Options

Fantastic Fan Upgrade to 7350 - dramatic improvement in efficiency

Comments

• Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    edited April 2019
    I agree the bulky cover is a compromise. I refer to it as “a pimple on a supermodel “ as it detracts from the 400. The cover does allow for ventilation regardless of weather and not as crucial to be closed when traveling.  We put it on before the upgrade to the fan. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    More like a wart than a pimple, but each to his own.  I like the idea of the integrated Max Fan solution. 
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    edited April 2019
    klenger said:
    More like a wart than a pimple, but each to his own.  I like the idea of the integrated Max Fan solution. 
    That is the superior solution except in one circumstance:  if you have a 400 with factory solar, the integrated hood blocks part of the solar panel.  That's the only reason I didn't go with a Maxx.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • Options
    I have factory solar and an aerovent cover and have not had an issue with low solar gain due to any shading.  
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    DenisP said:
    I have factory solar and an aerovent cover and have not had an issue with low solar gain due to any shading.  
    Different animal entirely.  When closed, the Maxx extends several inches aft of the vent opening.  It isn't just an issue of shading--the hood actually blocks part of the panel.  This picture from another post is what spooked me away from the Maxx.  And I was disappointed, because I used to have this exact fan on my last RV and it was far superior to the Dometic product in every respect.  But I boondock frequently, and I couldn't have any of my off-grid power sources compromised.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Thanks for clarification. After looking at your picture it is apparent that they are different. There isn’t any overhang with my cover and any shading would be due to the sun’s direction. 

2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    @JeffroNC call Dometic (owners of Fantastic Fan) and explain what is going on. They may just give you a new one if it’s not too old.  (866) 869-3118
    I called and they are sending a new motor. Great service. Thanks for the suggestion.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    The one thing that I cannot seem to conquer in this mod is getting the fan to reverse after the upgrade. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Has it ever reversed?  I have been able to reverse the fan all along (before and after the upgrade).
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    DenisP said:
    Has it ever reversed?  I have been able to reverse the fan all along (before and after the upgrade).
    Yes, I could reverse before the upgrade but never after and I have even had the factory replace the motor.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    If you haven’t already perhaps another call to Dometic for troubleshooting advice. I was going to suggest check wiring for anything loose but if you replaced the motor you have already been there. 
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    sranderlesranderle Member Posts: 78
    After installing the Fantastic Fan 7350 upgrade kit today, I'm only getting four fan speeds.  It works on 100 %, 100/85, 85, and 85/70%.  Once I set it to 70%, the fan shuts off.

Has anyone else run into this?

I will call Fantastic Fan tomorrow.

Steve & Sherry
    2016 T@b Q
    Lakeville, MN
  • Options
    I was fortunate not to have that issue but have found Dometic support very helpful.
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    jmiller808jmiller808 Member Posts: 14
    sranderle said:
    After installing the Fantastic Fan 7350 upgrade kit today, I'm only getting four fan speeds.  It works on 100 %, 100/85, 85, and 85/70%.  Once I set it to 70%, the fan shuts off.

Has anyone else run into this?

I will call Fantastic Fan tomorrow.

Sounds like you did the same thing I did when I installed mine. If you look at the install instructions it mentions doing something with a jumper that is on the board. Set that as indicated and you should be good to go.
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    @sranderle I had the same lack of speeds issue after upgrading.  See my March 29 entry in this discussion https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/113169#Comment_113169

Dometic should get you straightened out.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    sranderlesranderle Member Posts: 78
    Sounds like you did the same thing I did when I installed mine. If you look at the install instructions it mentions doing something with a jumper that is on the board. Set that as indicated and you should be good to go.
    Thanks for the reminder to read the instructions more carefully.  Even though they are not very good, they did say to remove the jumper from the circuit board for my pancake style motor.  After doing that, my fan now operates with all 14 speeds!

Now to fix the door handle issue I just found; interior latch is broken off.   
    Steve & Sherry
    2016 T@b Q
    Lakeville, MN
  • Options
    ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
    @DenisP You mentioned a You Tube video used to help with your upgrade install.  I have been unable to locate such a video.  Might you be able to post a link?  I’ll also put the same request to anyone else who might have more helpful info on how to do the install.  I have my upgrade kit in hand, and hope to get it in this weekend.  Any link to help would be appreciated. 
    Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
    nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    @ADRawli This is a link to an upgrade YouTube video https://youtu.be/IXxJkHEUgSo.  It was helpful to me.
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    @DenisP Thank you!  That will be good reference. 

• Options
    Just finished this upgrade to our 400 BDL.  I like it now, but the instructions that Dometic provided left a whole lot to be desired. I couldn't figure out if the connections I had were different or what, and there was no mention of how to connect the dome lift motor.  I finally just ran to Home Depot and bought a small box of insulated pressure fittings (16-14), and cut off all existing and new connections, except for previously mentioned dome lift wiring which was all part of the new kit, and then just connected black to black, white to white, and red from fan motor to blue/red wire of new unit.  I drilled a hole just big enough to get the plug end of rain sensor through since the “t-slot” in mine was only half there, and that worked well. Then I agonized a bit more trying to get all the wiring in the right place to get the shroud back on.   But... it’s all back in one piece now, and all works as it should.  Wish there were remote options for cracking the hood instead of just open and closed, but I guess for that one thing I can live with having to get up off my rear and do it manually.  

• Options
    ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 272
    Just scored the upgrade kit for $105 from the Amazon warehouse. It was opened but new in the box. Now, I just need to install it.
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    ADRawli said:
    Just finished this upgrade to our 400 BDL.  I like it now, but the instructions that Dometic provided left a whole lot to be desired. I couldn't figure out if the connections I had were different or what, and there was no mention of how to connect the dome lift motor.  I finally just ran to Home Depot and bought a small box of insulated pressure fittings (16-14), and cut off all existing and new connections, except for previously mentioned dome lift wiring which was all part of the new kit, and then just connected black to black, white to white, and red from fan motor to blue/red wire of new unit.  I drilled a hole just big enough to get the plug end of rain sensor through since the “t-slot” in mine was only half there, and that worked well. Then I agonized a bit more trying to get all the wiring in the right place to get the shroud back on.   But... it’s all back in one piece now, and all works as it should.  Wish there were remote options for cracking the hood instead of just open and closed, but I guess for that one thing I can live with having to get up off my rear and do it manually.  
    In addition to the inability to crack open the dome, you’ll also note that when moisture hits the rain sensor, the dome will close but the fan doesn’t shut off.  Remember that part of the instructions where you were supposed to plug that white wire with a bullet terminal into a small socket instead of connecting it into another white wire?  That socket was actually a pressure switch that kills the power when the dome closes.  We don’t have that switch and unfortunately there’s no way to install one.  So, the fan will continue to run when the dome closes in the rain. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    @JEB. Ahhh... now it makes sense.  That’s less than not cool. Makes the rain sensor barely better than useless. Yeah, the instructions said to plug that white wire into the “dome switch”....which made me scratch my head for an hour... what’s a “dome switch”??  Thanks for the clarity.  I’d think installing one couldn’t be too hard.  It would just have to be placed as a break in the fan motor power circuit ( that white wire).  A pressure switch that opens the circuit when the dome is closed. Does Dometic make an upgrade kit to their upgrade kit?

• Options
    @jeb Think I found it.  I can see now how this would have hooked up, but where would it have been mounted on the base?

• Options
    edited May 2019
    ADRawli said:
    @jeb Think I found it.  I can see now how this would have hooked up, but where would it have been mounted on the base?

I should have completed the thought. I did earlier in this thread.  The switch is easy to find.  The problem is that there’s no place to mount it on our particular model.  There’s no predrilled hole in the garnish and there’s no bump out in the dome edge for the switch to make contact. The fan model on the T@B was designed assuming you’d use a hood so a switch was evidently deemed not necessary by Dometic.  If you could figure out a way to make this work, great.  Please post. I could not without making far more modifications than I was comfortable with.
  • Options
    I am sorry I am of no help as I had an Aero Flo hood in place before I upgraded and because of its’ protection I didn’t install the rain sensor. 
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    sranderle said:
    Thanks for the reminder to read the instructions more carefully.  Even though they are not very good, they did say to remove the jumper from the circuit board for my pancake style motor.  After doing that, my fan now operates with all 14 speeds!

Did you remove it, altogether or move it? If you moved it, do you remember where to? I probably need to do that.

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    sranderle said:

Did you remove it, altogether or move it? If you moved it, do you remember where to? I probably need to do that.
    Remove it altogether. 
  • Options
    @jkjenn I know you asked @sranderle but I didn’t remove the jumper, just moved it so that it only contacted 1 of the two posts it was jumping/connecting.  I’m not sure why I’d ever need it again, but it’s still part of the unit in case I ever find a reason.  It’s my “pack rat” DNA, possibly, a tendency my wife is trying to help me overcome. 🙂

• Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    I really want to be able to crack the vent open partially in cold temps. Is it necessary to install the electric lift? I mostly want the quieter fan speeds.

2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI