Options

Tab320 with AC up high: condensation drain?

I did a quick search of the site for condensation and didn't see this directly answered, but alluded to:

Does the A/C in the Tab 320s with the AC up high (the window unit) .. does it have a condensation drain tube? I was poking in the cabinets looking for a hole to run a wire through and had pulled the A/C frame off to kind of get a nose in.. and it looks like it's just sitting there in the cabinet and I can't see if there's drain tubing.. It strikes me that in humid locations .. if that is not drained properly it could cause a big mess..

I've seen a few posts alluding to how the new location of A/C addresses some issues .. but didn't directly see it said (very likely missed it or didn't search the right terms)
~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357

Here it is.  Located at the front, right area of the A/C cabinet.  The round cut-out is the access hole behind the mirror in the bathroom.  You should be able to see the drain tube (its clear) in the pedestal area with the seat cushion removed.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options

a better photo.

• Options
    DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    @Tabaz , wow, thanks.. a "yeah it has a drain, don't worry" would have sufficed ... thanks for the extra mile!!!

~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

• Options

The photos are form a previous post on how to remove the A/C unit:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/2709/how-to-remove-the-air-conditioner

Glad they could help.

• Options
    @Tabaz .. oh, that article is really going to be useful; thanks!

I noticed that there's a bit of an air gap going on  with the AC and was thinking about maybe adding a bit of extra foam insulation to help with drafts. I noticed the way the cord was run and thought "I'll have to remove the outlet to get it out".. but didn't think that the AC would reach to the seat if I was just pulling it temporarily.

I also was looking to see if running a cable up through the vent to get to the roof...for a weBoost.. or running it out the vent.

Thanks again for the links .. super helpful.
    ~Tananda

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    That drain might be a good things to check once in a while. There have been a few reports of the drain pan overflowing onto a slumbering camper, particularly if the t@B is parked a little nose up.
    As for the drafts, you might want to look into a cover for the external A/C vent. There are various styles, both purchased and homemade. If you search around here you should find several discussions on the topic. If you plan to actually use the A/C, I'd be careful adding any insulation around it as that may impede its function.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    ScottG said:
    That drain might be a good things to check once in a while. There have been a few reports of the drain pan overflowing onto a slumbering camper, particularly if the t@B is parked a little nose up.

As a matter of practice, I will level the nose of the trailer, then drop it 1 degree....
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    @ScottG and @4ncar  THANKS those are great bits of advice!

Knowing the position of the drain and such .. indeed it suggests to me that a teensy bit nose down would be good when running the AC

As for drafts/external.. I was thinking about getting or creating a cover to put on it when traveling.. I've heard several folks mention that it can lead to dust ingress.

I was just thinking that if I were to add a bit of weather stripping around the wood frame that holds it in.. I could get a much better seal.

~Tananda

• Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    Here's the AC cover you would invent if have a lot of time and are skilled at metal fabrication.  I have the time but not the skills, so I just bought one.  Terrific very well made product at a fairly high price.  Still worth it.

https://www.enhancedperformancesystems.com/product-page/t-b-320-a-c-vent-door
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    We removed the A/C frame and insulated with foam weather stripping.  It made a big difference.  The vinyl A/C cover sold by nuCamp helps keep out the wind, but you can’t leave that on during travel.  There are some inexpensive DIY clear ?acrylic covers that are held on with bolts.  They are solid and look nice.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Regarding running a weboost wire up through the A/C vent on the roof - there is a fairly thick bug screen just above the computer fan in the pipe going through the roof.  Cutting into that would not be a good idea.
  • Options
    Tabaz said:
    Regarding running a weboost wire up through the A/C vent on the roof - there is a fairly thick bug screen just above the computer fan in the pipe going through the roof.  Cutting into that would not be a good idea.
    Yeah, as I explored, I saw that too.. it looks like a nice PVC Pipe with a pretty solid mesh glued on top under that vent cap thing.. I had thought maybe I could work around it, but the more I think about it, the more I think you are right.

For now, I'm likely going to mount the antenna on a pole I can strap to the entry handle or to the metal platform on the front.. set it up and break it down as I go till I really figure it out, or give up and pay my RV dealer to install it.

I'm generally pretty handy, but I tend to avoid putting holes in walls/roofs.. if I can find an egress that is already present.. ok fine.

I might actually consider taking over the spot for the cable hookup as I can't imagine ever bothering to hook up to Cable TV (I've "Cut my cable" at home a few years ago and do everything I want via streaming)

~Tananda

• Options
    HarwoodmaryHarwoodmary Member Posts: 18
    edited March 2021
    I am trying to locate/identify the AC drain line that exits /drains out which is underneath the Tab trailer body. Thots? Also, advice on best way to close it off so insects/debris don’t enter from underneath? (Successfully removed AC from trailer- building a cabinet in place). Thanks!
  • Options
    It's a clear 1/2" tube, all by itself, just in front of the driver side tire.
  • Options
    Just inside the frame.