transporting a trailer across USA

We are looking to buy a trailer in another state.  Wondering if any one know of a company to haul it across.

Comments

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    We are looking to buy a trailer in another state.  Wondering if any one know of a company to haul it across.
    I know someone who just had her T@b transported from AZ to NC (Dec 2018.) She used uship.com and was happy with the results. She did not pick the highest or the lowest bid.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    I used Uship.com to move my T@B from AZ to NY.  Very satisfied with the service.  Cost ~$1000 in 2011

• GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    We've purchased multiple boats, cars/trucks and trailers states away.  Just enjoyed the trip out and back getting them.  What's the apprehension going and getting it?

But, friends have used Uship with fine results.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @GatorEgg, some members don’t have the luxury of time off from work and you need to factor in the expense of travel.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    Uship prices will probably come in around $1300- to $1600, depending.  
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @morey000 what distance is that estimated quote? I think I am making a trip out of my 400 pickup, BUT it may be almost cheaper to use Uship let alone the time off work. It costs me about $0.25 a mile just in fuel towing with my pickup. I just don't know if I trust some unknown driver making pennies a mile to treat a new trailer well.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @GatorEgg I don't understand it either.    
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    GatorEgg said:
    We've purchased multiple boats, cars/trucks and trailers states away.  Just enjoyed the trip out and back getting them.  What's the apprehension going and getting it?

But, friends have used Uship with fine results.
    Limited vacation time for some and for some not owning the right TV, yet.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    edited March 2019
    @ jkjenn I will never profess to being able to see the world through other peoples eyes.     

But I like to have everything lined up before making a big purchase,   yes checking all the boxes.   

Buying a trailer, beyond choosing it,   
    can I tow it safely?  
    Will I be able to use it enough to make it a worth while purchase? 
    Can I afford the payments without significant impact to my lifestyle?
    then can I afford to enjoy it after making the payments?
    Where am I gonna park it when I am not using it?    

Driving crossed country to pick it up is part of why I am buying it.   We are planning on camping our way home over a mid week period and learning the camper as we go.   

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    We all take a different approach to our decisions and purchases. I had no idea the T@B even existed until I bumped into one quite by accident on a dealer lot. I had only a short list of general criteria I wanted in my first camper and the T@B met most all of them. In that regard it wasn't exactly an impulse purchase, but I gave little consideration to quality, specific features, dealer reputation, or my own lack of RV knowledge. I just wanted that camper and assumed I'd figure out the rest on the fly.
    I could easily chide the belt-and-suspenders types that linger (sometimes for years) over all the minutia before pulling the trigger. That wouldn't work for me, but by the same token my approach most certainly wouldn't work for them. Ya' gotta be true to yourself and be willing to let other do the same.  ;-)
    2015 T@B S
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    @morey000 what distance is that estimated quote? I think I am making a trip out of my 400 pickup, BUT it may be almost cheaper to use Uship let alone the time off work. It costs me about $0.25 a mile just in fuel towing with my pickup. I just don't know if I trust some unknown driver making pennies a mile to treat a new trailer well.
    I was getting offers in the ~$0.60/mi range.  
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
    edited March 2019
    @morey000 thanks for the rate. If that was recent, it seems dirt cheap, and would certainly be cheaper than me doing it as I have empty miles one way. Of course I am looking at it as an adventure, just bad timing with work right now as busy season is in high gear. Just looked at Uship for recent completed towable units in the 1000+ miles and up range, rates look to be around $1.25 per mile.
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    @GatorEgg, some members don’t have the luxury of time off from work and you need to factor in the expense of travel.
    I totally understand that.  I was just asking to maybe provide a suggestion.  As I said I've purchased all kinds of things from various places.  My last purchase, about 8 months ago, was my 40 year old F150 which had been found in a barn under a pile of hay after 15 years of storage .  I had planned to fly to OKC and drive it back to Fla.   After being told by everyone in my family how shaky of an idea this was I had it shipped.  UShip - $600 from OKC to Tampa, Fl.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Does Uship put it on a flatbed or do they tow a trailer?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    @Sharon_is_SAM I believe you can specify, however on a truck or flatbed trailer will be higher rates I think. It looks to me like the $1-$1.50 a mile rates are just folks with a tow vehicle towing it. I think rates off the ground are more in the $2-3 range.