Options

Adding Fresh Water with a Drill Pump

BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
Last fall we got a 6-gal water jug and a drill pump in preparation for our first camping trip without hookups.  However, because there were showers available, we got through 5 days on a full tank of water, so never needed to add more.

On our second "no hookups" trip last week, there weren't any showers, and so we used our water jug & drill pump to add more water.  It was a bit of a pain to try to use the pump by trying to hold the pump in one hand to prevent it from spinning when powering it with the cordless drill in the other hand.  I realize it has slots for mounting with screws or bolts, but figured I could just hold it, though it was a bit of a pain.  

So, today I bolted the drill pump onto a small board, which I tested by placing it inside the T@B's handle, which makes it easier to use..

Now, I can operate the drill pump with one hand without having to grip the pump itself, while the T@B's handle prevents the board-mounted pump from spinning.  This frees up my other hand to direct the end of the 3-ft hose into the fresh water port.  The other 3-ft hose hanging down goes into the water jug to draw up the water.

So, I'm wondering how others use this type of pump?  I know it can be mounted on a larger board, which would also prevent the drill itself from spinning, but I wanted to keep things compact. 

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 

Comments

• Options
    JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    I haven’t tried a drill pump because I haven’t found one yet that was safe for potable water.  This sorta looks like one I looked into previously and the manufacturer recommended against using it to transfer fresh water because it contains grease.  Is this one rated safe?  If so, who makes it?
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Good point, @JEB, and I can offer a couple of responses..

First, we typically keep separate bottled water for drinking purposes, though I use it from the faucet to rinse when brushing teeth.
    Second, the manufacturer recommends using silicone grease, and there is certified food-grade silicone grease available for this purpose.
    Third, I don't see how this is any different from the silicone plumber's grease used in home faucets to lubricate O-rings & other valve parts.

Pilots HQ Dow Corning Molykote 111 Oring/Valve Lubricant/Sealant, 1/2oz (Repackaged for Smaller Applications), Water Resistant Lubricant, Food Grade Lubricant, Dow 111 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X7JXM4C
    OR this..
    Dow Corning 111 O-Ring Silicone Lubricant (5.3 oz. Tube) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CTUJNU2

Here's our pump..
    Milescraft 1314 DrillPump750 - Self Priming Transfer Pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F1ZJG5E

PS:  And thanks for the reminder, as they do recommend lubricating the pump seals after use.

• Options
    Got it. I’d probably add DuPont Krytox GPL-105 or 205 to your list. It is used in food applications as well.  My only concern is that this is indeed the same pump I looked at and even the manufacturer was reluctant to recommend it for potable water.  It might not use food-grade grease during manufacture. But you make a good argument. 
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I usually use the drill pump to drain the water tank for winterizing. Never thought about filling it.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Well, if you've got a full 6G jug at close to 50lbs, it gets pretty heavy & awkward trying to hold it so that it can slowly pour into the fresh water port without getting your feet wet, so I found the pump very handy for that.

• Options
    BrianZ said:
    Well, if you've got a full 6G jug at close to 50lbs, it gets pretty heavy & awkward trying to hold it so that it can slowly pour into the fresh water port without getting your feet wet, so I found the pump very handy for that.

No question.  I was looking at a pump myself and I was exploring multiple options, including the one you went with, when I stumbled across a portable kit for washing cars that uses a 12V pump similar to, but smaller than, the ShureFlo used in the T@B.  From what I can tell, it is safe for potable applications.   https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077NXT1X8/?coliid=I3KPAS0LMUM8HA&colid=1IEQX4I6QE2Q8&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it. Haven’t pulled the trigger yet but am seriously considering it for precisely the reasons you mentioned. 
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Because we have the Outback platform, we place our 6 gallon jug there and use this simple battery operated pump to fill the fw tank. Takes 2? minutes. https://www.google.com/search?q=sierra+tools+battery-operated+liquid+transfer+pump+model%23+jb5684&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Well, this is interesting - looking back over the Amazon listing for my pump, there are a number of reviewers stating they use it for the exact same purpose for their travel trailer.  Then I came across this image of the packaging with notice to California residents about cancer & reproductive harm..

https://www.amazon.com/hz/reviews-render/mobile-media-feed/B00F1ZJG5E/ref=cm_cr_dp_mb_crsl_img_6?ie=UTF8&physicalId=61sJKkOSahL&imageExtension=jpg&reviewId=RAN5C0248DVET

Wondering what it refers to & how reliable it is, as when I looked up the listed patent number it yielded a piece of exercise equipment.  Maybe a Chinese patent?

While having second thoughts about my use of this pump, your last idea about the Shurflo model, @JEB, gave me a brainstorm..
    Why not just use the existing pump?  Connect the input hose to the output side, and connect another short hose from water container to input side of pump.  This might also require a male to female extension hose to reach the output side.  I already have two right angle half inch Shurflo fittings with pieces of hose for winterizing the pump, so could just add a Male fitting to one of those.

Would work for me if I wanted to go that route.  But you'd have to release the pressure in the system before detaching the output hose from the pump.  Would save the drill battery power though.  Not even sure if our tiny inverter can handle the drill's battery charger - haven't ever been gone long enough to even start using the spare drill battery.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,422
    Just about everything carries that California warning about cancer and reproductive harm...
    Personally I think the external pump is a great idea (though I can't vouch for its safety for use with potable water). However, I think I'd rather just heft a six gallon jug (or maybe two three gallon jugs) and get my feet a little wet before I'd want to go through the trouble of de-priming and unhooking the pump every time I needed to add water. YMMV!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    BrianZ said:
    Well, this is interesting - looking back over the Amazon listing for my pump, there are a number of reviewers stating they use it for the exact same purpose for their travel trailer.  Then I came across this image of the packaging with notice to California residents about cancer & reproductive harm..

https://www.amazon.com/hz/reviews-render/mobile-media-feed/B00F1ZJG5E/ref=cm_cr_dp_mb_crsl_img_6?ie=UTF8&physicalId=61sJKkOSahL&imageExtension=jpg&reviewId=RAN5C0248DVET

Wondering what it refers to & how reliable it is, as when I looked up the listed patent number it yielded a piece of exercise equipment.  Maybe a Chinese patent?

While having second thoughts about my use of this pump, your last idea about the Shurflo model, @JEB, gave me a brainstorm..
    Why not just use the existing pump?  Connect the input hose to the output side, and connect another short hose from water container to input side of pump.  This might also require a male to female extension hose to reach the output side.  I already have two right angle half inch Shurflo fittings with pieces of hose for winterizing the pump, so could just add a Male fitting to one of those.

Would work for me if I wanted to go that route.  But you'd have to release the pressure in the system before detaching the output hose from the pump.  Would save the drill battery power though.  Not even sure if our tiny inverter can handle the drill's battery charger - haven't ever been gone long enough to even start using the spare drill battery.
    With regard to the drill pump you are using, I ignored the Amazon reviews and looked at the Q&A section before the reviews. There was one that related to use for drinking water that the seller answered in the negative.

As for the ShureFlo, what you are proposing it probably possible but I’m not sure it would be worth the trouble every time you wanted to fill the fresh tank. Certainly not on my 400, because I’d have to unload the closet and then go through the trouble of swapping hoses.  On top of that, I’d have to drag the jug into the trailer, which has all kinds of potential for disaster.  I think I’m going to go the portable pump route and keep all the wet work outside. 
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I still schlep the 6 gallon jerry can, and risk wet feet...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    It probably would not be that tough to simply wire and mount a pump in the propane cover area or find a portable one.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Yeah, not sure it would be worth depriming/repriming the pump each time, however, for us it's a rare event anyway (once in 1.5 yrs).  Guess I'll keep that idea for the emergency backup plan in case of drill, drill battery, or drill-pump failure.

• Options
    Has anyone tried just setting a 6-gal jug of water on top of the tub, then running a siphon hose to the fresh water port?  It looks to me like the port may be lower than the tub, so that could work too if you're not in a hurry. That filler port doesn't like a fast stream anyway.
  • Options
    BrianZ said:
    Has anyone tried just setting a 6-gal jug of water on top of the tub, then running a siphon hose to the fresh water port?  It looks to me like the port may be lower than the tub, so that could work too if you're not in a hurry. That filler port doesn't like a fast stream anyway.
    I have seen other here do it, yes... would be as simple as attaching(via hose clamp) a hose to your jerry can nozzle and let it pour! No siphon, just gravity being your friend!🧐
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    edited May 2019
    BrianZ said:
    I have an older CS-S so my water tank is at the back but...

PS. I have shortened the tubing since taking this photo.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @BrianZ, I bought a 5’ piece of 1/2” clear tubing from Lowe’s a few years ago and I used it with a 5 gallon Reliance jug to fill the water tank. I put a plastic folding stool on the tub, the water jug on top of it, put the hose through the front handle and let gravity be my friend. It worked wonderfully. (Except 5 gallons is a lot to lift for me, so I went with 4-gallon jugs the next year.)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @BrianZ, we purchased the Super Easy Siphon hose from Amazon.  We have the plastic tub.  We disperse the weight of our 2.5 to 6 gallon water jugs by using our little collapsible table on top of the tub.  Easy.  Gravity works.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    @BrianZ, we purchased the Super Easy Siphon hose from Amazon.  We have the plastic tub.  We disperse the weight of our 2.5 to 6 gallon water jugs by using our little collapsible table on top of the tub.  Easy.  Gravity works.

I like this solution because it looks like it coils up into a more compact package than the siphon that I bought.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Works every time!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    I have one of the plastic 2 gallon water bags.  On my Outback rack, I've mounted two aluminum boxes on each side of the propane tank.  When I set the bag on the boxes, the spout is about an inch or so above the water inlet.  I found two feet of clear plastic tubing, attached it to the water bag's spout, and put the other end of the tubing into the water inlet.  Open the spout, come back a few minutes later and the water is transferred.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    I too highly recommend the Super Easy Siphon hose.  Very lightweight and easy to use.  Surprisingly good flow rate.  Several YouTube videos on it.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Actually, I picked up a 2 gallon water jug last year (Rotopax) and will pick up another one or two. Much easier and the Rotopax are pretty bombproof.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited June 2019
    I have some hose, so now I'm now looking at maybe making one of those easy siphon valves.

Update:
    Here it is...
    http://tabforum.nucamprv.com/#/discussion/8960/how-to-make-a-shaker-siphon-for-adding-fresh-water
  • Options
    GibWGibW Member Posts: 95
    I use a 3 gallon jug. Easy to handle. 
    2017 T@B Max-S, silver & silver, towed by a Titanium Silver 2018 Kia Sorento AWD V-6, Twin Cities MN
  • Options
      Gravity works.

BITD when I was a technical climber, we had a saying: “There’s no such thing as gravity, the earth sucks!” Kinda fitting in this application too! Lol
    2018 320S Outback