Options

Make your T@B easy to push/pull in gravel or dirt with a 10" Croft Pneumatic Wheel Kit!

2»

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    Croft has updated their double pneumatic swivel wheel, it now has flat free tires. https://www.crofttrailer.com/tjwk20-sff-croft-flat-free-wheel-kit-with-swivel-feature/ Price has gone up another $10 as a result.

For those of us who’ve had the Purpleline mover installed, a flat foot is not useful. I do currently use a double plastic wheel for hard surfaces, of the type Sharon_is_SAM posted, as well as the pneumatic Frankenwheel of Dalehelman’s design. The difference I see between the Frankenwheel and the Croft is the position of the cup that pins to the jack post—the Frankenwheel has the cup positioned well over the axle and indeed above the tops of the tires, while the Croft puts it at axle height. The biggest problem I have with Frankenwheel is the amount of torque that extra height seems to place on the jack post when the Purpleline is in action. You can see it wobble as the trailer moves. The Croft should hopefully be a bit more stable, and the flat free tires address the problems with using pneumatics that have already been mentioned.

I’ve not had any real issue putting the Frankenwheel on or off and did not need to cut the post to use it, but I do have a Boondock. The Croft sitting several inches lower should address that problem at least somewhat too, though.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @VictoriaP............figures they would come out with a flat-free version right after I purchased one.  Ughhh.  I may contact them and see if they will send me a pair of wheels.  Thanks for the info.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Bayliss said:
    @VictoriaP............figures they would come out with a flat-free version right after I purchased one.  Ughhh.  I may contact them and see if they will send me a pair of wheels.  Thanks for the info.
    I know, right? Sorry for the hassle. Have you had a chance to try yours yet? Would love a review before I hit checkout.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @VictoriaP, no, I have not yet tried it out.  My three planned trips for this year were cancelled due to Covid-19.  All I have done is hold the Croft set-up next to my jack tube to confirm there will still be plenty of room for moving the jack tube up and down, and there is.  I didn't expect a problem since my trailer is the same as yours.  It is a very well made product, so I think you will be happy with it.

I probably won't fret about not having the flat-free tires.  The inflatable tires will likely roll better on softer surfaces and I intend to always carry the stock jockey wheel "just in case" something happens to one or both of the inflatable tires.
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    @Bayliss, Greg, if you want the Airless flat free Croft, I will buy you’re inflatable Croft wheel unit, and you can reorder the new Flat Free wheel set.  I am in SF Calif area, so shipping should not be too much.  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Thanks, @Denny16.  I have decided to stick with the inflatable tires, for the reason I indicated in my earlier post.  I appreciate the offer.

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    The inflatable set appears to be discontinued. The flat free link is https://www.crofttrailer.com/tjwk20-sff-croft-flat-free-wheel-kit-with-swivel-feature/
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    JUST AN FYI.........I contacted Croft regarding their change to the flat-free tires, mainly to inquire as to whether there is any issue with the inflatable tires.  This is the response from their tech support representative:

"We were not intending to switch to the flat free version as much as we were forced to switch.  Due to the wuhan covid virus our supplier could not supply the wheels and tires in a timely manner.  It was going to be at least six months.  We did not want to turn down sales due to a lack of supply.  We decided to switch to the flat free version which they had in stock.  This allowed us to keep selling a product that people were asking for.  I have not had a single customer contact us about the tires popping."

They do sell the flat-free tires, but it's pretty pricey - - $37.95 each.

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    If you have the pneumatic tires and are concerned about a flat. Add green tire slime Available at Walmart and carry a tire pump manual or electric. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    We are glad to have this wheel kit. It makes jockeying trailer to drop perfectly over hitch ball a breeze. If you have a T@B 400, don't expect you'll be maneuvering the trailer at will on gravel. I couldn't find the earliest posts, but the pushing it around with ease must have been a 320?
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    PjknoblePjknoble Member Posts: 14
    So the double pneumatic swivel wheel from Croft with the link at the top will work on a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock?
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock • Acura MDX
    PacNW
  • Options
    Pjknoble said:
    So the double pneumatic swivel wheel from Croft with the link at the top will work on a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock?
    If you read the most recent posts, Croft does not stock the pneumatic set currently due to procurement issues. Instead, they are stocking a flat free version. https://www.crofttrailer.com/tjwk20-sff-croft-flat-free-wheel-kit-with-swivel-feature/ Mine arrived today, and I hope to test it tomorrow on my 320. Looks to be very good quality, and yes, this will support a tongue weight limit of 600 lbs, so should be fine for a 400.

HOWEVER, as noted by others, you’ll need to have a fair amount of brute strength to move a 400 by hand on even a smooth paved surface. I’m not convinced it’s worth the money for use with a 400 unless you have the powered trailer mover that some of us have added to our rigs.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    PjknoblePjknoble Member Posts: 14
    Thanks @VictoriaP. Understood.  I am getting the Quattro as well, but that will be a few weeks yet.
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock • Acura MDX
    PacNW
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I had the chance to test the new flat free double jack wheel from Croft with the Purpleline Enduro trailer mover yesterday. Just a driveway test, so concrete aggregate with a grade ranging from 6-12% in spots.

Verdict: pretty good. The cup mount sits much lower than my Dale Helman-inspired double pneumatic Frankenwheel, and it’s clear that the lower cup mount puts less strain on the jack post when the trailer is moving under its own power. The way the cup sits between the wheels makes it a little awkward to get the pin in there, but that’s my only real complaint. The tires are a bit squeaky when underway compared to a hard plastic wheel, and they’re definitely grippier, but at the same time they’re less grippy than the pneumatics were on the same surface. No sliding on the sloped aggregate, not so grippy that they resisted changes in direction. Overall, I’m pleased.

I think this is a decent upgrade for any Purpleline owner. The pneumatic version, if it ever returns, might be the better choice...my pneumatics have deeper tread and are a touch wider, and between those features and the grip of a softer tire, I suspect they’ll outperform the flat free on softer ground. But for most campgrounds, the flat free is likely to be sufficient. Either is an improvement over the stock wheel for a Purpleline equipped trailer, and I think it’s an improvement over the double hard wheel that’s been my default for the last year as well.

EDIT: please read SteveW’s reply below. The pneumatic may not be a good option for Purpleline users on hard surfaces. 
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    SteveWSteveW Member Posts: 12
    I have a purpleline mover on a 320 outback and with the croft pneumatic there is an issue. Spinning in place under mover power distorts the sidewalls of the tires and drags them across the tarmac. The turning radius seems to be too tight for the jockey wheel to rotate and realign to the direction of movement.  Since I installed the mover exactly for this (tight radius turns to line up with storage unit) - these pneumatics have not been used more than once and I am back on the factory provided hard wheel.
    Reformed tent campers now in Ab T@B - 2016 Outback
  • Options
    SteveW said:
    I have a purpleline mover on a 320 outback and with the croft pneumatic there is an issue. Spinning in place under mover power distorts the sidewalls of the tires and drags them across the tarmac. The turning radius seems to be too tight for the jockey wheel to rotate and realign to the direction of movement.  Since I installed the mover exactly for this (tight radius turns to line up with storage unit) - these pneumatics have not been used more than once and I am back on the factory provided hard wheel.
    Interesting to hear, and what a bummer! I did see similar behavior from the pneumatics on my homemade double pneumatic on hard surfaces. I did not see it to any significant extent with the flat free Croft in driveway testing, though I totally agree the swivel radius is not as tight as the stock wheel. As a result, if you’re maneuvering in tight quarters, you may need to nudge the trailer one way or another more frequently to get the front wheels to turn the correct direction.

That said, I’m not convinced there’s any significant advantage to using a softer or larger double wheel on flat hard surfaces with some tooth, like tarmac. My standard sized hard double that I bought with the Purpleline originally performs fine in those situations, and I feel it outperforms my stock single wheel that came with the Tab in terms of maneuverability. I wanted the Croft for packed dirt and gravel sites where the smaller hard wheels have more trouble, and it does seem slip less so far on the exposed pebbles of my steep aggregate driveway. (Aggregate...never again! Terrible traction.)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Kr@ckenKr@cken Member Posts: 146
    Just got my Croft dual tires today and having trouble getting it on the jack. Anyone have any hints. I have tried lithium grease but the fit just seems too tight so when I drop in the post it pushes the plate down. Not possible for me to mount or remove by myself. What is working for you? 
    Thanks
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    Factory Victron Solar, Norcold 3 way Fridge
    Clueless about everything electronic
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options
    Kr@cken said:
    Just got my Croft dual tires today and having trouble getting it on the jack. Anyone have any hints. I have tried lithium grease but the fit just seems too tight so when I drop in the post it pushes the plate down. Not possible for me to mount or remove by myself. What is working for you? 
    Thanks
    @Kr@cken, mine had no issues fitting onto the post at all. Getting the pin in was awkward compared to a “normal” jack wheel due to the cup being between the wheels, but that’s to be expected and doesn’t sound like what you’re experiencing. I wonder if the cup on yours is somehow a fraction smaller?
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    I think it must be. I’ll reach out to the company tomorrow. Thank you for the feedback. 
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options
    Greased things up and fit is OK. Now I have no idea how to get the pin in place. Is this the same model you guys have?
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Swivel the wheels 90° (at least, I think it was that far) while holding the cup in place to align with the holes on the post prior to installing. It still takes a bit of maneuvering, but you can line up the holes on both cup and post with the wheels askew so you can get the pin slotted in.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    @Kr@cken, this post is in response to your personal message to me, which was inadvertently posted to the "Activity" section.  (See also my personal response in your Forum inbox, or personal E-mail, on how to send a personal message to a Forum member):

I agree with the mounting procedure described by @VictoriaP.

You basically want to have the tread of the two Croft tires pointing toward either the driver or passenger's side of your trailer.  That will allow you to align the holes on the swivel mount "cup" (for lack of a better term) of the Croft jockey wheels with the holes on your T@B jack tube.

IF you want to straighten the Croft tires in a front-to-rear orientation, just maneuver (push/pull) the front end of your trailer until the wheels rotate to the position you desire.

Please post on this discussion thread to let us know it that works for you.  Good luck!  (Greg)  

• Options
    Thank you so much. Rotating took care of the problem. I don’t know how I missed that asa an option. Really appreciate the assistance and love the feel of the new tire.
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options
    glanglan Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased the Croft dual wheel flat free tire kit and so far am disappointed. It doesn't seem to maneuver any easier than my stock  plastic wheel, even on packed gravel. The wheels simply don't want to swivel when I try turning left or right. Perhaps I just have too much weight on the front hitch. I have a 2018 Tab 320 CS-S with the spare tire mounted on the front hitch. Anyone else having this issue? Perhaps I have it mounted incorrectly. It swivels freely  on pavement but not on gravel. 
  • Options
    @glan
    Thats exactly what I found out. I have since gone back to a single 6” ball bearing Urethane wheel I found at HF. In soft gravel or dirt I use a couple plastic jack pads like this.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    sharfiesharfie Member Posts: 7
    @Dalehelman
    Did you buy the wheel already mounted? I went on the HF website and could not find that wheel. And, where did you find the orange pads?
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 934
    The original pneumatic jockey wheel on our 2009 T@B has an axel offset from the pivot greater than the radius of the tire.  This "caster" makes the wheel swivel readily whenever any side force is applied.  IMO, most of the posts I've seen on retrofitting a wheel to the jack post seem to lack adequate caster in the design for easy pivoting. 

Have fun!!

• Options
    You are correct HF doesn’t show it on their website. Here is the same wheel except with a swivel instead of a rigid caster. In unfortunately it’s 4 times the price. If you have a HF store I would check their inventory. The jack pads can be found at most RV stores or Amazon.

Service Caster Brand 6 Inch Heavy Duty Swivel Caster Wheel Polyurethane Wheel – 900lbs./Caster – Swivel Plate Caster with Roller Bearing
    by Service Caster Corporation
    Learn more: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07HGC1N37/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_imm_awdb_0MVGKGR62YCZ7Q63JTDY
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    sharfiesharfie Member Posts: 7
    @Dalehelman Thanks for the information and pardon my lack of knowledge but, is there a way to use this on our jockey wheel set ups? I have a 2018 320 and i can't see how the caster in the link would attach.
  • Options
    Just take the wheel off by removing the 1/2” bolt. Then replace the old wheel with the new one using the original swivel mechanism. Using whichever bolt fits best. You do not use the swivel from the new wheel.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun