Options

Generator

2»

Comments

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @klenger I have a whole house ems protection installed at the circuit panel.    I has protected from issues about 3 times over the last 15 years.   Now ask if we would have had damage with out it.  ?????????????

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    @Bayliss Hi Tucson neighbor :)

T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Hi, @klenger.  Seems as though there are a few of us in the Tucson area.  I recently saw your Facebook post on the rear storage area covers.  They look great.  I recently covered mine in a similar fashion, but used 1/8" thick (lightweight) white laminated panel boards and added a rubber grommet for a finger hole (similar to that on the glass lid over the stove) in each board.  My wife wanted those areas covered so she can put the bedding behind the rear seat area.  Tried them out on our most recent trip and they worked great. 
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    Current Dometic Cool Cat heat pump specs indicate 1330 watts in the cooling mode. I don't see why a 2000 watt generator wouldn't handle this. Two possible problems come to mind. First, are there other significant AC power loads and secondly is the 2000 watt generator spec a so called peak value and not a continuous value?
  • Options
    DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    @davel4wa  if it draws 1300 continuous during cooling then indeed it would be able to run from a 2kw generator

Keep in mind though there is an initial surge much higher than the 1300 on "start up" (Every time the compressor engages)  so your generator needs to have a "surge capacity" that can handle the max startup surge for a short time. You're likely still OK with this, but keep in mind that every 1000 feet of elevation you lose a certain amount of power /capacity off the top end due to O2 thinning out. You'll likely be OK but there are some reports of folks with generators that can power their AC OK at sea level but which can't start up the compressor at 5000 ft etc..

I'd feel better with a 2.2K generator with that CoolCat draw.. also if the Cool Cat is "soft start" (I think it may be) the surge is not as big as a .. bog standard window unit you buy at your local big box..

I have to worry not just about altitude but also I use a Duel Fuel and on propane I already lose 20% power/capacity.. but my unit's a T@B 320 and has that tiny 5000 btu unit so not really worried

Just remember not to try and run your Aldi on electric (for hot water) while also trying to run your A/C for cooling.. and/or take care to keep the Aldi on 1k and have the A/C off if you must run on electric for heating/ hot water

TL/DR:  you're probably OK at sea level, probably OK at Altitude but if you find it's not working when at altitude then you will have your "will it handle it" answer ;)
    If you're unsure and still looking: get a 2200 watt generator for a bit more head room and take care to not run anything else off the electric while cooling or heating with electricity from the generator

~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

• Options
    DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    Oh and @davel4wa  Yeah 2000 is peak ... I think a 2000 watt peak should give 1500 to 1800 continuous so that should be OK on that front.
    ~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

• Options
    davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    1500-1800W is a little too close for comfort especially considering possible diminished output due to environmental conditions. 
  • Options
    kaylevine1kaylevine1 Member Posts: 165
    used my generator when at Smokemont campground- Smokey Mountains-worked great-I just left it in the truck bed where it is fastened with a bicycle chain to bed of truck stood on stepstool to put in gas using a funnel that I attached to the generator-worked great-took a few pulls to get it started-ran it about an hour Honda 2200i companion

• Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    used my generator when at Smokemont campground- Smokey Mountains-worked great-I just left it in the truck bed where it is fastened with a bicycle chain to bed of truck stood on stepstool to put in gas using a funnel that I attached to the generator-worked great-took a few pulls to get it started-ran it about an hour Honda 2200i companion

Smokemont is at 2,198 feet elevation.  I’m not sure that’s high enough to challenge the unit or not?