Options

Small Propane-Powered Generator

This discussion was created from comments split from: What I Did To My T@B Today.

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited July 2019
    Tested a little 900w peak propane fueled generator to see if it would charge the Tab 320 battery. Verdict: Yes. 

Model: Ryobi 900 starting watt propane powered inverter generator, $299 at Home Depot. Weighs 25 pounds, dimensions are about  2/3 the size of a Yamaha EF2000. Comes with adapter to run off a 20lb tank, or you can use the 1 lb version as I did here. Relatively quiet (Ryobi claims 61 decibels), and seemed to work pretty well. Won’t run AC or a Keurig, but then again, that’s not what I need it for. 😁  This will basically back up my solar suitcase for boondocking under cloudy skies. Going forward, I’ll most likely pair it with a NOCO Genius charger clipped to the battery, but today’s test was with the 30 amp cable and 15 amp adapter, which worked fine.

Won’t suit everyone since peak and sustained power is fairly low, but it’s pretty near perfect for my needs.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    @VictoriaP

Might want to get one of these for refilling the 1 pounders. 

Flame King Refillable 1 LB Empty Propane Cylinder Tank - with Refill Kit and CGA600 Connection - Reusable - Safe and Legal Refill Option - DOT Compliant - 16.4 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F9LCYRT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_q5thDb1MAZSB7
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    db_cooper said:
    @VictoriaP

Might want to get one of these for refilling the 1 pounders. 

Flame King Refillable 1 LB Empty Propane Cylinder Tank - with Refill Kit and CGA600 Connection - Reusable - Safe and Legal Refill Option - DOT Compliant - 16.4 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F9LCYRT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_q5thDb1MAZSB7
    Thanks! I’ve thought about these, but haven’t gotten that far yet. I generally keep a handful of 1 pounders on hand for running a Mr. Heater during winter power outages, so it was easy to just grab one for the test. I figured I’d probably pick up a 5 lb tank (way easier for me to lift and carry than a 20) to run this.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    db_cooper said:
    I've never moved the wind deflector, thought it was humorous. The whole rack is a bit of a joke, but we've made some use of it for bikes and chairs/rugs.

Please post you MPG gain in the TV mileage thread! 😁

Has nothing to do with mpg for me.  Just a bit of ocd or common sense.  Why so many people leave it on backwards?

2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    That Ryobi is sooo cool.  If James Bond had a generator, it would be this one.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Tabaz said:
    That Ryobi is sooo cool.  If James Bond had a generator, it would be this one.
    I don’t know, it seems to lack appropriate features, like maybe flamethrowers? 😁

Seriously, though, I’m fairly impressed with it. It should fit my needs pretty well. Definitely pleased not to have to deal with carrying gas and maintaining a gas engine through long periods of storage. Will be running it again tomorrow with the smart charger to continue the break in period.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    This is a great idea for those that prefer solar, but need a back up plan.  I am thinking Arizona desert in the winter or the PNW.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    VictoriaP said:
    Tested a little 900w peak propane fueled generator to see if it would charge the Tab 320 battery. Verdict: Yes. 

Won’t suit everyone since peak and sustained power is fairly low, but it’s pretty near perfect for my needs.
    Wow, that generator indeed seems awesome for your intended use! 

If I were to get a generator, that one would likely be at the top of my list (though I have not researched comparables, if they exist).  I would only ever need to re-charge my battery, if staying in one spot long enough to deplete my battery, in conditions where my little 40W solar panel can't keep up. 

Most consider them pretty compact, but the "small" ~2,000W generators are still too big and expensive to be of interest to me. 

In three years though, I've never been in too much of a jam power wise though.  Usually we don't stay at any one site for more than 4 nights, and with our light power draws, and 40W solar, we usually are ok.  A few times, I've run the truck for ~15minutes to pump a couple amp hours back into the battery, if we used it more than expected.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @VictoriaP I’ve often thought of getting something besides my solar for power backup to run my cpap. The tag underneath it says 12V-6.67 amp. Since I am fairly electrically undereducated would this work using a 12v power cord?
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    @VictoriaP I’ve often thought of getting something besides my solar for power backup to run my cpap. The tag underneath it says 12V-6.67 amp. Since I am fairly electrically undereducated would this work using a 12v power cord?

I bought this to back up my 100w Renogy, so yes, it will work as a backup. If you’re asking about running a CPAP directly off a genset, that isn’t a great option. As with any generator, the Ryobi will be still be subject to quiet time rules. Can’t have it inside, of course, due to the exhaust. It makes a little more noise when running than a Honda or Yamaha, not much, but it’s certainly a noticeable sound. Plus, there’s no good way to lock it up since the handle is just rubber, so high likelihood of theft if left unsupervised.

For off grid CPAP use, I think a Goal Zero Yeti (which is basically a battery with a built in inverter and outlets) or equivalent is really the best choice. Totally silent, can have it indoors. Because these usually have both kinds of outlets, you can run the CPAP off 12v or 100v, 12v will conserve power as it doesn’t use the inverter. The Yeti 400 lithium is around 15 pounds and is one of my favorite pieces of kit for lengthy power outages at home. I bought an adapter cable so I can recharge it with my Renogy panels, or I can charge it with the genset during the day when the noise will be less objectionable. 

rkj__ said: 

Most consider them pretty compact, but the "small" ~2,000W generators are still too big and expensive to be of interest to me. 

In three years though, I've never been in too much of a jam power wise though.  Usually we don't stay at any one site for more than 4 nights, and with our light power draws, and 40W solar, we usually are ok.  A few times, I've run the truck for ~15minutes to pump a couple amp hours back into the battery, if we used it more than expected.
    Totally agree on the 2kw generators, they really are bulky. I actually have the Yamaha EF2000is from a week long power outage years back. I bought this new one because I currently have mobility limitations that make anything bigger too difficult to move.

In general, I actually don’t expect it to see a ton of use outside of power outages at home. But, I have higher than typical power draws because I do use Purpleline powered movers on the trailer, and I live in the land of trees and constant cloud cover outside Seattle. Testing on a sunny day at noon, my 100w panels produce 70-80w. The least bit of haze and it starts to drop...the clouds roll in and I’m down to 5-10w. Solar is still my first choice, but it just isn’t always going to be enough in my area.

2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    First, @GatorEgg my apologies for helping hijack your post. Maybe @Verna or @jgram2 can break this off to its own thread. 

@VictoriaP thanks for the info. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge! I read somewhere that because a cpap is considered DME it is legal to run a generator at night for powering the cpap. That said, I sure don’t want to be the one ticking off an entire campground all night because I legally can. I’m not fond of generator noise anyway and a lithium power station would be ideal! Thanks!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    looking at that generator,  With the victron multiplus a fellow could run AC off the grid easily.    the victron has a boost feature to make up for AC current shortfalls.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods