the axle toward the left side.

Many folks installed an additional switch to turn off the valve to save energy if the stove wasn't being used but the hatch was open.

Happy to report that replacing regulator and having the clamshell single cover got us from New Orleans to New Brunswick Canada and back. It was a wonderful 5 weeks.
    Sad to say health issues continue as a challenge and we are going to let our little t@b cs find find new traveling buddies.