Options

Westinghouse 2200w generator

On December 15th Sam's Club is going to have a one day sale. A Westinghouse 2200w inverter generator is one of the items being offered. At 349.00 it sounds like a great deal. The on-line reviews seem positive for the most part. Does anyone in the community have experience with this model?
Gerri (Gary) Ewing
Montgomery TX (Birthplace of the Texas Flag)
2018 320 S - "No Agenda Hacienda"
Tow Vehicle 2023 Honda Pilot AWD

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Usually the lower priced, higher wattage generators are heavy and LOUD. I have no experience with this generator, but have not heard any bad things about Westinghouse. I think they are trying to get into the RV/camper market with lower decibel smaller generators.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726

Westinghouse makes a good product.  Here's my review of their 2400w generator.  Runs and works great.

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    BogieMeisterBogieMeister Member Posts: 114
    Update - After wrapping on the 23rd then unwrapping on the Christmas, I finally have my new generator. It is the Westinghouse WH2200iXLT. After adding Oil and Gas it started on the first pull. It is amazingly quiet. The true test was connecting it to the T@B. Without a hiccup it powered the Fridge, the Alde, a microwave and then started and ran the AC unit. All at the same time. For the price, I could not be more pleased with this unit.  What's more the blue color matches the trim on my T@B. Life is Good.
    Gerri (Gary) Ewing
    Montgomery TX (Birthplace of the Texas Flag)
    2018 320 S - "No Agenda Hacienda"
    Tow Vehicle 2023 Honda Pilot AWD

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    320 or 400? Lots of difference in AC power requirements...
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    ObiruObiru Member Posts: 25
    Solar is the way to go. No noise. 
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @N7SHG_Ham looks like his signature says 320 s
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    @BogieMeister, congrats!!! I've heard good things about this one. Yamaha and Honda need to have some good competition. BTW, I have a Honda 2000i. I love the quietness of these generators. Great present!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    We have a Westinghouse 2200iXLT and it works well, quiet, starts easily, etc.  It replaced a stolen Honda 1000 which was also fine.  Yes, half the price of Honda stuff...
    One complaint...to charge a 12V battery directly it requires a cigarette lighter type generator-end plug to plug into the 2200iXLT, and at the other end you will have either pos and neg clamps or a Zamp type connector. 
    The Honda as I recall came with a more efficient "feeling" generator-end plug like the Zamp type.   
    But I agree with Obiru...solar is better...except at night, in the trees, or with cloud cover. 
    Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

• Options
    Vikings said:
    We have a Westinghouse 2200iXLT and it works well, quiet, starts easily, etc.  It replaced a stolen Honda 1000 which was also fine.  Yes, half the price of Honda stuff...
    One complaint...to charge a 12V battery directly it requires a cigarette lighter type generator-end plug to plug into the 2200iXLT, and at the other end you will have either pos and neg clamps or a Zamp type connector. 
    The Honda as I recall came with a more efficient "feeling" generator-end plug like the Zamp type.   
    But I agree with Obiru...solar is better...except at night, in the trees, or with cloud cover. 
    Sorry your little Honda was stolen. Why do those people get to live? Sorry, I'm a little sensitive these days. 

A generator is a very inefficient way to charge a battery (how long it takes vs gas used). The brand Battery Tender has a great small battery charger you just use the 110v plug in and has all sorts of pigtails and/or clamps to use for a battery.

I've heard complaints about the charger incorporated into the regular Honda 2000i. I have the Companion 2000i because I wanted the 30A plug (it's still 20A, not 30A). Then I found out that I STILL have to have an adaptor from the camper to the generator 30A plug. Ugh. Oh well. 
  • Options
    VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    Ratkity...you are suggesting an external battery charger (I have a couple), running off the WH 110 circuit, is more efficient than the WH internal 12V charger.   I had not considered this and will try it next time I am out w/ no sun, etc.  Thanks for tip.
    Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

• Options
    Vikings said:
    Ratkity...you are suggesting an external battery charger (I have a couple), running off the WH 110 circuit, is more efficient than the WH internal 12V charger.   I had not considered this and will try it next time I am out w/ no sun, etc.  Thanks for tip.
    In a nutshell, it's my opinion that an external has more options to connect to a battery, has settings for lead-acid or AGM batteries and may be more efficient than the standard converter in the camper or the standard charger that comes with the generator. I may be wrong about efficiency and they may ultimately be the same... but an external will have connectors that you crave!
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Obiru said:
    Solar is the way to go. No noise. 
    I love solar, but you will need a generator to bail you out in hot, humid weather. :)

I can charge my T@b using an external battery charger and my GZ Yeti 1000. It is a really nice option when solar is not an option  and you are dry camping. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 221
    On December 15th Sam's Club is going to have a one day sale. A Westinghouse 2200w inverter generator is one of the items being offered. At 349.00 it sounds like a great deal. The on-line reviews seem positive for the most part. Does anyone in the community have experience with this model?
    I have this unit and it works great. this is a heck of a price at costco. Also dont forget to make a grounding plug. You will need it to be able to run the Tab off the generator.
  • Options
    Tabnero said:
    I have this unit and it works great. this is a heck of a price at costco. Also dont forget to make a grounding plug. You will need it to be able to run the Tab off the generator.
    It's called a "loopback plug". You can purchase one from Progressive Industries or make one. It's easy. You'll only need it if you have a permanently installed surge protector or you use your dog-bone one. It all has to do with floating grounds and beyond my expertise, but loopback plugs aren't hard to find or make.
  • Options
    TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 221
    progressive does not make them any more
  • Options
    Tabnero said:
    progressive does not make them any more
    I didn't know they stopped. Maybe because it's too easy to make one.
  • Options
    davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    I am puzzled as to why this 'neutral grounding plug' is called a 'loopback plug.' That terminology reminds me of plugs for transmission lines that connect transmit and receive lines at a cable terminus to test transmit/receive function.