Options

Adding two 6V batteries

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
To anyone who has added two 6V batteries to the 320-S. Are there 6V batteries that will fit in the existing tub without doing modifications (except of course removing the 12V)? OR is it possible to mount the NOCO dual 6V GC2 box on the wing and wire 2 6V batteries there? 

Comments

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    I searched “battery on platform” and found this and several others. I know I saw a more recent photo too.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/5369/help-mounting-noco-battery-box-for-the-two-golf-cart-battery-mod
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    A group 27 box is for a group 27 12V battery. I sure wish I could stuff two 6V batteries in there--if so I would have done it a long time ago!  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    edited August 2019
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    Find something to use for storage on the "wings" of the box, and free up the space for the batteries there.  Everything will be easier as far as wiring the batteries.  Moving your batteries out of the propane tub will mean moving all the wiring out of there, too, or some type of mod to connect the wiring. 

I have two aluminum boxes on mine and they just swallow so much stuff, I couldn't believe it. Chocks, tools, sewer hoses...etc...etc.

Many different types of boxes fit on the rack, and all will hold much more than the propane tub.  This is just one thread.

Another thread for batteries in the Outback tub:

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    CherokeeCherokee Member Posts: 120
    I'm not sure this will be my finial solution, but a tight fit is generally always better then a having something moving around. Though my batteries wouldn't fit on the bottom, there is enough flex in the box to allow fitting one on the bottom and another on a 4x4. The stepped solution allows the batteries to both fit well secured. . I added a cord across the top to assure they stay in place on bumpy dirt roads:    
    1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (2" lift and 30" tires) 2019 T@B 320 Boondogle
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
       Recently, I had a good discussion with an engineer at EPS (https://www.enhancedperformancesystems.com/)  who make the 6v battery conversion tray for our trailers.  The Tear Drop Shop sells these, also.
    Yes they accommodate two 6v in the original font storage box along with original propane tank.  He also stated if you want to move the tank to the center of the box you can fit an additional tray to the other side.  Enabling four six volts in the box.  I'm ordering one tray, two 6 volts is enough for me.

2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    CherokeeCherokee Member Posts: 120
    GatorEgg said:
       Recently, I had a good discussion with an engineer at EPS (https://www.enhancedperformancesystems.com/)  who make the 6v battery conversion tray for our trailers.  The Tear Drop Shop sells these, also.
    Yes they accommodate two 6v in the original font storage box along with original propane tank.  He also stated if you want to move the tank to the center of the box you can fit an additional tray to the other side.  Enabling four six volts in the box.  I'm ordering one tray, two 6 volts is enough for me.

Without moving the propane tank I doubt it would fit. In another post someone moved the mounting for the tank to fit two 6v batteries side by side. I could not get them in my T@B without a tray with the stock tank location. Ask him to send you an image of the installation. 
    1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (2" lift and 30" tires) 2019 T@B 320 Boondogle
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I'm also surprised to see enhancedperformancesystems suggesting this. He's showing the standard plastic Tab battery/propane box. I tried all sorts of tricks to do what he shows on his website, and I just couldn't get it to go. I had to put in a smaller propane tank 11 lb, and put one battery on either side of it. 
    One problem is that the Tab front end is sloped, and makes it so the battery can't tuck up tight to the back edge of the box.
    I wonder if he's using a smaller battery than the standard 220aH GC battery.
    GatorEgg said:

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited February 2020
    @Cherokee, I don't think a bungee cord will be strong enough to keep your batteries from bouncing in there, on a bumpy road. I actually rode in the Tab once, on a street in the Carolinas (where it's legal!), and the Tab ride is amazingly bouncy. 

Also, I'd worry that the batteries, and propane tank, being squeezed together in there, might wear badly against each other, or maybe crack the battery case, when bouncing over those bumps.

Just some thoughts...

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    Cherokee said:
    GatorEgg said:

Without moving the propane tank I doubt it would fit. In another post someone moved the mounting for the tank to fit two 6v batteries side by side. I could not get them in my T@B without a tray with the stock tank location. Ask him to send you an image of the installation. 

The pics and installation videos are on their website.

2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    @Cherokee,  I tried looking up the specs on your batteries based on the data I could see in your pics, to no avail. Are they a GC2 size? Thanks in advance.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726

2 Costco Interstate GC's fit perfectly in the Outback tub. 3 years since I put them in, they are doing fine. I keep a piece of foam over the top to reduce the likely hood of shocking myself.  

They are snug against the propane tank, so I have to take the tank out first to remove them. 
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Thanks @db_cooper for photo proof that the GC2s fit in the outback tub. We are leaning towards this route once we figure out a use for our 'still good' stock battery.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022