Options

What is Gross Trailer Weight and Dry Tongue Weight of 2019 T@B 400 with Fridge and Microwave?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited May 2020
    AirBoss the 400# + tongue weight came from actual measurements.  Mine is a 2018 with A/C in the front, weighed in at 400lbs with 1/2 full tanks (water/gray), as was the early 2019 was dry, with empty propane bottle, and weighed be Paul, the Air Force Guy, in one of his videos.  Yours is lighter because you have the AC and Battery in the rear.  

Placement of those heavy batteries can make a big difference.  Paul’s 2019 had the battery in the front right side of the rear bunk next to the outside hatch.  Mine has the battery halfway back under the middle of the bunk, the  battery on your late 2019 is probably under the bunk middle all the way to the rear, behind the AC, as is the 2020.  

The 2021 moved the AC back up to the front, but left the battery all the way back.  Those heavy batteries make a nice counterbalance to keep the tongue weight in the 10-15% range.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    @Denny16, well now...doesn't that alter the calculus. I was not aware nuCamp made such changes mid-production in 2019. Moving A/C (#'s unknown) and AGM bat's (130# +/-) aft would most certainly explain the delta between my 400 and those of others that were manu'd earlier in the production cycle. 

Top of my head I don't know when my 400 was built but one indication of timing is the modification noted here and the fact that to the Air 8 vents on the underside of the rig were installed at the factory. 

Thanks for the clarification. This forum never ceases to add insight, knowledge, color...and humor! Safe travels. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    You are welcome, and the build date of your TaB is on the left side of the trailer tongue on builder’s label.  Mine was built in Jan 2018, just before the winter break and the start of the 2019 models.  Early 2019 TaB400s were same build as late 2018.  And as you have discovered a late 2019 is similar/same features and 2020.  I have a 75lbs CoolCat under my front seat, and you a lighter Air 8 under the bunk.
    cheers
  • Options
    jrhameljrhamel Member Posts: 101
    I have the 2019 400 BDL with A/C in front and battery in the front side of the rear bunk. I also have 2 propane tanks in the front box. My tongue weight has to be in the high 400lb range which is getting near my TV's 500 lb limit. I'm thinking of ways to lower the tongue weight. We do almost exclusiviley dry camping so having 2 proprane tanks are a must especially in cooler weather camping for both the Alde and frig.. I could put one of the propane tanks in the bed of the truck but not sure that will be enough with a the camper packed for a 2 or 3 month trip? I could take one propane tank and the spare tire and put in the truck. Sense we never use our A/C I could pull that out and store until when or if we ever sell. 
    Thoughts?
     20 T@G XL Boondock and 2019 Ford F 150 4x4

Madison, Wi
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    @Denny16 Good info, thanks. Yeah, my guess was close to 200lbs moved aft of the axle. That's a considerable amount and impact on tongue weight (though not all of that can be subtracted from the tongue weight of course). 

I really like where I store the rig (HOA prohibits RV's in drivways and vehicle on the street for more than 24 hours. Storage is valet and all paved lot and they ask you to call 24hrs in advance to have your rig staged for pick up. They offer a long list of repair services and "pre-trip" services...when you call you can have them turn on 12V systems, start the fridge, wash the rig, fill H2O, Propane, and on and on. 

Bad news is (isn't there always?), the rig is not at my fingertips and I can't really "work" on it there (so I can't run out and check the builders label on the tongue, but I'll check it next time, thanks..figured it had to be on there somewhere). I've had them stage it for several days in the staging lot when I first go it so I could outfit, provision, etc. and they're cool about that and minor stuff. But if I want to do mods, etc., I'll have to "ask for forgiveness instead of permission" and park it in our driveway for a couple days. First World Problem, to be sure, but it doesn get a bit frustrating when you feel like tinkering around.

@jrhamel Maybe look into a rack like on the Boondock to store the spare? Don't know if that's possible. Would seem removing the A/C would help (if the task is worth the reward). Sounds like you're on the rigth track with those mods.

Do you cook outside? Maybe using outdoor grills/griddle you could get by with portable propane stowed in the TV and a single tank on the 400? 

Guess you could always find a few ingots of lead, mount a steel channel crossways under the trailer at the rear and slide the ingots in there to counterbalance the tongue!?  :o;)

2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    edited June 2020
    OK, the CoolCat weighs in around 75-80lbs, so that would more than compensate for the two propane tanks, which tip the scales at around 37 lbs when full.  That would make the biggest difference, if you do not use it at all.

Shifting the spare tire would reduce some weight, easy enough to drop it and check the weight.  Shifting tire/tank to the truck would reduce tongue wt. and relocate the weight to the truck cargo limit (which the tongue weight is part of anyway, so no total cargo weight loss or gain.  

The previous owner of out late 2018 Tab 400 shifted the large 200 amp AGN battery from the right side rear locker to under the rear bunk in the middle compartment centered halfway in.  With the CoolCat AC and spare tire in place, and 1/2 filled tanks, this reduced out tongue weight from 435-450 lbs to 400 lbs, with a full single propane tank, it is 420ish lbs.  So the battery can be sifted back to act as a counterbalance weight.  nuCamp did this sometime  during the 2019 run, locating the battery to the rear center compartment, which I am considering doing.  The AGM 200 amp battery bank tips the scale at around 200-225 lbs.

This shows the two 6-VDC AGM batteries indermthe rear bunk area on a 2019 or 2021 unit, which was previously posted here by its owner.
    cheers

• Options
    treefrogtreefrog Member Posts: 95
    Denny16 said:
    OK, the CoolCat weighs in around 75-80lbs, so that would more than compensate for the two propane tanks, which tip the scales at around 37 lbs when full.  That would make the biggest difference, if you do not use it at all.

Shifting the spare tire would reduce some weight, easy enough to drop it and check the weight.  Shifting tire/tank to the truck would reduce tongue wt. and relocate the weight to the truck cargo limit (which the tongue weight is part of anyway, so no total cargo weight loss or gain.  

The previous owner of out late 2018 Tab 400 shifted the large 200 amp AGN battery from the right side rear locker to under the rear bunk in the middle compartment centered halfway in.  With the CoolCat AC and spare tire in place, and 1/2 filled tanks, this reduced out tongue weight from 435-450 lbs to 400 lbs, with a full single propane tank, it is 420ish lbs.  So the battery can be sifted back to act as a counterbalance weight.  nuCamp did this sometime  during the 2019 run, locating the battery to the rear center compartment, which I am considering doing.  The AGM 200 amp battery bank tips the scale at around 200-225 lbs.

This shows the two 6-VDC AGM batteries indermthe rear bunk area on a 2019 unit, which was previously posted here by its owner.
    cheers

I think this picture is from a 2021 model trailer.
  • Options
    @AirBoss, I like the idea of adding weight to the rear with the lead but it might be above my pay grade to figure that one out. The problem with the rear boondock rack would be that it would block the stargazer window and keep us from opening more than a crack. But they do look cool on the 320's. 

@Denny16 I think I'm going to explore taking out the A/C, that seems the like to best way to remove weight and not just redistribute it. I'm wondering, or over thinking, if I remove 75-80lbs from the front drivers side will that have any impact or unbalancing of weight considering that my battery is on the passenger side in the front of the rear bonk? 

Madison, Wi
  • Options
    @jrhamel, I think you might not lose as much from the tongue as you hope by removing the AC.  It is far enough from the tongue that you may see only half the weight taken off the tongue.  Lead in the sewer hose tube might work.  I would get a Sherline scale and experiment.
  • Options
    @treefrog Have you used one? Is the 1,000 lb enough? Thanks

Madison, Wi
  • Options
    @jrhamel Yes I have the 1000# unit.  It's not cheap but compared to what I have spent on my TV and trailer....
    Gives a lot of peace of mind.
  • Options
    @treefrog thanks think that might be the  best place to start rather than tearing out the A/C first.

Madison, Wi
  • Options
    Or just shift your your Battery per my illustration previously posted.  That brought my tongue weight down to a manageable 400 lbs.  Notmsuremimwluld want too much less.
    cheers
  • Options
    I did as @treefrog suggesteed and bought a tongue weight scale. With one empty propane tank and otherwise dry and empty trailer the 400 weighed in at 459lbs. I've more than likley been over my tongue capacity when packed up and 2 full propane tanks. I spoke with a tech. at our local Nucamp dealer and according to him it would cost about $500 to move the batteries and more than likely I wouldn't get as much weight off the tongue as I would like. I spoke with another 400 owner who has the same TV as I do and he uses the Anderson WDH and is very happy with the towing. According to Ford specs with a WHD I would go from a 500 lb max tongue weight to 800 lbs and from 5000 lb towing to 8000. I know its a whole lot more than I will ever need but I won't have to worry anymore. 
    Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone.

Happy camping

Madison, Wi
  • Options
    Tree frog, you may be right, but the concept is the same, and I like the clean look and sealed storage area, vs having the whole area open.
  • Options
    jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    edited June 2020
    I measured the tongue weight on my 2019 t@b400 when I bought it. 460# dry except for maybe 15# of propane and a few gallons of water. FYI, batteries in the back, spare up front. 
    2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    @jimcenname, What's the max tongue weight on your truck? Do you use a WDH?

Madison, Wi
  • Options
    jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    I can't find the spec for the max tongue weight but I believe it is 10% of the towing capacity of the truck 10% of 6000 # = 600#. I do not use WDH or anti sway bar. I feel the trailer handles well without either. I've driven is some high winds with no significant effect.
    2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019