• Options
    ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
    WilliamA said:

"Was that a brake command? Or just Hank Williams on single side band?"

👍🏻😂.  Classic!
    Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
    nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.
  • Options
    BlueespyBlueespy Member Posts: 151
    klenger said:
    When I bought my T@B 320 S in January this year, I opted for the Tekonsha Prodigy RF Wireless Trailer Brake Controller because of the simplicity of the installation and no modifications to my tow vehicle (2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited V6).  For the most part, I have been pleased with the operation of the controller, but have noticed that it seems to immediately "grab" the brakes as soon as slight brake pressure is applied at very slow speeds.  I thought this was odd since there is really no deceleration happening, just application of the brake lights.  My understanding is that the controller is supposed to be "proportional" by use of accelerometers.

I had the
    Yesterday, while towing on the freeway, I was adjusting the temperature controls on my Jeep, and accidentally bumped and turned on the warning flashers, but did not realize it right away.  The trailer immediately started bucking, so I pulled over on the shoulder, finally noticing that the flashers were on.  I turned them off and the bucking immediately stopped.  It appears that because the brake controller does not directly sense application of the brake light switch, it uses the L and R turn signals (also the brake lights on a 7 pin tow wiring harness) to determine application of the brake lights.  When the brake controller sensed the L & R turn signals on at the same time, it interpreted this condition as repetitive application of the brakes and responded accordingly.  I find this situation most unsettling.  I have used brake controllers in vehicles towed behind motor homes for years, and they use the same interface to sense brake application, but require the turn/brake signal to be applied for several cycles before determining that the brake have been applied. 

Due to this issue, and just general poor brake operation, I will be removing the Prodigy RF Wireless Trailer Brake Controller from the T@B and installing a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller in the tow vehicle as a conventional brake controller.  

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has seen this issue, or would be interested in testing the operation of the Tekonsha Prodigy RF Wireless Trailer Brake Controller with the emergency hazard flashers enabled (in a safe environment).  This could be done at slow speeds, even in a parking lot.

I had the Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control installed on our 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk when we purchased our 320 CS-S and had no issues after setup.  We recently upgraded to a 400 boondock and installed another Tekonsha and still no issues.  Now, with the 320 we drove through four states; both flat and mountains without issue.  So far with the 400, we've only driven about 400 miles on relatively flat roads but at times in dense traffic.  We dialed our settings to 1.5 I think and again no issues. 

2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2020 Ford F-150 XLT (V-8)
    Niceville, Florida
  • Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    @Blueespy:  Have you tried it with the emergency flashers on?  That's where this issue was noticed.
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    So, I spoke to a tech at e-trailer and he reported only one recent review regarding the braking during emergency flasher use and steered me to Tekonsha.  The customer service tech at Tekonsha confirmed the emergency flasher/braking as noted in the Prodigy RF brake controller literature.  I asked why does it not occur with every user.  He stated that it is a function of the individual brand tow vehicle’s flasher frequency and more importantly, it is dependent on the duration of the application of the emergency flashers.  So, I will try it again later this week and leave the flashers on for a longer time to see if we can induce braking while towing with our Sienna.  I suppose it is possible that it doesn’t happen with all TVs.

Fellow Sienna user @BrianZ, have you tried this yet?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    edited April 2019
    I don't the duration has to do with how long you leave the flashers on, but how long the flasher ON cycle is compared to the OFF cycle.  The longer ON cycle would look like the application of the tow vehicle brakes to the brake controller.   From my point of view, they should have made it less sensitive to the longer ON cycle. 

I also found another installation issue (which I have resolved) with the P3 controller that I installed in my Jeep Wrangler JL in place of the RF model, but I'll cover that in another post. 
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
    @klenger It will be interesting to hear your new P3 issue.  Thats a solid unit.  I actually bought that one first, but sent it back when I realized there were options available that didn’t require putting holes in the dash of my wife’s brand new Grand Cherokee.  If someone could make a bracket to remain under dash that essentially camouflaged itself when the control unit was removed and  tucked out of site while not towing, that might have even overcome that concern for me, as I agree with most other’s sentiments that hardwire connections are still the most confidence inspiring. Regardless, hope you get your new issue solved and maybe someone will get your RF to behave better when married to a more compatible TV setup.  
    Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
    nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Verna said:
    I truly would recommend contacting the manufacturer.  

I was approaching stopped traffic on an interstate last week and I turned my flashers on to warn those behind to be aware of something going on ahead of them. While my RF model display does flash, the brakes do not “flash” or “pulsate” at the same rate as the 4-ways. 

In fact, every morning before I start out, I perform a full Circle of Safety with my headlamps and 4-ways on so I can test all of the lights, windows, tires, cargo doors, etc., and, yes, the RF display flashes then, too, which is how I discovered the flashing on my first drive.
    I have a T@B 400, and my brakes do not pulsate when the four-way flashers are on. Tow vehicle is a 2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 with tow package.. the excess wiring for the 7 pin cable is tie wrapped and stored on top of the spare tire (thanks Austin at nüCamp). 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited April 2019
    I use my flashers when on a high speed highway, and unable to go the 'expected' speed, ie: slower than 50mph or so. For example, a steep hill, foggy, snowstorm, very slippery, behind a farm vehicle, etc. 

In fog and snow, the flashers definitely stand out more than simple driving lights, making us more visible to vehicles coming up from behind. I've been on both ends of this situation. 

It's simple safety, as far as I'm concerned.

' Flashers are to be used when stopped on the side of the road, "according to section 25251 of the California Vehicle Code. But subsection (a) also notes flashing lights are to be used to warn other motorists of an accident or a hazard on a roadway. A big rig or other slow vehicle traveling up hill would qualify as this type of “hazard,” thus legally justifying the use of four-way flashing hazard lights, so other drivers would be forewarned. Similarly, a motorist forced to drive slower than the flow of traffic — 50 mph, for example on the freeway — because of a mechanical issue also should employ flashing lights. Vehicles in funeral processions also may use flashers."

@Marceline said:

In quite a few states it's ILLEGAL to have your hazards lights on while you're driving down the road.
    You're supposed to use them when you're stopped or when you're in the process in stopping for an obstruction. 
    The only time I use them while towing is:
    1) I've had to pull off the side of the road to check something on the trailer
    2) There's an obstacle directly ahead of me (traffic jam) and I don't want to get rear-ended.

What the heck are people using their hazards for that doesn't involve braking?

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    @Sharon_is_SAM, if this frequency issue applies only to wireless brake controllers, then it wouldn't affect our Sienna, as we have a wired Kurt model.  Haven't read the full thread yet, so not sure about all the details.  Can't say we've ever had to use our emergency flashers while towing, but I could envision circumstances where that might be needed, like driving extra slow on steep hills or in heavy rain with reduced visibility.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    OK. I thought you had the Prodigy RF version.  Thanks!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio