Options

Clips for window shades/screens

Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
Well  we went and broke one of the little gray plastic clips that connects the window shade to the screen in our brand new Tab 400 - - before we even have taken our first trip! Does anyone know where I can order a new one? 

Comments

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    What has worked for me in the past is to call the Parts Department at NuCamp (it may be the famous Elsie or it may be someone else) and ask for the part number.  Then you will have to call a dealer and request a quote.  Don't forget to ask specifically for a shipping quote as well a quote for the part.
    However, it is getting harder and harder to actually speak with a live human at nuCamp.  The telephone menu tells you to leave a message and they will call you back--but they don't.
    I would suggest you call the screen manufacturer but I can't find a manufacturer's name on the screens.  The windows are made by Plastoform in Slovenia but their website has no reference to the screens.
    Maybe someone on the forum knows who makes the screens and has contact info?
  • Options
    SneakleSneakle Member Posts: 131
    I broke a clip right away also after buying our new Tab. I called Nucamp and they sent me a new one. The trick is not to grab the plastic clip for lifting or lowering the shade. If you pull the clip too far toward you it will break.  Grab the lip of the shade/screen to move it and think of the clip only as something to hold the screen and the shade together.
    Tab 320s Boondock
    TV: Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    I have some notes about the blinds and believe they are made by "Horrex":

https://www.horrex.nl/copy-of-about?lang=Eng

I'm guessing that nuCamp will send you a clip at no charge, but it is worth keeping the above link for future reference.

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    You can also send an email to parts@nucamprv.com to ask for the part numbers.  Please give them a day or two to answer. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    Thanks, all! Some very helpful info for this klutzy newbie 😃
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,435
    This is a common issue reported here. 2015s didn't come with clips, and I can assure you we've gotten by with opposable thumbs for the last four years and counting.  ;-)
    Is there some other reason why these infernal clips are so important? I know they flipped the arrangement of the screen and shade at around the same time. Does having the shade on the bottom cause it to drift downward and open a gap without the clip in place?
    If someone can just tell me what the deal is with those things, I promise I'll hush up about 'em!  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I think clips help keep the shade and screen aligned.when raising and lowering, thus reducing problems with the strings. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    @ScottG, as Jenn said, they hold the shade and screen together, so when you want to pull up the shade, you also push up the screen.  I think they get broken when folks want to open their window and you need to separate the shade from the screen.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,435
    Hrmph. I still say fingers do the same thing, and I don't have to futz with them when I want to open or close the window!  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    I sent an E-mail to the manufacturer (Horrex) in the Netherlands to see what they say.  I will post their response if I receive one.  @jkjenn's suggestion is as good as any.

The clip is attached to the lower blackout shade, which is heavier than the fly screen.  Just a guess as to the intended purpose, but in addition to locking the two blinds in place together (so that they "track" together when moved up and down), it might be that the clip helps in preventing the heavier blind from slipping down in the track, particularly when the camper is being towed.
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    @Bayliss, when under tow, it is recommended to keep your shade and screen retracted, probably to prevent the strings and fabric from stretching or something falling into the window area.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thanks @Sharon_is_SAM.  I always leave my screen and shade retracted (fully open) on all the windows when towing just for that reason.  It is too bad that nuCamp and the window blind manufacturer do not stress that suggestion.

• Options
    @ScottG, and others, here is the response from the manufacturer re the specific intent/purpose of the window blind clip:

"It’s indeed to stabilize the system.  If you pull down either blackout or plissé it will keep it together without the possibility to fall down.  The blackout and mesh are tentioned with cords so without the clip it still won’t fall down.  But it just to be sure."

Met vriendelijke groet/Kind regards,

Tarik Huijbers

Internal Sales & Marketing

Horrex Horren B.V.

The Netherlands