Which Black/Gray water drain hose do you recommend?

As I research the various sewer drain hoses I am impressed with the fact that customer reviews on ALL of the available products cite leakage as a common problem.

Whether I look at reviews for Camco, Valterra, or Lippert, I commonly find statements like "it's worthless", "it leaks", "DO NOT BUY!"

Have any of you found that one product is reliably superior to all others?
Does leakage always develop eventually and how might one attempt to prolong the life of a drain hose?

Comments

• BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @coylizard, although I originally considered purchasing the Valterra Dominator hose, I decided to go with the Camco Rhinoflex and am very happy with it.  I believe that either hose will serve you well.

In looking at the reviews for both on Amazon (for example), consider the date of the review.  Many are old posts and pre-date improvements made to the hoses and their drain pipe connectors.  The same reviews you have been reading almost swayed me away from the Rhinoflex, but I figured out that they were referring to an older version that had a problem with leakage.  Mine works really well and does not leak.  Also, although there are numerous (older) reviews that say the Rhinoflex will not fit the Valterra storage tube, and that people had to shave off a portion of the Rhinoflex fittings to get it to fit, that is no longer true.  Since it has been redesigned, the Rhinoflex now fits that tube nicely.  See the following discussion:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/110818#Comment_110818

Beyond outdated reviews, I suspect that some of the claims that a certain product is "junk" is a result of user error and failure to read instructions before using the product.  This applies to many reviews, not just sewer hoses.  
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Brad42Brad42 Member Posts: 25
    edited May 2019
    This is our first year with our 320s, and since the Indiana state parks are mostly electric only (no full hook-ups), and we’re weekend warriors, we’ve found the one included when we bought our tab just fine for weekend trips. I’m sure it’s probably the cheapest there is, but so far it’s been fine. We haven’t seen a reason to upgrade to anything else.
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Rhinoflex here as well, based on recs from this forum. Definitely an improvement qualitywise over the ones I used with previous RVs twenty years ago, feels solidly made.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • SueBCSueBC Member Posts: 70
    edited May 2019
    Camco Rhinoflex for me. The one that came with my trailer was quite frankly "junk". The Camco Rhinoflex is pretty sturdy and I feel will last years. I also use the Valterra storage tube - and the Rhinoflex fits perfectly
    SueBC
    British Columbia, Canada
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,484
    Rhinoflex.  Just be careful to not drag it on the pavement.  Any thin plastic will acquire a hole if you manage to abuse it enough.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Rino-Flex also, IMO sewer hoses are a wear item and inexpensive enough, at first sign of a leak I will replace with a new one. Depending on usage I suspect could be 1-3 year cycle.

The biggest issue I have encountered is it is almost impossible to thread the adapter into the sewer connection in most camp grounds, either recessed too much or threads full of crud. Most conveniently provide a rock, LOL as the fix for keeping hose in place during dumping.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    Consumable is right,   if it starts to get funny and shows signs of wear I will simply replace it.   $30 isn't worth worrying about.  same for the water hose and electrical connections.   

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Wait...  you can reuse a sewer hose?

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max