Options

Brahma Wheel Lock-Tab 400 Boondock

Has anyone installed a Brahma Wheel Lock Model WL001 on a Tab 400 Boondock tire/wheel? That tire is a 235/75R15 and while the company website says that model fits most 15" and 16" tires, at least one dealer website I found says that tire size is too big.

I was going to buy the way less expensive Trimax wheel lock, but reviews indicate it can be easily defeated, from easily picking the lock to prying off to sawing off with some Amazon reviews indicating they lost a trailer with that lock.

I realize only so much you can do, but sound like even an amateur thief isn't slowed down much by a lot of these locks.

I am thinking I might be better off spending my anti-theft money on the Brahma lock if it fits and skipping the Proven Industries coupler lock in favor of a much simpler lock on the coupler as all coupler locks are easily defeated for short distances by not using the coupler, just wrapping a chain around tongue and going.
2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite

Comments

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    edited March 2019
    Do you live near Portland Or?
    Judi
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @jgram2 no, I am in Central Oregon. Got your PM, will call the number.
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited June 2019
    Thought I would post (for the benefit of others) the below information, which I received from Brahma (Classic Industrial Design).  I had inquired as to whether their wheel lock will work on the 235/75R15 tire on my 2019 T@B 320S Boondock Lite.  I included a photograph of the wheel and tire.  Guess I'm out of luck and will have to stick with the Trimax TCL75, which I currently use on my camper:

Thank you for your interest in the Brahma wheel lock.

I regret to inform you that the wheel you have on your trailer will not fit the Brahma wheel lock.

We are usually able to help secure the T@B trailers, this is the only model so far that we are not able to provide a lock for.

Thank you for contacting us and I am sorry that we cannot help you at this time.

Warm regards,

Luiza Draganska

Classic Industrial Design Ltd.

Burnaby, B.C., Canada

Shortly after receiving the above message, Luiza wrote back and added.............

Yes, the first time we heard about the boondock we took a chance and sent out the lock, the customer got back to us and said it fit like a glove.

Last month however we had two people with brand new Boondocks return the lock saying it does not fit, perhaps something has changed.

If you think that your wheel may fit the lock I would recommend borrowing a large Brahma lock from a T@B friend to see if it fits.

The company policy now is to say that it does not fit the new boondocks as we cannot afford the returns.

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    @Bayliss Interesting. I know several people on the Facebook groups who’ve said it works fine with the 2019 BD, and a few who could not get it to work, but who weren’t sure if it was them or the device at fault. There’s so little clearance between the BD tire and fender, I can’t imagine how it does work, but people definitely still have used it with success on that model.

Certainly if you’re still wanting one, it’s probably worth seeing if anyone local to you has one to try. Or if you’re going to uCamp, I’m sure there will be plenty there!
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Thanks @VictoriaP.  I am unable to make it to uCamp this year, but that was a good idea.  I suspect that the problem is as you say......very little clearance between the tire and fender.  I have seen comments about problems people have had with installing the Brahma, but could not find anything specific about the Boondock tire.  However, now I (and others) know Classic Industrial's view on the matter.  (Greg)
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• Options
    Interesting. I have one on my 400 BD right this minute and same tire size as 320 BD apparently. I will admit, 1st time took me a bit and it is due to the clearances, but yesterday I was probably a minute total. It fits the tire fine, it is just getting in on that is a bit tight.

For those struggling you might try opposite side, I could see if there is any offset to the axle body, it might be tougher on one side than the other.
  • Options
    @N7SHG_Ham, I assume you are referring to the "opposite" side as being the passenger side.  Is that correct?  Based on previous posts I have read regarding the Brahma lock, the manufacturer's instructions apparently recommend that you attach the lock to the driver's side of the camper, presumably so that you see it is still attached before you drive off and damage the wheel/camper.  Some T@B owners have apparently found it to be easier to attach the lock to the passenger side wheel (standard size wheel.)  If at some point you are inclined to try the lock on the passenger side of your camper, and don't mind posting a photo, I would be interested in seeing it.  Don't do it just for my benefit, and there certainly is no rush.  I'm just curious.  Based on some previous discussions regarding the small amount of clearance between the camper fenders and the Boondock tires, which I seem to recall you may have participated in, I'm thinking that the lack of sufficient clearance must be the issue, not the size or design of the Boondock tire.  Thanks.  (Greg)

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    I recall that someone with a 320 jacked up the driver side wheel and that provided sufficient clearance.  We use ours on the passenger tire. Able to get it on the driver’s side only after we removed the fender!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM, I recall that as well.  I would hate to have to jack up the camper (or worse, have to remove a fender) just to get the lock on and off.  Doesn't sound like fun.

One nice thing about the Trimax wheel chock is the ease of use, it weighs a whole lot less, and it is much easier to store.  However, I have been concerned lately that it might be possible to remove it by simply letting some air out the tire and prying/slipping the lock off the tire.  Haven't tried it myself, and I have not seen anyone on the Internet complaining about that happening to them, but it seems possible that it could be a vulnerability of the Trimax lock.  (Apparently, the Brahma cannot be removed by simply letting the air out of the tire.)

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    You can only do so much to protect from theft.  I think being careful where you choose to park it will go a long way to keeping it safe.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Bayliss said:

One nice thing about the Trimax wheel chock is the ease of use, it weighs a whole lot less, and it is much easier to store.  However, I have been concerned lately that it might be possible to remove it by simply letting some air out the tire and prying/slipping the lock off the tire.  Haven't tried it myself, and I have not seen anyone on the Internet complaining about that happening to them, but it seems possible that it could be a vulnerability of the Trimax lock.  (Apparently, the Brahma cannot be removed by simply letting the air out of the tire.)
    The Trimax is available in keyed-alike pairs, which is what I opted to do. At least that way they have to deflate both tires. I’m not interested in a lock that requires me to jack up the trailer just to use it.

That said, anything that slows them down will probably be enough to make most thieves look elsewhere. They want a quick heist, not one where the neighbors have plenty of time to notice and call the cops. No lock, Brahma included, will stop someone from taking a 320 if they really want one...bring enough strong men and they can lift the trailer onto a flatbed to deal with the locks somewhere more private. (The guys in high school used to do this to each others’ cars all the time, moving them to another part of the parking lot or even around the corner!) Organized theft rings are just that, really organized and thorough planners; my sales guy had some interesting stories to tell about rings that have at times been active not far from the dealership. One such ring targeted a very specific type of boat motor, and despite both locks and cameras, walked off with 26 of them from boats in one weekend parked in people’s yards over a three square mile section of the county. Camera footage showed they brought 3-5 people. It took them no more than a couple of minutes to drive up in the middle of the night, defeat the locks, unmount the motor and leave with their $3k prize. They’d obviously done their homework.

Layer your security to make it difficult, have replacement value insurance if possible, and then remember that the odds are low you’ll be targeted unless you keep the trailer in a high crime area.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    @Bayliss yes, passenger side. That is the side I have it installed on and in fact, I don't think I have had it on the driver side.

• Options
    DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    @VictoriaP  Agreed about the trimax. I plan to get a set of them so that the spare tire doesn't do them any good... I quickly went out and bought a cheap knock off from Camping World last weekend just so I'd have something as I was parking at a friends just outside Baltimore. (Had never been to their house.. Their neighborhood turned out to be a quite nice working class one that felt a lot safer when actually saw it in person, but I darn well used the lock)

Also absolutely agreed about deterrence.. someone who really wants to can defeat any security measures.. but you can often avoid being a target of opportunity.

~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past