Options

No-see-ums solution?

webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
Searched the forum to see if there is a solution to prevent no-see-ums entering the T@B, only found discussions about the fuzzy window insert. Already have them installed but I observed them entering through the window screens, the mesh is not fine enough to stop them. The last trip was challenging and frustrating, in the morning the T@B was infested. Thanks in advance
2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM Perfect, Thanks.
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Didn't think we needed to do that mod after installing the fuzz on the sides, but last night changed that.  Only got a few hours sleep after several dozen skeeters figured a way through.  Luckily my bald head got most of the attention and mostly spared the wife.

Netting and elastic cord have been purchased.  But I need a nap....
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    db_cooper said:
    Didn't think we needed to do that mod after installing the fuzz on the sides, but last night changed that.  Only got a few hours sleep after several dozen skeeters figured a way through.  Luckily my bald head got most of the attention and mostly spared the wife.

Netting and elastic cord have been purchased.  But I need a nap....
    🤣😂🤣  I know what you’re saying as they use mine as a landing strip too!  🤣😂🤣
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    @dbcooper, have you inspected all windows for gaps between the screen frame and the wall? Mine had some particularly large ones on the curved front window which I sealed with foam weatherstrip at the same time I installed the fuzz.

While I do agree the tiniest bugs might be able to zip through the screen  itself (as webers3 describes) I have had no issues with 'skeeter infiltration since installing the fuzz. (And it's not for lack of testing!!!)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @ScottG

I'm going to look into that, it may have been the front window.  After Tuesday night, I'm going to be going over every gap. We've never had an issue, and there have been skeeters before, so maybe some new gaps have formed.

I also have another theory, we talked that day about how nice the bugs were on our hike, but neither of us knocked on wood, or my head.  Should have known....

• Options
    NunuNunu Member Posts: 3
    Could the screens be sprayed with insect repellant?  I make my own with essential oils....
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,925
    edited July 2019
    @Nunu, probably not a wise idea. While it may discourage some flying, biting critters, you'd be breathing those fumes and vapors and possibly intaking those chemicals into your lungs. @Ratkity, your take on spraying the trailer screens with bug repellent?  I bow to your knowledgeable opinion.  Maybe this situation would warrant judicial use of a low yield nuke?
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    51chevy51chevy Member Posts: 31
    Are you sure there getting in through the window edges. I noticed one day you can see daylight if you look at the A C down the TV side. There’s enough room for any flying critter to enter. I’ve been toying with ideas on how to fix it, weatherstrip etc. but there’s a big gap, you can see daylight.
  • Options
    @51chevy not sure whom you are asking. I don't have A/C so that's not where the no-see-ums are getting in, I have the fuzz installed, I don't have mosquitoes getting in but I did see no-see-ums getting in through the screen. This appears to be the most effective solution, all I need is a sewing machine and some sewing lessons :)

• Options
    @51chevy , definitely not the A/C, as I've removed it and covered all the openings with foam insulation.  I still need to check the gaps around the windows with a flashlight.  Still going to make the no see um covers, as insurance, even if I find a gap.  The front window is probably the culprit, it's hard to see the bottom of it.

• Options
    elberethelbereth Member Posts: 105
    @Nunu, after waking up one morning in Northern Minnesota with a herd of mosquitoes on the screen over our heads, I spray with a permethrin spray at the start of the season and it works pretty well to discourage the buggers landing on the screen. My husband holds a towel inside while I spray from the outside in.  @dragonsdofly, permethrin is safe once it dries, it’s the same stuff they use for insect repellant clothing and a chemical “cousin” to what’s used in the Thermacell.
    2018 T@B CS-S Towed by 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i in the wilds of Minnesota
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    elbereth said:
    @Nunu, after waking up one morning in Northern Minnesota with a herd of mosquitoes on the screen over our heads, I spray with a permethrin spray at the start of the season and it works pretty well to discourage the buggers landing on the screen. My husband holds a towel inside while I spray from the outside in.  @dragonsdofly, permethrin is safe once it dries, it’s the same stuff they use for insect repellant clothing and a chemical “cousin” to what’s used in the Thermacell.
    Same product I use. Works well. I also applied to the the screens of the side tent, so between the side tent and applying to the tab screens, we a relatively free of bugs. Also helps to keep lights off. I replaced the 3000w reading lamps with the dual color reading lamps nucamp installs in he 400. The blue is cool, plus doesn’t attract bugs and I can see...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    To quote Python, "It was the salmon mousse." Or in our case, the front window.  There's almost a quarter inch gap between the screen frame and wall.  Will be sealing that with weather stripping.  Still going to make the mesh cover since I have the fabric, can see it coming in handy in windy conditions.  PNW skeeters can fly in 30 knot winds. 😲

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Brisk wind can also knock out your screens on the sides.  Just found that out.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio