Options

Tonie's RV Experience?

Hi
I'm close to buying a T@b 400 and my local dealer is not where I want to spend my money.  Has anybody dealt with Tonie's RV in Salem, VA?

I live in Asheville, NC  if you have other recommendations.

Thanks for all your help in my decision to become a Tabber.

Jeff
2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
Jeff & Amy
Now in Manistee, MI

Comments

• Options
    spkbeamspkbeam Member Posts: 15
    How about Bumgarner's in Lenoir NC. They treated us fair and I know a few others on this forum have used them with no problems. We dealt with the owner he was very laid back, no pressure.
  • Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    Thanks
    My experience was that they acted like ordering a unit was a big deal, the battery was stone dead on the one they had last year but they would just charge it, and didn't we really want the Little Guy?
     :-(

Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    JeffroNC said:
    Thanks
    My experience was that they acted like ordering a unit was a big deal, the battery was stone dead on the one they had last year but they would just charge it, and didn't we really want the Little Guy?
     :-(

Can we get this feedback to Scott @Verna @Shar@Sharon_is_SAM? I know they are focusing on relationships with their dealer network. It is pretty annoying that they were shoving the Little Guy when you were interested in the 400.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    @Jeffronc, @verna,@Sharon_is_sam, Southland RV in Atlanta is a knowledgeable T@b dealer.  That's who Nucamp directed me to because they sell and service quite a few T@bs. My interaction with them was very positive, much better than the dealership that ordered my unit.Just
    BigGrover
    2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
    2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @JeffroNC the biggest problem I hear about buying from an out of area dealer is that the local dealers give priority repair scheduling to “their” customers, not “outsiders.” Not saying you should go with your local, just letting you know what can occur. And not all dealers are bad. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    edited February 2019
    I think we need a new discussion thread dedicated to this topic.  We can let nuCamp know of it’s presence.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    edited February 2019
    Getting ready to lay down my cash for my 320......I am in Columbus Ohio and live a couple of miles from my closest dealer.   Been on their lot during business hours browsing,   sitting in trailers and doing the shopping thing.   I have been completely unmolested by salesmen.   Interestingly spent time in their showroom and walked around and not a soul in sight.     Picked up a brochure and left.    

Like Jeff,  I am bothered by spending money with a dealership who views my business as too small or unimportant.   I understand and appreciate that my entire trailer cost less than their commission on a $100k airstream.    But $20k is still a lot of money for most of us.

So should we view our warranty as worthless as our local dealers either won't support them or provide shotty work?    I am within a two hour drive of the factory,   so relying on them for any warranty work is a possibility.   

I have read the recommendations of the other forum members regarding Kearns in VT and Miller in Eastern PA.    Kearns website is very nice.     Just a shame Millers isn't more up to date.....but I understand it is very much a side business for them.

Not exactly sure my best course of action.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Cbusguy said:
    Getting ready to lay down my cash for my 320......I am in Columbus Ohio and live a couple of miles from my closest dealer.   Been on their lot during business hours browsing,   sitting in trailers and doing the shopping thing.   I have been completely unmolested by salesmen.   Interestingly spent time in their showroom and walked around and not a soul in sight.     Picked up a brochure and left.    

Like Jeff,  I am bothered by spending money with a dealership who views my business as too small or unimportant.   I understand and appreciate that my entire trailer cost less than their commission on a $100k airstream.    But $20k is still a lot of money for most of us.

So should we view our warranty as worthless as our local dealers either won't support them or provide shotty work?    I am within a two hour drive of the factory,   so relying on them for any warranty work is a possibility.   

I have read the recommendations of the other forum members regarding Kearns in VT and Miller in Eastern PA.    Kearns website is very nice.     Just a shame Millers isn't more up to date.....but I understand it is very much a side business for them.

A lot of people have great sales experiences with your local dealer. I took my T@b there to have them look at my fridge and it was a so-so experience. They were unable to fix my fridge and I found the guys in service to be lukewarm when it comes to customer engagement. I did, however, appreciate the fact that they helped a non-customer. The folks in NE Ohio would not help me.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    @Cbusguy, we purchased from Haydocy even though RV General was closer as they had a star salesman who himself owned a TaB and knew the nuCamp company.  He demonstrated interest, so we drove 2 1/2 hours knowing we would need to make the drive for any warranty or requested work.  Surprisingly enough, the first time we inquired about a minor issue, they told us to take it to nuCamp which is actually closer to us.  We continue to have the factory do our maintenance.  It is not that often that we need to visit nuCamp for service, and we have built the visits into a planned trip.  We have the peace of mind that the work is completed correctly to our satisfaction.  

I have read numerous accounts of disinterested dealers selling other RVs - it is not unique to nuCamp products.  So I say, if you are close enough to the factory for repair work, work with and order your TaB from whatever dealer is within a reasonable drive from which to pick it up.  You can probably handle it over the phone for a new order and save yourself a trip.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    linolino Member Posts: 226
    Cbusguy said:

While Miller website is not always up to date on inventory all you need to do is call
    Partsy Miller who knows a lot about the trailers is is very helpful 

They only sell NuCamp and know their products well
  • Options
    BigGrover said:
    @Jeffronc, @verna,@Sharon_is_sam, Southland RV in Atlanta is a knowledgeable T@b dealer.  That's who Nucamp directed me to because they sell and service quite a few T@bs. My interaction with them was very positive, much better than the dealership that ordered my unit.Just
    Thanks for the responses!
    We made a trip down to Southland last weekend. We have been there several times and found them to be very helpful.
    However, their price was high by a significant amount. (Yes I want my cake...)

Jeff
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    This isn't the first time I've heard of the NC dealer pushing the Little Guy.  In fact, I've heard it several times from several people.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    @Jeffronc interesting about them being high, compared to the dealership  over here in Alabama they were $1200 cheaper.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Such is the nature of product sales through distributors or reps. It is the same in any business that does not have direct channels. A distribution strategy will consider commissions and incentives that provide dealerships/sales folk with better earnings if they sell one product over another. That is how the game is played. A smart distribution plan takes this into consideration. LG may pay better for sales....
  • Options
    After much consideration, we are putting a deposit on a 2019 T@B 400 Boondock Light. We will pick it up in a week or so. 

Yahoo!
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @JeffroNC, congratulations!  Remember, pics or it didn't happen!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    @JeffroNC where did you end up buying from?
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    @BigGrover I went with Tonie's. I liked what he had to say about Nucamp in general and how they were handling a parts situation for a T@B 400 customer. They are only 30 minutes further than Southland from me.
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    easttntabeasttntab Member Posts: 48

Chilhowee RV located on Airport Highway just south of Knoxville, Tn. I bought a used 2016 CSS from them in 2017. I got a very fair deal and they treated me great.  The unit had been winterized by them and their maintenance mechanic un-winterized and thoroughly went through every system with me. He spent an hour and a half with me and went on a road test with me to make sure it towed correctly and that the brakes checked out. I couldn't be happier! I honestly believe if I had needed a lot more time learning all the systems during demonstration, he would have gladly taken the time. I have had it back to them one time and it was ready for pick up the next day. Their number is 865 970-4085. Ashville is about an hour and a half from here.
  • Options
    MattSMattS Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2019
    @JeffroNC What was your purchase experience with Tonie's like?  I've visited both Tonie's and Bumgarner's.  We're waiting to order a 2020.  Neither one of them are ready to take an order yet.  Kind of bewildering that nuCamp hasn't given them enough details so that they can take an order.