Options

How My Perfect T@b Might Look!

I really appreciate the style and compactness of our 320S.  While I think the 400 is a beautiful piece of equipment, for our purposes we see no reason to upgrade.  However, there are often times when it would be great to have just a little more space in the 320.  I've often thought what a huge difference an additional 18" of length would make between the door and the window.  On one side it would make a huge difference to the usability of the bathroom and on the door side would provide valuable space for more cabinetry/storage.  Plus, I am assuming it would accomodate larger tanks which would be a big advantage.  I also like the idea of a little more floor space when two adults and two dogs are maneuvering around at the same time!

So with this in mind I thought it might be fun to try and visualize how it could look.  As my pic shows, the  increase in length, with a tad more height in the center, could be done without radically changing the much-loved look and character of the 320.  Of course, the axle has to be re-centered to maintain balance.

Anyway, I can't help feeling this might be a potentially popular model option NuCamp could offer at a relatively modest cost increase.   I'd be interested!

Comments

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @teztab , I'll jump in here since nobody else has after 3 hours of your post being up and viewed a number of times.  I am new to the T@B, but I suspect that others (like me) have commented that they wish the 320 had "just a little more room" (length and head space), so your concept of adding 18" is not a bad one.  It is evident that 320 owners are very attached to their campers.  While I too would like a little more storage, a bigger bathroom, and a little more bed length for sleeping, the additional 18" would bring the 320 living space 2 1/2 feet closer to the length of the 400 model.  Therefore, it probably would make sense to just move up to the 400 if you want the additional space.  As I commented on another post recently, I originally intended to buy a 400, but opted to go with the shorter 320S simply because it suited my needs.  I have a full-size truck, so storage is not a big concern for me.  However, I still would prefer a larger bathroom (I really like the 400 bathroom) and longer bed.  Regardless, I am happy with the current look and size of the 320S, particularly since my wife and I spend 90% of our time outdoors and we just need a warm and comfortable place to sleep or get out of the cold when the weather "goes south" so to speak.  That is just about all I used my last RV (a 29' 5th wheel) for.  After others have time to digest the idea you have thrown out for discussion, I'm sure the comments will be an interesting read.  I just wanted to get the party started.  Good work on the photo editing and kudos to you for throwing the idea out for discussion.  (Greg)
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Thanks for the tiny teardrop insert, that helps. While our T@B is just right for us, I'm glad you're running this up the pole for others to contemplate. Happens that the only place we can park our T@bit@t is almost exactly 15' long, prohibiting anything longer for us without buying a different house. And this is the home of our dotage!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    If they have to pick between the 2 sizes and producing a size between the 400 and 320 is not feasible, the current size is preferable because of the smaller footprint. I get into a lot of spaces that I could not with the 15' lengeth.

I would love to see the 320 get the beautiful rear end finishing treatment that the 400 has and the more modern styling. I love the cabinet finish in the Avia. I would also make Ultraleather standard.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    While nuCamp quality might compel me to buy a larger T@B (if I were in the market), I personally think the teardrop shape starts to lose its appeal beyond a certain scale, with the 320 just about pushing the limit. Beyond that I'd prefer something more along the lines of a T@DA or R-pod, which initial info suggests is the route nuCamp is taking with the proposed Avia.
    Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You are free to disagree!  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    I was watching Star Wars/A New Hope/Episode One or whatever the kids call it these days, and this helmet sure looked familiar.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    KatieMaeKatieMae Member Posts: 13
    Testab, LOVE your idea of adding an extra 18" to a T@B 320!!  I am a newbie and have recently purchased an '18 T@B 320S. After experiencing 3 other trailers over the past 15 yrs, I LOVE my T@B. I also would like a little lengthier bed, and overall height; of course a little more storage, maybe a wardrobe would be great !  Some of the greatest attributes of the 320 is it's small footprint, narrow width, and light tongue weight. I am able to put it just about anywhere. I also have a full sized truck, and CAMP in my T@B (vs. live in ) so storage is not such an issue.  That said....  an add'l 18" length and 4" ht would be super !! 
    KatieMae - 2010 Toyota Tundra, 2018 T@B 320S Outback
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    320 + 18"  =  T@B 338  👍
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @BrianZ, it is measured in metric....time to recalculate....  and, off the top of my head, I can’t remember whether it was centimeters or millimeters...never can keep those straight.

I had a 320 and a 400 side-by-side and they measured very close to 320 and 400 without including the trim. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    edited August 2019
    I know most of this discussion has been about length/height, but answering the discussion title’s question, my perfect T@B 400 would have a cassette toilet instead of the small black tank (Europe versions have a cassette).  A cassette toilet breaks the dependency of having a dump station to go to, and opens up the option of emptying in a vault toilet or some other bathroom at some less developed campgrounds.  I had a cassette toilet in our pop up camper years ago and enjoyed that flexibility.
  • Options
    teztabteztab Member Posts: 99
    edited August 2019
    In my mind @BrianZ and @Verna it would still be a 320, just a bit longer or extended (besides, the addition of 45.72 cm would make it a 366!).  So from the nomenclature perspective, why not a 320L or perhaps a 320Ext?  Just having fun... 😃
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited August 2019
    Yep, 366 cm or 12 ft.
    Thanks, @Verna, I didn't even know the 320 model number was based on an actual length measurement.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    Verna said:
    @BrianZ, it is measured in metric....time to recalculate....  and, off the top of my head, I can’t remember whether it was centimeters or millimeters...never can keep those straight.
    320 millimeters would be about 13"--and while I consider the T@B's diminutive size a major selling point, that might be a tad bit too small...  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    I'd say that the next step up in size for a small travel trailer of reasonable quality is the Rockwood GeoPro 14FK.  Layout is similar, but has a higher ceiling, bigger fridge, 26gal fresh water tank, two propane tanks, awning, bike rack... and a total weight of only about 200lb more than a 320.  It was my 2nd choice.  
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 927
    A bit wider (8-12inches) 320 CS would be nice inside and in the kitchen.  320 7 wide

• Options
    JeansorJeansor Member Posts: 28
    I agree with rfuss928.  That would be my perfect T@b!
    2013 Nissan Frontier
    2020 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge: Sm@lls
  • Options
    CherokeeCherokee Member Posts: 120
    Glad to see that you pleased with your 400! When I went to the dealer, I told him that I wanted to sleep in a 400, but I wanted to pull a T@G. So we bought a 320. Note that the extra weight, width and length will require a substantial TV.  
    1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (2" lift and 30" tires) 2019 T@B 320 Boondogle