Options

Are Mice an Issue?

2»

Comments

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited November 2019
    @atlasb, I wrote to Creed Hostetler (nuCamp Tech Support) and asked him about covering the large oval holes on the frame.  He did not specifically respond to my question regarding whether there needs to be airflow through those openings, but here is his response.

"The purpose of the holes is to create more structural flex and essentially strength – to resist cracking.  It is not essential per our recommendation to cover them, but many customers like to do so to protect from varmints. They usually use a mesh/steel mesh type of add on so there is still airflow, but no access for pests."

In the event anyone is unclear which oval openings on the frame are referred to in this discussion, here is a photo (driver's side of T@B 320S):

I recently covered mine with some thin plastic ("Plaskolite") that I purchased at Home Depot.  Attached the covers with strong Scotch double-sided tape, likely very similar to the installation described by @DenisP.  (See photo below.)  I made a small vertical cutout (slot) in the plastic for the brake wires to pass through.  I covered the cut plastic with 1/8" rubber automotive trim to prevent damage to the wires.  Although Creed did not specify whether air circulation is actually necessary, I may go ahead and remove the plastic covers and replace them with 1/4" hardware cloth as suggested above by @ScottG.  Air flow is probably unnecessary, especially since that apparently is not the purpose of those openings, but a screened opening will be just as effective as a solid cover (at least for keeping mice and pack rats out........I would need a smaller mesh to keep wasps out.)

I DO feel that these openings need to be covered in some fashion.  Even though it may not appear that the openings provide access for mice, pack rats (plentiful in the desert), etc., in to the camper living area, I suspect there are small openings in the floor area around drain pipes and/or areas where electrical connections have been routed.  Some of those openings likely lead to areas inside the camper cabin.

Other openings in the frame have been alluded to above, but like the large oval openings on the side of the frame, there are small openings at the rear of the 320 frame as well.  (See photo below......red arrows identify those openings.)  I filled those with steel wool.  Like others, I have also stuffed steel wool in small openings I found around the trim or plastic underbelly.  

SHORT WAR STORY ON THIS TOPIC:  My wife and I picked up 3 mice in our 5th wheel two years ago during the last (rainy) night of a camping trip in Oregon.  That had never happened in all the years we had been RVing prior to that.  The little intruders ate through some chip bags and had torn apart some kleenex (getting ready for a long winter's nap, no doubt.)  Fortunately, we immediately discovered the "break-in" and set up traps, catching all three mice in short order during the drive home.  Used peanut butter.  Worked great!  Lesson learned...........cover those holes!!

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    I appreciate the follow up information from Creed. Thank you @Bayliss.  Your covers are almost identical to my rear covers on the 400. I made covers for the front holes under the step from perforated stainless steel I recycled. They provide some ventilation (if needed?) and protection from intrusion.
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Thank you for your photos as well, @DenisP.  I did not realize that the 400 has two sets of the oval openings in the frame.  You can see all the way through the two front openings and it looks like there is a fairly significant section of unused space in that area.  Too bad nüCamp did not consider putting some sort of compartment in that space, possibly with a trap door opening in the cabin floor (if they could make it work and still look OK, that is.)  You did a very nice job with the stainless steel cover.  I actually considered doing it the same way for the rear oval openings, but once I saw that I would not be able to use a drill to install self-tapping screws, I opted to go with the plastic cover and tape.  However, looking back on it now, I think I could have used the same double-sided tape on a metal screen.  I like your use of perforated stainless steel, because it will also keep out wasps, etc.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    OliveTwigOliveTwig Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2020
    I assume the holes are there to facilitate access to something. There are  many shapes and sizes of products from “Capplugs” which could be used their. I started to cut some oversized ovals out of wood and rout the back side to the exact opening, but my wife stopped me. So we settled on a pice of 1/6” x 4 1/8” x 9 1”8” aluminum Held in place  by ZIPTAPE. If you never used ZIPTAPE it a flashing product used today in construction, very sticky and hard to remove but not impossible. Also used some metal caps from Ace hardware for 3  1 1/8” holes in rear. Small gaps filled with Great Stuff “Pestblock”
    I would not be surprised if mice still can find their way in somewhere unseen. 

• Options
    DanManzDanManz Member Posts: 80
    We used a similar approach to @Bayliss.  We had a clear infestation in our 2019 T@b 400.  It is astonishing the number of little holes and cracks mice can get into down there!  Outside I sealed everything up with plastic gutter guard, some bug screen and marine sealant.  Inside, I used the Greatstuff Pestblock to fill all the holes and cracks behind the drawers.  We have the 3-way fridge instead of the closet in our 400 and the mice seemed to be particularly comfortable moving around down near our water pump.  So far this summer, the fix has been flawless.  We live way out in the woods in an older house and I have been less successful keeping mice out of our foundation based dwelling.  We shall see what the fall brings......  I think we won this battle but I'm not sure the war is over.
    Dan and Liz    2019 TAB 400 BDL    2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD TRD Sport
  • Options
    SierraSierra Member Posts: 42
    We also have had mice issues with our 2019 400 boondock. Does anyone feel that just covering the outside holes has been enough to keep the furry midnight intruders at bay? Is it really necessary to also cover internal passageways?
    I'm a little hesitant about drilling into the frame but I do like the perforated steel. Any issues? 
    2019 TAB 400 Boondock Lite 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Sierra, I never got around to it, but I intended to tape screening on the 4 frame holes of my 2019 400. I also wanted to tape copper mesh around the large hole where the pipes come through the floor under the head of the bed, and check under the closet, also.  

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    Funny, but perhaps useful info here:  https://mandyleaphoto.com/2020/06/11/rodent-proof-your-rv/
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    OlyCampersOlyCampers Member Posts: 22
    On a recent trip, we found evidence that "somebody" had been working to eat some chips/bread we had stored in the main under counter cabinet. There appears to be a gap between the tire inset and the cabinet "floor." Has anyone had issues w/ critters in that cabinet, and is there any reason to suspect that gap presents an issue that should be addressed? Thanks.
    2020 T@B 400 Boondock Lite behind our 2014 GMC Sierra. Homeport is Olympia WA USA.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Mice can, and have gotten into the older TaB trailers.  The. 2018-2020 year model TaB400s have a big hole in the floor under the closet (or three-way fridge option) where the water tank connections are.  This hole opens to the top of the water tank, which is about 1.2 to 2-inches below the trailer floor, so mice can go on top the tank and into the trailer, as can dust if going on dirt roads.  Here is what the hole looks like:

The red arrow points to the hole area where critters can can access.  Once in, they can run along the wire/plumbing runs under and behind the cabinets.   :o
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    OlyCampersOlyCampers Member Posts: 22
    We've owned our T@B 400 BDL since Feb. 2020. Never had a critter issue til our last trip. Found some evidence that "somebody" wanted our bagels which were in the under cabinet counter. So we put food in plastic totes and continued on. When I got home and started my post-trip deep clean, I discovered a small amount of mice feces in a coupla different spots. Set some traps and killed 3 over the course of two nights, I've continued to check the traps and nothing since the first 3. Also, no more poop.
    Leaves me wondering whether they got in thru one of the holes that folks mention above, or somehow snuck into our trailer on our trip sometime when the door was open. I'll remain vigilant, and hope that this was a "one-time" problem.
    Interested in other folks' experience w/ critters. Thanks!

2020 T@B 400 Boondock Lite behind our 2014 GMC Sierra. Homeport is Olympia WA USA.
  • Options
    CJaxCJax Member Posts: 62
    We are hoping to pick up our 400 BD next month and are preparing now. I've watched the Mandy Lea video and read several posts about this issue. I have some fabrication ideas I'd like to get started on now, and I was hoping someone would be kind enough to post the exact dimensions of the oval frame openings and the thickness of the metal at those locations. I'm thinking of fabricating a clip retention system to avoid drilling into the frame or using tape. I'll post pics if my ideas work out.

Cheers,
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock 'Valhalla'
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk V6
    veni, vidi, bibi capulus
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    On my new 2021 T@B 320, it looks as though nüCamp has listened to the rodent complaints. Each hole through the floor has a firm plastic flange with a top on it so it doesn’t easily slide. I have found no oversized holes through the floors. It’s nice that nüCamp changes with discoveries. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    CJaxCJax Member Posts: 62
    That's awesome @Verna... If our 2021 400 shows up that way, that means I have much less spray foam to need to apply... but I'd still like to fab mesh covers for those large oval frame holes... even if the critters can't find their way into the cabin, I'd still like to discourage nesting in the frame.

Cheers,
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock 'Valhalla'
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk V6
    veni, vidi, bibi capulus
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    While spray foam offers a quick solution to plug holes, in a RV like the TaBs motion from pulling the trailer will break down the foam and allow it to fall back out.  Plastic or metal flange covers are a better solution for mice, and drafts.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.