Has anyone ever had one of these detect a problem: PROGRESSIVE INDUSTRIES HW30C 30 Amp Hardwired

Has anyone ever had one of these detect a problem: PROGRESSIVE INDUSTRIES HW30C 30 Amp Hardwired
Mickey & Terri
2016 Max S
Kalamazoo Michigan

Comments

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Mine has detected over voltage, not sure though if voltage was actually high? I think the limit is set by factory around 130. It auto reset and I didn't get a meter out to check.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    Mine reads about 130 or 131 when used with my Honda EU2200i generator.  I've checked it with a good meter and found the display to be very accurate.  I need to get my generator checked.  I was camping at the Grand Canyon with a different RV with 50 amp service and had the PI EMS installed in it also.  The CG power was very unstable and had over-voltage and under-voltage problems (unbalanced 240 VAC power) when it was hot in the afternoon and lots of AC units running.  The EMS did its job and I think we ended up disconnecting CG power during peak times, which means we couldn't run the AC.
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    edited June 2019

mandt said:

Yes,
    Several times for low voltage - even in apparently well equipped modern facilities   Often seems related to the hot afternoon AC use throughout the CGs
    Bad ground a couple times.
    It also revealed an incorrectly wired extension cord I tried to use for connection to a home outlet.

Operation at low voltage can be very damaging to AC compressors.  The PI EMS provides peace of mind with so many unknowns while routinely connecting to different power sources.

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Yup, reversed polarity and low voltage. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    Yup. Under voltage. 
    F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
  • dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 583
    Mine is not hard wired, but it found reverse polarity at the pedestal at a state park. I had to use the 20 amp plug instead (with adapter of course).
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    If you are at a site that not only has 30 and 20A, but also 50A, I've found that a step-down adaptor 50-30A (it's missing a blade) works better if I need to run AC.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • ecstaticecstatic Member Posts: 65
    Ratkity said:
    If you are at a site that not only has 30 and 20A, but also 50A, I've found that a step-down adaptor 50-30A (it's missing a blade) works better if I need to run AC.
    When you do this does it mean you can no longer use the Progressive Industries monitor?
    2020 T@B 400 BDL    2019 Silverado 5.3L V8
    Chili, NY
  • falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    According to PI, the 30 amp EMS will work (with the appropriate adapter) just fine on a 50 amp outlet.
  • TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited June 2019
    Never at a campground yet...  At home however, we have plugged into the house on occassion, and once experienced a hotskin episode.  I'd never had the EMS connected there before.  So, I plugged it in and then the camper to it.  It gave me a no ground ready and didn't allow juice to the camper.  Thus, an electrician was called for a rewire...  

Of course my unit is not hard wired but an outside unit.
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    Ours is not hard wired, but Labor Day Weekend, 2018 we detected a reversed polarity issue. When notifying the campground management, we were told reversed polarity was impossible. Nevertheless, we plugged in to another pedestal, and had a good weekend anyway. Would never be without an EMS.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Yes, I have an error E1 right now.....I can’t get to my manual easily....what does the E1 error code indicate, please?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    edited June 2019
    Verna said:
    Yes, I have an error E1 right now.....I can’t get to my manual easily....what does the E1 error code indicate, please?
    E1 is reversed polarity. Check another power pole.

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/troubleshooting
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Thanks, @VictoriaP ! I was at another campsite, same campground last night and the EMS worked fine, as it has since last year. I guess I’ll talk to the office to get some $$ refunded because the campground is full.

Thanks for the link—saved the pdf
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Ours is not hard wired, but Labor Day Weekend, 2018 we detected a reversed polarity issue. When notifying the campground management, we were told reversed polarity was impossible. Nevertheless, we plugged in to another pedestal, and had a good weekend anyway. Would never be without an EMS.
    Patrick Wilson just installed a hardwire unit. He learned about RV hot skin at ucamp and realized how bad that could be for him.....as his T@b T@b was surrounded by standing water.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• abenteurerabenteurer Member Posts: 72
    In our T@B's first year our hardwired unit detected an undervoltage condition that occurred only when the air conditioner was turned on.  I used the EMS display to prove to the campground tech what was happening and he later found a bad neutral connection in a main junction box.  The EMS also found a hot/neutral reversal in another campground.  Around 5 times in three years it has detected transient anomalies and shut off power briefly but we never knew what caused those.  I would never hook up to campground power without it.  By the way, my EMS display is mounted to the back of the Jensen TV which is really convenient. I cover the display at night.
    2016 T@B M@x S | 2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI (awesome) with factory tow pkg | 2017 Wrangler Sahara (awesome) 4-dr with factory max tow pkg
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Pretty clear from the posts on this thread that an EMS should be a day one purchase if hooking to shore power anywhere. Not as fun as all the cute decoration posts, BUT far more important to the health of your camper.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,395
    edited June 2019
    I'm certainly not campaigning against an EMS. However, many of these reported incidences stem from improperly wired campground receptacles. While it won't protect you against surges and brownouts, you can quickly check for reversed polarity, open grounds, and the like with one of these. Combined with an adapter you can even check 30A service.

2015 T@B S
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    Pretty clear from the posts on this thread that an EMS should be a day one purchase if hooking to shore power anywhere. Not as fun as all the cute decoration posts, BUT far more important to the health of your camper.
    I had the dealer do it when I went to pick it up for my walkthrough and have ne er regretted it.

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I think I've stated it before, if you put in an EMS Progressive unit, make sure the screws that hold down the wires have blue loctite (non-permanent) on them. These screws can back out when you have a tiny trailer that is subject to lots of bouncing and bumping (hopefully not into trees or people LOL). This *did* happen to me. I still have my EMS unit, but haven't found time to put it in the toyhauler. I've been using the dog bone Progressive unit.

I've had to use a generator a few times and it was nice not to have to put a "ground loop" plug in one of the 20A sockets and lose that plug-in. If you have a permanently wired EMS unit, you'll need a ground loop plug to get power.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)