Options

Newbie Definitions

Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
edited April 2019 in Camping & Travel
I was writing-up a list of definitions to help introduce friends and family to the RV lingo .
I'm trying to keep it as short as possible containing only what is necessary so they will actually read it.
Any suggestions for what I might have left out or might be confusing explanations?
Thanks

revised 3-16 and it grew too long for the forum size so it was replaced with the PDF;
removed 4-1 as it is now part of the Unofficial Resource Guide Post

F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL

Comments

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    rectify power is incorrect.....To rectify power is to convert from ac to dc.....Inverting power is from dc to ac

AGM batterys are just another battery type lead acid technology.     they come in many energy capacity's,  while they have other beneficial quality's calling out higher power shouldn't be one of them.

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    AnnieTabAnnieTab Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for some good information...
  • Options
    JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    Discussion of AGM batteries is slightly incorrect. Not all of the 400s have 12V AGMs.  After 4/8, NuCamp went to two 6V batteries.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    Interested parties might enjoy this old thread as well!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Hi @Awca12a , I own a T@B 320S, but since you have put so much time and effort into your unofficial T@B 400 guide, which I believe we ALL greatly appreciate and benefit from, I have attached some suggestions for your list.  They may not necessarily be accurate for the 400, or your specific needs, so please feel free to use, tweak or ignore any of them.  I would include them in this post for others to read, but I was unable to use the "strike-out" function, or put the changes in "red" as I did in the attached document.  However, others should be able to open it up at their end if they are interested in reviewing the document.  Good luck, and THANKS!

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @Awca12a, thorough and well explained.  I think it will be an easy read as you hit the highlights!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    monamona Member Posts: 241
    Just a few words on towing components. The ball is mounted on a ball mount. The ball mount is what is inserted into the square receiver on the hitch. 

Jeannie
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    You are brave, @Awca12a! If you read the old thread I linked to above you'll see that getting people to agree on definitions is exceeding difficult.
    It is a fun exercise, however. Rock on!  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    edited March 2019
    @Bayliss  Huge Thank You for your editing.    Since this is part of a larger guide, I tried to refrain from How To explanations but you pointed out that I needed to add some SAFETY NOTES which I did.  Great great help.

Thanks to everyone above for pointing out what needed fixing.

I've replaced the original post with the revised descriptions to avoid confusion as I had some mistakes and clarifications were needed.  It grew too long for the forum so it is posted as a PDF should anyone find it of value.

F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Many, many years ago I took a class in writing computer manuals for end users. My takeaway was documentation is most useful when it is task based, i.e. organized around specific things a person wants to do. With that in mind, I made a set of little laminated cards for us. One card each for things like “hitch up the trailer”, “heat the cabin using the Alde”, or “play a DVD on the TV.” Each card has the step by step instructions for that task, including photos or diagrams if appropriate. Being old and forgetful, we use these things every time we camp. I hope this idea is helpful.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Great idea, @Photomom !
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• Options
    Excellent job with the revised definitions, @Awca12a .  It is an excellent resource for newbies, because it answers a lot of questions that are repeatedly asked on this and other forums (e.g., what's a coupler? a dog bone? why are you telling me about a "television" when all I asked was what kind of vehicle should I buy to pull a T@B?, etc., etc.), and does it in a clear and understandable way.  Adding the photos is very helpful, as are the notations that refer the user back to the relevant section in your Resource Guide.  You have done a lot of work on your Guide and should be very proud of it.  (Greg)