Options

Bugs, Bugs & More Bugs....2019 TAB 400 Boondock Lite

We recently used our four month old 2019 TAB Boondock Lite in a campground that has alot of small "Lake Flies."  That evening we had dozens of the little devils inside. How are they getting in? Above door screen? Vents? Window seals?   Anyone who how and the solution? Thanks.
2019 TAB 400 Boondock

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    edited June 2019
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6965/mosquito-fix-for-t-b-windows/p1

You can get some Bug Fuzz from nuCamp.  Be aware that you can place the fuzz without taking the frame off or the screen out.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Emma62Emma62 Member Posts: 51
    We just finished a trip in the Superior National Forest in northern Minnesota.  The mosquitos, noseeums, and midges were the worse I've experienced in over 30 years camping in this area.  Fortunately we had installed the bug fuzz on the windows before the trip.   Only a handful of mosquitoes  and few dozen noseeums got past the bug fuzz. 

I am trying to design a bug repellant strip that would discourage bugs from following us into and out the door though.  
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @Sharon_is_SAM isn't the bug fuzz already installed on 2019 builds?
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    I don’t know.  But, maybe it got left off.  Good to check.  
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    I would expect a 2019 to have the fuzz, but what you describe sounds like my first three seasons in my 2015. Once I installed the fuzz in all three windows the problem disappeared.
    I will add that part of the issue resulted from large gaps between the curved front window frame and the interior wall of the camper. I never noticed it until I was installing the fuzz in the shade rails and happened to look at just the right angle. nuCamp had sent some compression foam with the fuzz kit, but it was insufficient for the job. Fortunately, the stuff is readily available at most hardware stores so I was able to plug the gaps in short order.
    If you do have the fuzz installed, you might want to check carefully for those gaps. Open the window, stick your head in the opening, and look directly at where the frame meets the wall.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    GliddenwoodsGliddenwoods Member Posts: 43
    Thanks all for the input.  I need to look closer at the windows and the 'fuzz" topic you raise. However a source I did discover is the top of the screen of the screen door. The screen does not go to the top of the upper channel that guides it. In the evening with only the screen door closed and interior lights might be the problem. Thoughts?
    2019 TAB 400 Boondock
  • Options
    Yes, any gap + lights = bug beacon!
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I make it a point to not turn on inside lights on the T@B unless the door is closed.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    And leave your porch light off. Even with being careful, I had a few my first night at uCamp, this year. 

....another reason I love fall camping. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jameskuzmanjameskuzman Member Posts: 140
    My 2019 400 (built in June) has the bug fuzz already installed.
    Jim Kuzman, Girard OH - 2019 T@B 400 - TV 2019 Volkswagen Atlas SE 4Motion w/ Factory Tow Package
  • Options
    SubaruLouSubaruLou Member Posts: 119
    I ordered two of these and LOVE them:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L7B1Y7H/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_FWYwDb0ESCPGA 
    Obviously, without the bug fuzz, you'd just be inviting more in, but once that's installed, these work great for catching the random pests that get in thru the door. 
    I like that they are USB chargeable. I tested them in my home kitchen during a recent fruit fly problem. Even in a bigger space, these attracted and zapped them!
    2019 T@B 320 S  |  2019 Subaru Ascent
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    SubaruLou said:
    I ordered two of these and LOVE them:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L7B1Y7H/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_FWYwDb0ESCPGA 
    Obviously, without the bug fuzz, you'd just be inviting more in, but once that's installed, these work great for catching the random pests that get in thru the door. 
    I like that they are USB chargeable. I tested them in my home kitchen during a recent fruit fly problem. Even in a bigger space, these attracted and zapped them!
    I have one of these. I hang it inside my CLAM shelter.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
    edited August 2019
    I hate to open a can of worms for you, but it sounds that most (or at least “many) of us with the 400s have had issues with our door alignment.  If you look closely when it’s light enough outside, you’ll probably see light coming through pretty substantial gaps around the edges.  And at night with the brightness of the interior lights, the bugs see these gaps even better than you do.  It took me a few hours over the course of a few days to get mine adjusted right (multiple threads on the forum about this effort), but once I did the bug problems have largely seemed to go away.  Our 2019 also came with the fuzz strips installed around the windows, so that ‘fix’ does seem to be affective and necessary as well.   Now, if we just never open the door at night, we’ll be fine in keeping the 10000 critters perched around the outside light from getting in.  Yeah, right.  I guess that calls for plan B... a bug zapping paddle and a very small bug vacuum.  If “bug paddle-zapping” could make it to the Olympics, I might have a shot at gold!
    Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
    nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    @ADRawli where did you get the very small bug vacuum?  Can you post a link?
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
    @lkc001 Amazon.  It’s a cheep plastic thing, and you have to cap the end to keep the bugs in, but it seems to work.  Might be better ones out there.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F6TGFLX/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_WnhyDbW7R5AAA

Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
    nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.