Options

What surface do you store your trailer on in the wintertime?

lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
Hello all---didn't exactly know what category to put this in, didn't see a winter storage section, so. . . . Does anyone here store their trailer on a crusher rock surface?  Does that surface get hard like concrete?  Does it get divits with rain or snowmelt?  Is it fairly easy to move the trailer onto?  Right now will have it parked next to my garage on grass, but with the tires  & tongue on some paving stones.  It is not terribly hard to get it back there, but would love a better permanent surface that is easier to move it around.

I'm looking to hopefully make a more permanent winter spot at my house, so I can save on storage fees, but the budget  definitely cannot afford concrete.  I will be picking up my new to me, almost like new--  2017 Tab 320S this weekend!!

Any other ideas?
2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
Woohoo!

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    edited March 2019
    I do basically what you have been doing--park on the lawn with the wheels on wide boards. It's a well-drained area so the ground stays pretty firm even in the spring. I also deploy the stabilizers onto blocks.
    Depending on the size of the aggregate, crushed rock could be a bit like driving on marbles. Stone dust (which may be what you are referring to) is finer and might be a better choice, but whatever you put down is only going to be as good as the base underneath it.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/5392/advice-for-parking-pad-construction

I think there was another discussion with pictures somewhere.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ArwenArwen Member Posts: 68
    edited March 2019
    We bought our T@B last Summer, which was our first camper.  Last Fall I was worried about wintering the T@B, as we get a LOT of snow up here (10 more inches of heavy snow fell today!). What we ended up doing is adding a shed/carport addition fo our garage, with a very simple pole frame and a metal roof (to shed snow).  We just used 3 inch stones as a base and will add a layer of finer gravel this Spring (after things have compacted). The shed, like everything else here, is built on ledge, so there is only about a foot or so of fill.  I parked the camper with the wheels on 2x10 blocks.
    Arwen: Northern NH; 2018 T@B 320S Boondock, silver/blue; TV: blue 2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    edited March 2019
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    spkbeamspkbeam Member Posts: 15
    We park our 320 on what I believe is called crushed stone with dust. We had to get our pad rebuilt and the contractor recommended that. It packs down hard. Moving the trailer even by hand it fairly easy.We live in the northwest  mountains of NC and get a lot of snow and rain. It does divot some but do big deal.The original pad had on top what I believe was called clean rock. It moved around, hard to move trailer by hand. Our feet was cleaner. I guess final thought is our road is a gravel and our pad is gravel. Our pad is better than the city's rd.
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I made our pad with 5/8 minus crushed rock, compacted by hand, then by car.  It has held up fine through 3 PNW winters with lots of rain and is very firm.  It's about 4 -6 inches depth over all.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    I made a parking pad of 12” x 12” cement pavers. I didn’t want standing water under the trailer so it was easier to pitch the pavers. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI