Storing the Longer Stabilizer Hand Crank Bar

My wife and I purchased a 2016 T@B Max S on Friday and we're very excited after being tent campers. We both retired earlier this year and are looking forward to new adventures in the little camper. One item I received with the camper was a long crank handle to operate the stabilizer jacks. I couldn't find a spot to store it, I thought the area under the seat with the passenger wheel well would be fine but it was too short. I searched on here and found a couple of solutions. I decided to drill a hole into the next compartment, add a PVC pipe and a clip to hold the handle end in place. The pictures should be self explanatory but it's a PVC pipe, some metal plumbers tape, six screws and a clip typically used to hold a broom on a wall. We also received a modified socket which allows the use of a cordless drill, which will likely be our default method for moving the stabilizers, but I didn't want to be without the handle should my batteries give out. Thanks to everyone for all the ideas we've seen so far on this great forum.

Mike and Lisa Campbell
Springfield, MO
2016 T@B Max S - Sold March 2020

Comments

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Looks great!  I simplified the process on our 400 and use a Camco RV socket adapter to raise and lower the stabilizer legs.  This has made life easier and I carry my Ryobi drill with me on all trips.  

Camco RV Leveling Scissor Jack Socket Drill Adapter, Fits 3/8" and 1/2" Power Drills, Works With All 3/4" Hex Drive Jacks (57363) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001V8U12M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_TX8kDb08BY7YS

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • DougWWDougWW Member Posts: 87
    Brilliant. nice design.
    ...Doug

2021 T@B 320S Boondock, Chevy Avalanche, Happy wife.
  • lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 731
    @Michigan_Mike Where did you get the longer bar & does that adapter have the notch in it to work on a Tab that need the notch in the stabilizer crank?
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    I simply cut the bar at the first turn so it is straight, then use a 1/2 drill with the stabilizers.  Store it in on the floor of the passenger side pedestal.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    I had put a bit of PVC up by the spare tire holder on my Boondock platform.. but Honestly, I use a 19mm deep socket and my drill.. so I've just stowed the handle in my Tow vehicle just in case of emergency.. but it's kind of buried ..

Nice solution
    ~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

• TheDinkodsTheDinkods Member Posts: 1
    GREAT solution!!!   Love the clip that the handle clips into.  Any chance of a manufacturer or a Amazon link for the clip?
    2020 T@B 320S Boondock Edge "Sammy"
    2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    Phoenix, AZ

Q:  You want a Pepsi?  
    A:  No, I'll have a T@B!

Dinkods = Dual Income, No Kids, One Dingo
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @TheDinkods, I purchased a set of very similar clips (in white) a couple weeks ago from Amazon to do the same thing.  I had planned on storing the hand crank somewhere in the back storage compartment, but I like @MiquelCamo's idea, so I may go that route instead.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQNZLE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    I have the crank + two other longish tools that need similar storage, so a month or so back, I bought an extendable plastic poster tube that fit nicely along the front wall of the rear storage bin, accessible from the outside compartment door. There’s enough stuff in that area, I didn’t bother clamping it. It’s nice to have one spot to put those things without them tangling up with everything else in that compartment.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    @VictoriaP, you have piqued my interest.  Do you by chance have a photo of where you placed those items.  I'm not visualizing in my head exactly how you did that.  When you say "front wall of the rear storage bin," are you referring to the wall that runs from passenger to driver side of the storage compartment (i.e., the wall to the immediate right when you open the compartment door and look inside)?
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

edited July 2019
    Bayliss said:
    @VictoriaP, you have piqued my interest.  Do you by chance have a photo of where you placed those items.  I'm not visualizing in my head exactly how you did that.  When you say "front wall of the rear storage bin," are you referring to the wall that runs from passenger to driver side of the storage compartment (i.e., the wall to the immediate right when you open the compartment door and look inside)?
    Not very good pics, just quick snaps. Sorry for the mess. But yes, looking in from the compartment door, it’s on the right. And from above, it’s against the front cabinet wall. Holds the crank, the 30” drill socket rod for the stabilizers, and the 24” lever for my Purpleline trailer movers. I think I might use pipe clamps or metal straps to mount it higher on the wall at some point, and just let the handle for the crank dangle down. But for now, I’m just happy not to be trying to pull those things out from under everything else.

The black bands you see around the poster tube are part of a shoulder strap that come with it, and that’s probably the perfect place for the clamps to secure it to the cabinet wall.

2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    edited July 2019
    Got it, @VictoriaP.  The photos are perfect and very helpful.  I appreciate you taking the time to do that for me.  That is the same area I originally planned on placing my crank, but my camper (same model as yours) is in storage and I started to think that I might hit the Alde tank if I drilled a hole through that back wall.  Now, after seeing your photos, and after a closer review of my own photos of the Alde compartment, it looks like it will clear the tank nicely (but I suppose you already figured that out.)  I guess I will return to my original plan.  I'll probably use the white clip I have to hold the handle up against the wall to the right.  Thank you!  (Greg)

Bayliss said:
    Got it, @VictoriaP.  The photos are perfect and very helpful.  I appreciate you taking the time to do that for me.  That is the same area I originally planned on placing my crank, but my camper (same model as yours) is in storage and I started to think that I might hit the Alde tank if I drilled a hole through that back wall.  Now, after seeing your photos, and after a closer review of my own photos of the Alde compartment, it looks like it will clear the tank nicely (but I suppose you already figured that out.)  I guess I will return to my original plan.  I'll probably use the white clip I have to hold the handle up against the wall to the right.  Thank you!  (Greg)
    No need to drill into the Alde compartment, at least on mine. The crank fits fine without going that far (unless you want to, of course.) The poster tube butts up against that divider between the compartments, and the crank is pushed all the way to the end of the tube. 
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    edited July 2019
    Even better, @VictoriaP!!  Wish I had one of those Staples Office Supply red "That Was Easy" buttons.  I'd be giving it a big tap right now.   =)

Bayliss said:
    Even better, @VictoriaP!!  Wish I had one of those Staples Office Supply red "That Was Easy" buttons.  I'd be giving it a big tap right now.   =)
    Here you go.... 😁

(I actually have a real one floating around here somewhere...)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We just tuck ours behind the passenger side seat cushion, easy to grab from the door.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • duckblind123duckblind123 Member Posts: 61
    I installed a couple of command strip holders and use rubber flex ties to secure it to the command strips by the door.  It is out of the way and easily retrieved when needed.

Marc & Janet
    2016 T@B Max S - 2017 Honda Pilot - Winchester,VA

• CliffhangerCliffhanger Member Posts: 8
    My 2020 T@B 320 has the wall between the passenger seat and the a/c compartment Cut Through with an opening that allows the full length of the crank to simply be laid under the seat through the side cabinet door without modification. Though I am considering a way to batten it down so it doesn't slide where it shouldn't.
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 908
    edited August 2019
    The handle end just wedges into the back corner .  A piece of foam rubber, a screw hook and a stop keep it snugly in place.