No-see-um Window Screen Tutorial

After a recent bug invasion, I decided to make auxiliary window screens. First, this is not my idea - I saw something similar on one of the Facebook T@B pages.

You will want no-see-um mesh, which has very small openings. This is available from EMS, REI, Amazon etc. but comes in pre-packaged amounts. I ordered mine from Seattle Fabrics since they will cut to length. I ordered 2 1/4 yards of black no-see-um mesh for 3 windows. You also need round elastic cord. 2 packages will do 3 windows. Any fabric store will have it.

I made a pattern from newspaper, taping pieces together to get the size needed. The window should be measured from one wall, across the front of the window, and around to the opposite wall. My side windows measure 41" wide and 23" high wall-to-wall, and my front window measures 40" wide and 22" high wall-to-wall. Add one inch to each measurement before cutting your mesh. The pieces for my side windows were cut to 42" by 24", and the piece for the front window was cut to 41" by 23". I rounded the corners slightly. This will reduce excess fabric at the corners and facilitate sewing around the corners.

Now cut the elastic cord. I cut 80" lengths for the side windows and a 78" length for the front window. Tie the two ends together. This will keep the cord from sliding through the stitching.

You will be zigzagging over the elastic cord. I used my machine's zigzag stitch with a stitch length of 2 and a stitch width of 5.5.

You want to stitch OVER the elastic cord and not through it. This will facilitate distributing the fabric gathers evenly. The best way to do this is to use a cording or embellishment foot, which has a channel underneath that keeps the cord centered under the zigzag stitching.

Ready to sew. Put the mesh under the foot with the cord in the channel of the foot. Start with the knot you tied right behind the presser foot. Sew a few stitches, back stitch, and then start sewing. As you sew, keep tension on the cord in front so that gathers form in back. Think of a hairnet - you want the screen to slip over the window frame and then hold it snugly. Sew about 1/2 inch from the edges (this is why you cut the mesh 1" larger in each dimension.) Sew around the whole screen back to the knot and backstitch for a few more stitches.

The finished product. If you were careful not to catch the elastic cord in your stitching, you can ease out any uneven gathers. 

This screen is for my front window. Since it is a slightly smaller size I tied on a bit of ribbon to distinguish it from the larger side window screens.

And here it is in place.

When you remove the no-see-um screen, be careful of the frame corners. They pop off easily (they go back on easily too.)

Hopefully the instructions are clear. If you can sew, it is not a difficult project to do. Let me know if you have any questions!

John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Pro Tip: When ordering from Seattle Fabrics, choose the USPS shipping option as it may work out much cheaper than any of the others.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Nice write-up!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• RedufresneRedufresne Member Posts: 100
    This is genius!  Thank you!
    B@t T@b, the 2016 Max S Outback, pulled by Bane, the 2014 Honda Ridgeline.
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Shoot, I'd been assuming the Tab's screens were no-see-um screening from the factory... 

No-see-ums are a nasty thing.

Thanks Photomom.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    edited August 2016
    The no-see-um mesh is MUCH finer. And I have been told that bugs can get in on the sides.
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I know the the old windows in the pre-LG Tabs needed some modification to stop bugs from coming in the sides of the slider screen, but I checked ours for that, and they'd changed the window manufacturer, so that problem doesn't exist on ours. I think the most recent models also have an even newer model window, so you'd have to examine yours for that weakness.

But with your fancy screen mod, I guess you don't need to worry about it!

I was doing 'minimal equipment' camping, on a motorcycle, crossing Canada on the Trans Canada Highway, when we discovered that our cheap little nylon pup tent didn't have no-see-um netting.

Western Ontario, in lake country. Argh! They had a feast.

Awful things.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    One thing I have observed is that wind can blow the T@B window screens out of the tracks on the sides, letting bugs in if you don't notice. These may help keep the screens in the tracks but will definitely keep bugs from getting through. 
  • TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Thanks for this..  We've been working on something similar, but got stuck on the sewing part.  We had the screens cut out and the cords measured and cut.  With your info, we can finish...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• rkhammondrkhammond Member Posts: 54
    Excellent instructions! Thank you for taking the time to put this together. This forum has the best members :-)

Kelly & Roy ~ Wyoming
    2016 T@B Q ~ 
    2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    Got a little extra no-see-um mesh after you make your window screens? Make handy little ditty bags. This one is for my AeroPress coffee maker.

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Them bugs ain't messing wif no coffee here! :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Nice! I do not sew (though I have occasionally stippled just for fun...). DW is quite capable, however, so it appears she has her own mod to complete for next season.
    2015 T@B S
  • JJandJJJJandJJ Member Posts: 11
    We bought a 2017 Max S in August.  Even with the newer model, the screens didn't stop the bugs.  We've been out on 3 trips so far and they drove me crazy.  My first job is to wipe down the walls and door to clean up the guts.  My second job will be to make these screens.  Thank you so much for this post.  The instructions are very clear and the task looks quite easy.  
    JJandJJ said:
    We bought a 2017 Max S in August.  Even with the newer model, the screens didn't stop the bugs.  We've been out on 3 trips so far and they drove me crazy.  My first job is to wipe down the walls and door to clean up the guts.  My second job will be to make these screens.  Thank you so much for this post.  The instructions are very clear and the task looks quite easy.  

I found that the door let in more than the windows and that I could greatly reduce the bug infiltration by closing the shades about half way, but not the ideal solution. This is a very good solution, but I am not sure if I am in buggy enough situations, often enough to matter. I ran into the bug problem only 2x in 3+ months this summer. It was strange, both times I only had the bug issue the first night. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• JJandJJJJandJJ Member Posts: 11
    For so late in the year, we were surprised at how buggy it was but it's been an unusual summer for weather, in all respects - we live in the south west part of Ontario. I agree Jenn, the door is the biggest issue.  We ended up closing everything and running the air conditioner. I think this mesh solution works bests if we want to keep a window open at night and/or run the fan (which sucks the light weight bugs into the trailer). Of course my husband says he doesn't know what we'll do when we end up with bugs trapped between the two screens. 
    JJandJJ said:
    Of course my husband says he doesn't know what we'll do when we end up with bugs trapped between the two screens. 
    I had that thought, too. I wonder if they will find their way out, mostly, on their own?

jkjenn said:
    JJandJJ said:
    Of course my husband says he doesn't know what we'll do when we end up with bugs trapped between the two screens. 
    I had that thought, too. I wonder if they will find their way out, mostly, on their own?
    Most bugs have fairly short life spans and if there are some stuck inside when you take the auxiliary screens off you can just shake them off outside.
    Photomom said:
    jkjenn said:
    JJandJJ said:
    Most bugs have fairly short life spans and if there are some stuck inside when you take the auxiliary screens off you can just shake them off outside.
    Either that, or they make a condo and buzz you to sleep all night - sorta like when a cricket gets into your house and you can't find it to save your life! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Reminds me of a trip in the Yellowstone back country. Ate dinner wearing bug netting.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    edited February 2018
    Did not remember I had seen this tread, but went a head and did 2 for our T@G side windows and they are just great.  Made a very big difference.

now I need to do it for the fantastic fan and find a way to do the stargazer window.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
    @LuckyJ, unless your Fantastic Fan is different from mine, you probably won't need the nets there as the stock screen fits pretty tight.

The problem with the windows is the bugs sneak around the edges of the screens inside the plastic frames. Fortunately, I've never seem them get in around the fan, and--at least in my T@B--all the other openings seem to be pretty well closed off.
    2015 T@B S
    ScottG said:
    @LuckyJ, unless your Fantastic Fan is different from mine, you probably won't need the nets there as the stock screen fits pretty tight.

The problem with the windows is the bugs sneak around the edges of the screens inside the plastic frames. Fortunately, I've never seem them get in around the fan, and--at least in my T@B--all the other openings seem to be pretty well closed off.
    I've found that it doesn't take much of a breeze to blow the screens out of the tracks and create a big opening for bugs to come in. The "hairnets" keep the screens in the tracks.
  • LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    The no-see-um do not get around the screens, but right thrue it.  I have the issue at my cabin too, and it was fixed by installing no-see-um screens.  When the fan is working in the out direction, no issues, nothing is coming in.  But when it is not working, then we have to shut off the vent cover or they will come in.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
    Ahhh, got it! I guess those buggers are pretty small--good to know they'll come through the fan screen.
    2015 T@B S
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    I don't sew, but would be interested in reimbursing someone for their time and effort for a set of three for my T@B.  Please PM me if you're interested.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited June 2017
    If all else fails, buy one of these as they do work and will cut down the bug population inside the trailer.   =)

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited June 2017
    Tabaz said:
    I don't sew, but would be interested in reimbursing someone for their time and effort for a set of three for my T@B.  Please PM me if you're interested.
    @Photomom -- Should you decide to turn this idea into a cott@ge industry, I'll second that order. :D
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
    If all else fails, buy one of these as they do work and will cut down the bug population inside the trailer.   =)

hehehehehe Mike.. I have a yellow colored one. The most I catch is my hair lol. The rackets are still fun to swat at them buggers!
    Not interested, sorry. They really aren't hard to make.