Options

Fantastic Fan Upgrade to 7350 - dramatic improvement in efficiency

Comments

• Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    edited July 2020
    @sptucker @johnfconway
    I'm currently returning the second upgrade fan kit from etrailer.
    Both were received with the screen beat up from all the parts loosely thrown in the box - the first one with zero instructions of manufacturer's user guide - both with greasy finger prints on the trim ring, and scratched up.
    But with all that said, they are out of stock until September according to the customer service rep i just spoke to.
    Good luck if you try to get one. Etrailer has been a reliable vendor for me in the past, so I don't know what's up with this product. Seems almost black-market from the lack of support from Dometic (call them and they deny this upgrade exists), and the slip-shod products I've received for approx $230.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    edited July 2020
    ChrisFix said:
    @sptucker @johnfconway
    I'm currently returning the second upgrade fan kit from etrailer.
    Both were received with the screen beat up from all the parts loosely thrown in the box - the first one with zero instructions of manufacturer's user guide - both with greasy finger prints on the trim ring, and scratched up.
    But with all that said, they are out of stock until September according to the customer service rep i just spoke to.
    Good luck if you try to get one. Etrailer has been a reliable vendor for me in the past, so I don't know what's up with this product. Seems almost black-market from the lack of support from Dometic (call them and they deny this upgrade exists), and the slip-shod products I've received for approx $230.

It does give you pause. A fair few seem to have gotten a decent kit and fought through installation of fv807357 in spite of questionable directions (which are for 7350). Has anyone cut the corners off of a 7350 kit and successfully installed it in a late model T@B 400?
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    sptuckersptucker Member Posts: 42
    This is definitely not encouraging news.  I kinda wanted to have this upgrade finished before camping season is over.  Alas.  
    I actually had a square corner 7350 kit in hand and sent it back -- now I am wondering if I should have just cut it to fit...

2021 T@B 320S Boondock  |  2019 BMW X3 M40i
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    I cut my upgrade to fit and other than that modification it has been great for over a year.  Very pleased. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    sounds like you got a return kit both times, mine came well packed, all parts clean, with no issues.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    DenisP said:
    I cut my upgrade to fit and other than that modification it has been great for over a year.  Very pleased. 
    Looks like I will be once again "cutting corners"! I wondered about that possibility looking at product photos. Refrained since "once you cut it, you own it". Placed order this morning. Have to say that etrailer.com tries hard to avoid cancellations. You have to phone in, but then they do process the refund. Thanks @DenisP for responding!

• Options
    Spent a lot of time this morning installing the kit. Have to agree with other posts that the installation directions are lacking and photos are pretty much worthless -- even with double reading glasses! In the end, the unit is not working. Tried two sets of new batteries in remote. As with @ChrisFix the screen was torn slightly, but all of the parts were in original packaging.
    Will reverse the installation tomorrow to see if there was yet another thing in the directions not mentioned. Even though kit was purchased through Amazon, the vendor is not covered under Amazon's simple return process. Hoping I made a simple mistake or blew a crimp somewhere!
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    One of the important things is the Jumper on the circuit board must be put in the proper location depending on which style fan motor you have. I think the instructions point this out pretty clear.

Tall and skinny = brush type
    Short and pudgy = brushless

I have installed my it in my previous 320 and in my current 400 and had to move the jumper due to the different fan types. Not sure if that would prevent operation but it certainly would prevent "proper operation".

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    Went by the photo and it looked like the "pan-style" motor vs. "canister". Took the jumper off. Kind of makes you question your logic as to what you're seeing!
  • Options
    rioosoriooso Member Posts: 27
    If you power on the unit and you have the wrong jumper configuration it will not work even if you change the jumper. You have to take the power off the board and then reapply power to get it to work. The computer on the board has to reconfigure itself during a reboot.
  • Options
    Break circuit between trials by removing fuse?
  • Options
    rioosoriooso Member Posts: 27
    Break circuit between trials by removing fuse?

However it is done. Your could switch off power to the entire trailer. Me personally I did not install the fan till I made sure it worked. I hung it off the ceiling with a string and only made temp connections. Did freak me out at first.

• Options
    carehcareh Member Posts: 8
    Would anyone have a copy of the installation instructions - which are a 2 page color document?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Hopefully the PDF will attach...
    Video is decent. Could be edited down to 5 minutes!
  • Options
    Thank you for the pdf - much appreciated...
  • Options
    One "don't do what I did". While connecting wires on new unit and installing rain sensor, a wire or string holding the shroud (frame) up so there is no weight pressure on wires is helpful. There are holes in shroud to poke a wire through and the bottom of the lifter arm is a good attachment point.
  • Options
    The installation documentation described a 'jumper' that is required to be in place to connect 2 pins on the circuit board if one has the tall black canister style fan motor and not the pancake style motor.  I did not see this jumper on the circuit board nor in any of the enclosed packages of screws etc.  Was your jumper installed on the circuit board -or- loose -or- not present at all?  I needed the jumper - as I have the tall black canister style fan motor - so I ended up soldering the 2 pins together.
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    edited August 2020
    @careh
    The two units that I've received from etrailer both had the jumper installed on the circuit board. It is very small, in case you're not familiar with them...about 3/16" black plastic square.
    EDIT: Having re-read your post...since you soldered the pins, I'm guessing you know what a jumper looks like!!
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Jumper probably is there/not there kit by kit. Mine had the jumper already on pins, which in my case needed to come off.  Unfortunately installation did not work. Suspect problematic circuit board. Have another kit coming. Do most test the fan and arm-raiser motor before finishing the installation?
    I noticed there is a knock-out for the lock/unlock manual knob. Nothing in the instructions addresses this. Has anyone not reconnected this? Any ramifications?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    No, do not reconnect the lock, it is not used on the upgrade, as the motor keeps the lid closed.
    cheers
  • Options
    ChrisFix said:
    @careh
    The two units that I've received from etrailer both had the jumper installed on the circuit board. It is very small, in case you're not familiar with them...about 3/16" black plastic square.
    EDIT: Having re-read your post...since you soldered the pins, I'm guessing you know what a jumper looks like!!

I used a multimeter to test the 2 pins for the jumper as the pins had a bit of black plastic at their base...which I thought could be the jumper. There was no continuity - so - no  jumper.  After I soldered the pins I got continuity. 

The kit I received also did not have the remote control in it -nor the color sheet with the installation instructions (which member johnfconway supplied ...many thanks for that).  The box also had evidence of having been opened then re-sealed (multiple short lengths of tape closing it up) ... so - before I do my review of the vendor -I wanted to verify if the jumper was also missing.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Sounds like it was missing.  You can buy the remote separately, and try to charge back the vendor for the cost.
    Cheers
  • Options
    I notice my fan sometimes fluctuates in speed - when running in auto - on an infrequent basis.  It will speed up momentarily then slow down -speed up / slow down ... then it runs constant for a while ... until that cycle repeats again.
  • Options
    Denny16 said:
    Sounds like it was missing.  You can buy the remote separately, and try to charge back the vendor for the cost.
    Cheers

I already got the vendor to send out a remote - that was when I also noticed the 2 page color installation instructions were missing - and then when I went to install the fan - noticed the jumper was also missing.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    careh said:
    I already got the vendor to send out a remote - that was when I also noticed the 2 page color installation instructions were missing - and then when I went to install the fan - noticed the jumper was also missing.
    @Careh did the installation go well or are you holding off 'til remote arrives?
    I think Dometic had not manufactured kits for awhile. There was a mixed inventory of truly new and returned kits among retailers. Once they realized how short supply was, they raised prices. There's one currently available for $853! I think I'll wait until the newly manufactured kits come online at the end of August at the former high price!

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I installed mine - and it is working.  Thank goodness for the youtube video I linked to in a prior post - and the instruction sheet that was posted here.  It helps to have a second person holding the unit up while you make the wiring connections or stuff the wires up inside the enclosure...

A couple of issues I see - are the fluctuating fan speed in 'auto' mode - and when I first turn it on - it intermediately goes into 'manual' mode at 100% speed - every time - even though I had previously used it in 'auto' mode....or even if I used it in manual at 50% speed.
  • Options
    Anyone else experiencing the fluctuating speed on 'auto'?  This is where the fan is set to auto mode - the fan runs at one speed for a while - then every so often (I still have not tracked the exact interval) it speeds up for a few minutes - then slows down - then speeds up - then slows down...
  • Options
    XenanMeXenanMe Member Posts: 74
    I don’t have the speed fluctuation issue you are seeing.  Or at least I haven’t noticed it.  I do have the 100% manual mode issue you mentioned previously.  Every time I turn the fan on it immediately starts at 100% and I have to rapidly press the remote to turn it down.
  • Options
    In auto mode the fan runs and changes speeds based on the ambient air temp at the sensor.
    Cheers
  • Options
    Got the second attempt 7350 upgrade fan installation in. Along the way (with failed installation) the 7.5A fuse had blown. Quite a relief when the fan started whirring when fuse replaced. Unfortunately this fan only wants to blow air out. All else works fine. If I hit the "In/Out" button fan will stop, but not reverse itself. For SW NM it's not a particularly windy day, but there is enough to gently spin fan blades.
    Anyone else experience this?
    Is wind affecting fan a factor on in-blowing mode?
    Or... Is it likely the circuit board?
    We have Vornado 5303DC Energy Smart Small Air Circulator Fan with Variable Speed Control that runs off the inverter (which itself converts 120V back to 12V). We can aim its air. Its power needs are tiny. Rather than going through a third installation (my shoulders ache just typing about it), should I throw in the towel and use the 7350 for out-blowing exhaust air and Vornado for people cooling?