Options

Installation of roof mount solar panels on a T&B 400

What is the best way to route the wires from the roof of the T&B400 to the battery area?  Can the entry on the roof be completely masked by the solar panel?  

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    I believe the TaB 400 second model year solar installation had the panel cover the wire entry through the roof.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    I suspect the wires don't care, but I'd prefer to have the entry point at a place where I could easily inspect and maintain it if needed.
    Just recently there was a discussion about a roof leak that I think may have traced back to the solar panel wiring.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    The wires on the new TABs come down through a panel in the rear of the closet that holds the AC duct above the bed.  This path gets you right into the water pump compartment and behind the converter.  From there it follows a preexisting path to the Alde compartment where the Victron converter is mounted next to the 120v wall outlet.  From there it snakes into the battery area and connects into the power distribution block just outside the battery compartment. 
    F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
  • Options
    @Awca12a, does the solar panel cover the roof entry hole for the wires?
  • Options
    NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    @Sharon_is_SAM - On my early 2019 400, the solar panels do NOT cover the roof entry hole. The 400 is in storage, but from memory I could clearly see the roof entry location area when I'm climbing up to wash it. It's above the closet area, I think, or in that general area.

Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    I knew that was true of the earliest 400s with the solar panel mountings, but I thought I read that the newest 400s had planted the solar panel directly over the wire hole.  Oh @Michigan_Mike!

I think Mike may have that info.
  • Options
    Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    The November build units cover the hole entirely.  It's really a slick design and if you can get the flexible panel directly from the factory, it has kept the 400 topped-off even while running the ALDE
    F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    The new 195W solar single flat panel is a very neat and clean installation.  No wires showing and we are pleased with the product.  We’ve been out two weeks and had no real issues of concern.  The biggest draw is the frig and biggest concern obviously is available sunlight.  We have the solar Luci lights that we use to conserve energy and if I think about it I will unplug the power to the TV sets onboard.  If you run consecutive cloudy days you will have to monitor things closely as the batteries will draw down eventually unless you receive a boost from the sun.  I’m running a 50 quart ARB off the system too  (unplug it at night when the temps dip) and we plan our trips via the weather, and can charge the system up with the tow vehicle during travel if need be.  

One thing I’ve been thinking about looking into is a small wind generation system or the availability therein.  California and Arizona have an abundance of wind and it would be nice to find a compact system that could be adapted to the trailer and used to supplement and boost power when weather turns ugly and the wind blows.   
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

One thing I’ve been thinking about looking into is a small wind generation system or the availability therein.  California and Arizona have an abundance of wind and it would be nice to find a compact system that could be adapted to the trailer and used to supplement and boost power when weather turns ugly and the wind blows.   
    It seems a lot of these western states have pretty co stant wind almost every afternoon. I noticed that in Colorado, too  keep us posted as to what you find. I think this could be useful, too. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Jax0913Jax0913 Member Posts: 64
    Looking to do a flex panel install on my 400 as well. I am pretty handy and have been doing a lot of reading and research and think it would be worth the DIY option versus $1,246.00 Plus dealer install of factory panels. 

Are you planning to drill for your cables into the closet compartment? I am definitely a little nervous about putting a hole in the top of my 400. I think I also saw a post of the cables running down the sewer vent... Did anyone else see that? Or words of wisdom that drilling for cables isn't that bad ;)
    2018 T@B 400
    2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
  • Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    Jax0913 said:
    ...I am definitely a little nervous about putting a hole in the top of my 400. I think I also saw a post of the cables running down the sewer vent... Did anyone else see that? Or words of wisdom that drilling for cables isn't that bad ;)
    Drilling cable holes in the roof is pretty easy.  Of course, you don't want anything to leak and you want it to look good.  Get one of these (there are a few different models on Amazon, and in black or white- depending).  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0111RNZDY   

you'll also need to get some RV roof sealant.  I might be the only one, but I was terribly unimpressed with the Dicor product.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BRF7QE/   It had no adhesive properties- so it doesn't bond the cable entry housing onto the roof.  I ended up using this 3M VHB tape- which is terrific and very strong.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K4SFP4D  it's used to bond moldings onto cars.  And then gooped it all up with the Dicor stuff.

my solar install went very smoothly- albeit for a 320, so, not sure where the best place is to run your wires.  I've provided links in my post to all the main products I used.  https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/8869/my-solar-install-clean-and-simple

Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • Options
    Jax0913Jax0913 Member Posts: 64
    Thanks @morey000 I definitely read through your post and bookmarked it already! I appreciate the response! Based on this thread I am thinking above the closet is the best point to get roof access and easily run some cables. 

Thanks again! 
    2018 T@B 400
    2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab