Options

Diamond Plate tub mounted correctly?

Does anyone else who has a T@B 400 Boondock have their diamond plate tub mounted about 4 inches from the trailer’s wall?  The tub has a rubber seal that follows the curve of the wall, but it’s mounted so far from the wall that it serves no purpose.  I don’t know that the tub could have been mounted further back due to the spare tire drop lug, but it seems a bit misplaced, or at least a design opportunity..  Also, the LP tank to regulator hose is pulled so tight I’m worried the edge of the diamond plate might be sawing through it as the trailer jostles.  Anyway, just wondering if my 400 Boondock might be needing some adjustment. 
Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.

Comments

• Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    Isn't the tub installed by the selling dealer?
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    If I base this on a T@G boundock, the rubber is not ment for a seal, but for protection and finish.  Those tub are only cover and protection for battery and propane and what ever else you want to store inside.  But it is not water tight or dust proof.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    edited March 2019
    I have a 320 with the plastic tub. I agree that the rubber seal is not really a seal at all, but it does close the gap between the tub and the trailer a bit. That said, 4" seems like a pretty big separation. Hopefully someone with a 400 can confirm if this is normal or not on that particular model.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
    @ScottG Thank you.  Yes, the “seal” is not really intended for that purpose I am sure, but it looks to me like it should cover just a  small gap between the tank cover and the wall of the trailer, more as a cosmetic “gap coverage” intent than any kind of true seal.   I know the dealers install these tanks covers, so I’m just wondering if they may have done mine incorrectly.  A picture will help better define my question/concern to other 400 Boondock owners, so I will add that his evening once I can get back home to take it.  

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    I looked at some pictures online and it seems the tub should be snugged closer.  The tight LPG should have some play.  Our CSS tub was mounted further from the front wall to accommodate a larger battery, but I see no reason for the 400 to be mounted like that.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    Here's a couple photos from when I installed my sewer hose carrier--both from outside and inside the tub. You can get a little perspective of how big the gap is in the 320.

2015 T@B S

• Options
    Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    @ScottG
    Not sure how they could have mounted it that far away as the tubs have predrilled holes.   Here are two pictures from our 400BDL showing the tub should be mounted just touching the front of the T@B.    We have plenty of distance from the top of the tub for the propane hose but wish it was about 2" longer to take away some of the strain on the connection.

F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
  • Options
    @Awca12a. Perfect pictures, thank you!  Unfortunately I think it confirmed my fears that it was mounted incorrectly. I’ll still update with my photos tonight once I can take them.  But, for example, the tub ends before it gets to the spare tire lug.  Yours (zoomed pic attached) shows it going behind the lug, and I drew a red line showing roughly where mine ends   I’m definitely going to take a closer look when I get home.  Thanks again.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The lid of my tub is 2 1/2” (measure diamond plate only, not the edges of the hinges under the edge of the top)  from the trim molding above the diamond plate on the T@B 400 Boondocking Lite. The rubber trim on the sides is 1 1/8” from the diamond plate on the T@B. Since Austin, the Maintenance Manager at the factory installed the diamond plate tub, I can honestly say he would have installed it per the factory specs. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    grubbstergrubbster Member Posts: 114
    Here is a picture of mine.  Lotta space in there.
    2023 F-150 Powerboost hybrid
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    Take a look at Travels with Delaney's video...go to 3:43 in the video and you can see the diamond plate tub they installed on their T@B 400...looks like the photo above in terms of spacing from the back of the tub to the front of the camper.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7ad-8qXKkA
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Yeah, it looks like I’ve got a shorter “wing” with a steeper curve on mine.  The gap at the bottom is nearly 8 inches straight back to the wall at level, and based on where it starts at the top of the box, the wing appears to be about an inch or so further from the wall.  Notice how mine ends before it gets to the spare tire crank lug?  However, I would bet the tub portion itself is in the correct spot.  In other words, my tub starts at the front on the frame where everyone else’s does.  I think it’s just the curved sidewall is a different cut.   Maybe I could use the space to mount another “tube” sewer holder like some have moded onto the 320s, and remove the installed one leaving me with more under the bed storage?  Come to think of it, could this be a 320 Boondock tub?  Anyway, not sure if I feel cheated or not yet. I’ll have to think on it.  Everything is still functional.  Thanks for all the photos and advice.

• Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2V900dCmv0U
    The above is another video tour and at the end you see the tub in front of the spare tire crank also.  The one that goes over the crank looks like it has been cut out with a notch?
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    ADRawli said:
    Come to think of it, could this be a 320 Boondock tub?  

I wonder if that isn't the issue. I re-watched the Travels with Delaney video, and you can see inside the tub when he opens the lid, and it clearly goes over the spare tire cross brace - and appears to be notched to accomplish this. Your tub clearly isn't the same design - so the only question is whether the design has been changed, or did you get the wrong part?
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Mystery deepens.  Just noticed this in my LP Box.  “Battery Disconnect”.... ???   Has the 400, 2017 to present,  ever had the battery disconnect in the LP tub?  

• Options
    No, the T@B 400 battery and disconnect have always been in the rear underbed storage area.
    But the 320's battery lives in the tongue box...so more evidence of the wrong part?
  • Options
    Looks like you have the wrong tub.
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM  Yup!  My conclusion too.  My dealer is 600 miles and 2 states away, so now I’ll have to look for other options.  
    Question for anyone... if I were to get them to order and drop ship the right one, how hard is the install?  Anyone done it?  Is it just bolted to the frame?  No rivets or welding?  Thx!

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    I recently installed a diamond plate tub to replace a broken plastic tub on a T@B Clamshell and it was just 4 bolts. Super easy. I assume the 400 tub is similar. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    @Marceline Thank you.  Hope it’s truly that easy. 

• Options
    Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    I had to remove mine to install the wire shelf to block the big opening.   It was 4 bolts. 
    F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
  • Options
    Look at it this way, when you do get the new one, it would be the best time to do any tub mods - like installing the wire lattice above.
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM Great idea Sharon!  I’ve been sizing and looking at putting a stretched metal “net” back there and that would sure make it easier to do.  Everyone’s thoughts are appreciated.  I did reach out to my dealer letting them know my tub was an incorrect part.  There is a back story here.  I guess when a previous customer hooked up the trailer for a “test tow”, no one had secured the tub to the frame, and it bounced off as they started forward and was damaged.  I am not clear yet as to whether they got a new part in from NuCamp and installed it, or cannibalized another on the lot thinking it was the correct part.  Either way, the tub is obviously not the 400 Boodock’s.  Before purchase, the dealer told me and had sent pictures of a minor dent/scrape on the diamond plate of the trailer caused by this incident, and did install an entire new diamond plate front, which I inspected before purchase and was thoroughly happy with (no trailer damage underneath either), but I did not think to question the new tub being the proper part or not.  I’m still waiting to hear back from them to see if they can/will get Nucamp to drop ship a replacement. The fun continues. 

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @ADRawli, at least there is a story, er, explaination as to how this happened, and the dealer admits involvement. Hope this all works out for you. Following with interest.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    tonyenglishtonyenglish Member Posts: 2

I really want to replace the composite box on our T@B with an aluminum box with more room (I want to get the H2O hose, sewer hose, small generator, if I can, and a small tool box in it), but haven't found anything I really like. What are others doing?

I know I'll need to drill drain and vent holes and watch tongue weight, but someone out there has already done this, I'm sure.

• Options
    @tonyenglish,  lots of discussions on the forum.  I just did a google search.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/search?Search=New+tongue+box
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @ADRawli you didn't happen to purchase that unit in Bend, OR by chance? They had one on the lot last fall with dealer induced damage on front passenger side where the dealer forgot to bolt the tub onto the frame.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    @N7SHG_Ham No, but that problem sure sounds familiar- exact same story/damage location.  This one was picked up from Picayune Mississippi. I got a killer deal, but maybe I now know part of the reason why. I’ve found no other issues other than the wrong tub. I’m not 100% sure that the tub’s even a true issue, as the tub itself seems to be fine, just not the cosmetic fit I’d like with the correct part. I think at this point it’s more of a “principle” issue...not getting what you thought you’re paid for vs a problematic part.  Unfortunately, I’ve not gotten any response from the salesman to my request for my “options”, who had been great to work with to this point even with post sale questions/concerns. I intend to make a direct appeal to the owner, and see if he’s aware.  Like I said, they were actually great to work with thus far, so before I besmirch a dealership, I should at least give the main guy the chance to respond.

• Options
    I have to laugh... or cry...can’t decide which.  I was just looking back at our dealer’s website and their currently listed nüCamp inventory. First thing I noticed is the trailer we have now owned for more than 3 weeks is still listed for sale.  Second, (and this is the laugh/cry quandary inducing one) is the picture below of one of their other units.  Does anyone who’s followed this discussion thread thus far notice anything suspiciously missing in this picture?  

• Options
    edited April 2019
    So, your diamond plate propane tub maybe came from their TaG!  The only thing is, the tubs are actually packaged and stored inside the trailers during shipment, so, all of them initially look this way.