Options

Before you buy your T@b: Battery life & maintenance

2»

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    sbutzen - I did something similar, same plug but wired directly to the battery (like the Zamp) so my solar port is always available. Keep it coiled up in the propane cover on top of the battery.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited January 2016
    I should add - I also replaced the battery contacts on one of my inverters with that same plug so in addition to hooking up a battery charger direct, I can instead hook the inverter direct. Same cable/connecter can be used for both in and out. By having a seperate cable, I can have the solar charging the battery while using the inverter to charge my toys.
    Of course I only do that once the battery is charged and it's peak solar time.
  • Options
    RaschkoRaschko Member Posts: 22
    sbutzen said:
    For those interested in using a battery tender to keep their T@B battery charged, for simplicity, I purchased this SAE adapter http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AHCWGOO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01 which allows you to plug the battery tender directly into the ZAMP port.  Works 

I have a Renogy 100w briefcase panel. Does anyone know if the above adapter would allow me to  plug into the ZAMP plug without further modifications? 
  • Options
    KferKfer Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone fished a wire inside of the t@b in order to monitor the battery?  We wanted to run the wire from the battery to the kitchen area of our t@b.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    Jenn - I'm running a 12G 3-Wire cord from my inverter to a dedicated outlet inside the T@B.  Thought now would be a good time to put in the battery monitor you have.  Are you still happy with it?
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Kfer said:
    Has anyone fished a wire inside of the t@b in order to monitor the battery?  We wanted to run the wire from the battery to the kitchen area of our t@b.
    I wired directly to the 12 volt system inside the trailer and am getting an accurate LED readout of the battery voltage.  No need fishing any wire into the trailer as the existing syetm wiring is already hooked to the battery.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Kfer said:
    Here you go @Kfer
    OutbackAZ said:
    Jenn - I'm running a 12G 3-Wire cord from my inverter to a dedicated outlet inside the T@B.  Thought now would be a good time to put in the battery monitor you have.  Are you still happy with it?
    Yes, quite happy with it. I love being able to pull up the numbers so easily. I am in the middle of doing my final solar upgrade and just fished a wire through for it's companion MPPT controller monitor.

They also sell a Bluetooth cable for their phone app and direct Usb cable ro dowload data to a PC if you really crunching data.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Jenn - what is the Bluetooth model number for the cable?
  • Options
    OutbackAZ said:
    Jenn - what is the Bluetooth model number for the cable?
    http://baymarinesupply.com/store/victron-bluetooth-dongle.html

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited August 2021
    Well, bluetooth is the way to go. No wires! My Trimetric uses a phone line cable (2 wires are swapped - so it's not an actual phone line). I managed to get it through the area where the gas line feeds into the stove area (then sealed it to keep mousies out!!). Manageable, but a pain.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Ratkity said:
    Well, bluetooth is the way to go. No wires! My Trimetric uses a phone line cable (2 wires are swapped - so it's not an actual phone line). I managed to get it through the area where the gas line feeds into the stove area (then sealed it to keep mousies out!!). Manageable, but a pain.
    FYI, the Bluetooth attaches from a port on the rear of the display, not from shunt to display.

• Options

Jenn - must the Bluetooth sending unit be on the outside of the wall near the display?  If so, it may fall into the "Butt Ugly" category of mods.

• Options
    OutbackAZ said:

Jenn - must the Bluetooth sending unit be on the outside of the wall near the display?  If so, it may fall into the "Butt Ugly" category of mods.

No, it plugs into the rear of the display.

• Options
    A couple of screen shots from their new app.

• Options
    CarolynCarolyn Member Posts: 125
    Jkjenn - How did you select the solar battery keeper that you have? I know you have done lots of research. Is there a big difference between the Coleman and the Goal Zero? Do they both plug directly into the Zamp connector without alteration? Thanks for your input.
    Carolyn
    2014 CS, tie-dyed exterior, "Tabula Rasa" and 2009 T@da also tie-dyed, “Grateful”
  • Options
    Carolyn said:
    Jkjenn - How did you select the solar battery keeper that you have? I know you have done lots of research. Is there a big difference between the Coleman and the Goal Zero? Do they both plug directly into the Zamp connector without alteration? Thanks for your input.
    Carolyn
    I am actually in the middle of implementing my more long term solution. The GZ solution was temporary. I did use a standard SAE connector to the Zamp port. In regards to Coleman, I have no personal experience with it, but I would rather go with a company that specializes in solar, than a company that is likely rebranding someone else's solar panel.

I reached the decision for my current set-up after assessing my needs. My long term needs are to be able to stay charged, off-grid, with significant battery use. I plan to work from my T@b and I need to be able to keep me equipment charged as well as supply power to my wifi and cell phone boosters. Working requires me to be connected to the Internet the entire time I am working, so 8-10 hours a day. Not everyone has the same needs, so take some time and assess your needs. I developed this spreadsheet to help me pinpoint my power usage. You are also welcome to use it. http:///

• Options
    BjreimannBjreimann Member Posts: 12
    Quick question about the battery:  if you have a fully charged battery, and have the battery cut-off switch on, do you need to worry about maintaining the charge between camping trips?  Will the battery lose charge just sitting there if it's not sending juice to the camper?  
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Bjreimann, yes it will lose some voltage, but it will not drain the battery within days. I check mine at least weekly, but mine is sitting in the driveway. If it were sitting in a storage lot, I would still check it at least once a week. 

It's good to check on a regular schedule to verify the voltage is staying above 12.2V.   This chart is a good one to print and keep handy with your T@B paperwork. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    HopsHops Member Posts: 48
    Is pulling the fuse the same as just turning my switch that shuts down the battery energy to the T@b?  Is that switch the same as the "isolator"?

Hops and Cascade
    2017 T@B 320 Max S
    2014 Ford Escape 2.0 EcoBoost
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    @Hops, yes, pulling the fuse at the battery will have the same effect (electrically speaking) as turning the battery cut-off switch.
    I don't specifically know if that's the "isolater" to which you refer, but I'm guessing it is.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    The cut-off switch effectively isolates the battery from the TaB.  I think of it in those terms and often refer to it as isolating the battery.  Glad nuCamp made the switch standard.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Hops said:
    Is pulling the fuse the same as just turning my switch that shuts down the battery energy to the T@b?  Is that switch the same as the "isolator"?

An isolator usually refers to mechanism that cuts off power from the TV to the trailer when the engine is not running to prevent unintentionally killing the TV battery.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    I think that is an isolation/isolator relay.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio