Options

New owner: May freeze tonight

Comments

• Options
    BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    Yup, after a couple of times scurrying in the dark and cold to winterize I learned to winterize early.  RV antifreeze is cheap enough to winterize early  de winterize for a trip and re-winterize several times a year.  
    BigGrover
    2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
    2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    Glider11Glider11 Member Posts: 73
    OK, thank you everyone for your comments.  I spent over 4 hours last night here, there and everywhere, learning just how naïve I am about travel trailers.  Today, I called service dept where I purchased the T@B, and he spent quite a while instructing me. Then I went shopping for stuff.  The trailer is now hooked up to shore electric, the heater is on for the night, though it doesn't look like freezing tonight, and it didn't last night.  I can tell this is going to be a "lifestyle" - i.e. a lot of work!  
  • Options
    T@B is good. It's me that's malfunctioning. lol
  • Options
    Glider, where are you located?
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @Glider11 I feel your pain. There is a learning curve for new trailer owners (my Tab 320S is my first trailer), and my most common technical problems are operator induced! However, things that made little or no sense to me the first season now are old hat so to speak. The assorted mess of lines and flip valves and such under the drivers side rear seat with the Alde made zero sense to me the first year but now it does make sense(mostly...). Driveway camping so you’re close to home, trying every single system and outlet, learning from other owners on this forum will all help you learn to be comfortable with your Tab. Have fun and enjoy the journey!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Thank you, Homebodyatheart.  Yes, most everything makes "no sense" right now, but today's success feels good.  I have a game plan - mainly to not have a life except the trailer. And it knows it - holding me hostage. hahaha.  Anyway, here on the Olympic peninsula in WA State, the winter is temperate, and TEMPERMENTAL, just to keep us guessing and off kilter.  Obviously, I seem to fit right in with the climate. I DID find a very sweet flannel sheet set yesterday, which will go well with my Tinkerbell pillow case, and wool blankie, for some camping perhaps a few days next week before winterizing.  
  • Options
    All right - the temperature isn't rising in the trailer.  I have the manual online, and it's like reading Latin.  I wish it had diagrams/pictures. sigh. So, I guess I need to have the battery disconnect system in the ON position - but where is it? anyone? 
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited November 2018
    In the tub in front of the trailer.  Look in back on the upper right.  Rotary switch.  Turn one way you see a wide slot with green (ON).  I have a vague memory it's clockwise. Maybe. Turn the other way (OFF).  If the power cable to T@B is unplugged, with battery rotated to On position, the lights inside will work, and if you tap the battery monitor button you'll see around 12-13V. 

By the way, don't just unplug the camper with the Alde turned on.  Some folks have blown a fuse if they plug it back in and the Alde tries to start up before the power is stable.  Or something like that.

Earlier you said you are on shore electric now.  That's good enough to run the Alde if you have propane... but turning rotary switch on will charge that front battery off your shore power. 
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    edited November 2018
    It should be near the battery.  Are you getting an error message?  Look under your bed for the tubing for the Alde and feel if it is warm. Remember it is not like a forced air furnace.  The tubing heats up and radiation heats the air and can take hours to heat the camper if it is really cold out.  If you have a space heater on it will make the alde think its warm and it won't heat.  
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    @Glider11 what year and model is your Tab 320? That helps us give you the correct information. You live in a beautiful part of the State, and there are a lot very active and helpful Tabbers on the wet side and the dry side of the State! I’m on the dry side but lived on the wet side for many years. 😊
    Did you ever determine if you have propane in your tank? You can run the Alde off that, too. An important trick is to open the tank valve VERY slowly all the way so it doesn’t shut down on you. Once you learn the Alde’s quirks I bet you will love it. I’m still working on getting the thermostat correct so what I do is crank the heat up to 75’-80’ then adjust it down when I get warm. Another way to heat the trailer quickly is boil some water on your stove if you have the 320S model. Make sure you’ve got the fan hatch and a window or two cracked open though.  I keep a ceramic heater for winter use when I hide out in it on weekends at home to watch a movie or whatever. Hope this helps!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    If you have shore power you can also run Alde heater off electric.  If when you hit the left button on the Alde and it comes up saying Alde 3010, then if you hit the right Menu button it'll look like the pic below.  Set temperature to 50-60, second row leave off (hit minus button).  Third row with lightning bolt (electric) hit + sign once to go to 1 (not 2).  And fourth row (propane) hit minus to turn off.  Should run off electric from the house fine as long as it's not too low current a house circuit, or too long or thin an extension cord. 

If you want to run propane, set third row to off (-), and set fourth row to on (+).

As BigGrover asked, if you still have error code for Gas Malfunction, either the propane is not turned on at the tank, there's no propane in the tank, or propane is not getting to the Alde.  If that's the case though, you can use setting 1 on electric instead from house shore power just fine. 

• Options
    Glider, I would suggest that you start a thread looking for T@bber near you and find a camping mentor.  As a new RV'er you could save yourself from a lot of trial and error frustration by having someone to call and talk to.  My T@b is actually my 6th RV.  Even with my experience there were many nuances and differences that I had to learn about. While this forum is extremely helpful and folks are very responsive, save yourself some frustration and get in touch with a local T@bber to help you.  I have found that my dealership knows less about my T@b than I do so I would find an experienced owner.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    edited November 2018

• Options
    Mind boggling, isn't it?  I told the manager of the dealership today that as I'm going through this learning stuff I'm going to write a beginners booklet and sell it on this forum. Just blowing off steam.  I can't find the 2018 manual online, only 2017.
  • Options
    Thanks Doug H. Great information.  I get the panel. It's the consecutive steps that I'm having to figure out.  For instance, is their a switch/knob (s) that needs to be turned on/off?  where is it? I did find, in the Alde guide, one knob in a panel that can be rotated for high/low, but it's dark and Ill wait until AM. The trailer seems to be slowly warming. I need just enough to keep the water lines from freezing.  I haven't used the dark and gray yet, so no worries there, that I know of.  hmmm but the dealership tech did turn on the sink so... I better drain that thing. OMG. I'm typing "out loud". 
  • Options
    I got a 2018    320s 
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    We got a 400 thst's been something of a lemon.  Part of the problem has been poor dealer kmowledge and poor dealer support.  As an experienced RV'er the manual, while not perfect, was better than what I had with my other 5 RV's.  I think that the manufacturer:s expectations are that the dealership adequately explain and educate the buyer.  This just does not happen.  Compared to other manufacturer s T@bs are somewhat unique.  If you get a good one you are gold but as in my situation, if you don't, well I am waiting to see. IMHOP They need to sell only through T@b knowledgeable dealers with good customer training program s.

BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    Doug H... rotary switch, ok.  I won't go out tonight to find it, unless you think it's imperative.  My brain can't hold so much info tonight
  • Options
    Home... propane - I did a booboo, since the tank they gave me was empty, I set up the one I have used on my Coleman stove camping. that's a definite no-no I learned. So today I got the empty one filled, and have it attached, but not running. Ran out of daylight. so just using shore electric. hope I did that right.  Yes, I just tonight dipped into the forum's groups, and this traveling around the country and Canada looks spectacular!  I"ve wanted to travel the US, but alone... you know. So, now, NOT ALONE! Yeah! so excited to really take off this coming spring. 
  • Options
    Big Grover. I hear you! I'm at an age, not afraid to speak up, nicely. Not perfect, I don't expect it in others, but do expect decency and honesty.  Even though I spent hours and days/weeks deciding which kind of trailer to buy, I still had no clue how complicated travelers trailers are.  Nothing like horse trailers and camping - but that's another set of complaints. LOL.  (hard physical work)  
  • Options
    Yup, just months away from being a septagenarian, this was our Retirement gift to ourselves.  At this point we are mot so sure we made the right choice.  Did our homework, searched the internet.  Used our experiences from the other 5 rv's we owned and pulled the trigger. You see others posting about how great their T@b is and believe you will have the same experience but POW! Not so!. Been in touch with the CEO but still working out the details.  He has been very quick to respond and offering options but none that won't ultimately cost me money or travel costs at this point.  Not being negative or derogatory here.  Just stating the facts and positively don't think any other Mfr's CEO would respond as Mr. Hubble has.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    @Glider11 I just had a “DUH” moment... He’s probably off tomorrow but Monday(or when convenient) call Phil at Apache RV in Poulsbo. I had him come share at last years Lincoln Rock gathering and he does know his Tabs, plus he’s a nice guy to work with! 
     (360) 329-7603  =)

Back to the Alde, yes it is slow to heat as it provides radiant heat, but once the inside warms up it should stay toasty warm! Make sure you don’t have any blankets or anything hanging down over the passenger side bench as a lot of your heat comes out just under the seat cushion on the top of the vertical panel up from the floor. 
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    @Glider11 it appears you bought new from the dealer - the trailer should have come with a bag from nuCamp filled with manuals for the various components. The T@B manual is on a USB stick with a bottle opener on the other end. And yes, it says 2017. I was told they don't update it every year. Someone in one of the Facebook groups posted a link to a 2019 version, but I don't know if it's official. I did notice some corrections to the 2017 version. Attached here.

The dealer should have given you a full propane tank so shame on them.

Did you find the battery switch knob next to the battery in the front tub? You need to have it turned to green to charge the battery. If you were trying to use the Alde on propane, it requires battery power so the knob would also need to be on.

The Alde on electric works well for me. If plugged in at home to a regular outlet, then select level 1 (electric) on the Alde panel. Just like at home, turn up the heat so it clicks on. You should hear a click from the Alde under the drivers side seat. Then give it 15 minutes or so. In the beginning I wasn't sure it was working, so would feel of the big black hose under the passenger side seat that feeds the metal fins - if you open the side cabinet door and peer in, you'll see it! It should be warm.

When I've camped in freezing temps, I prop open the bathroom door, open the hatch behind the toilet (that is where the pump is located), and prop open the lower cabinet doors in the kitchen. While I didn't have frozen water, I did have frozen black and gray tanks as the inside heat does nothing for those. I also learned to disconnect the water hose from the trailer. 

ps. the T@B will become your whole life. We don't fight it anymore, we just accept it and sign up for Amazon Prime.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    Interesting that this version of the manual lacks the publication date present on the 2017 version. It is authored by nuCamp's Marvin Raber and there's at least on edit by Marvin in March of 2018, so I'd say it's about as official as you're gonna get. Like T@B's themselves, I suspect the manual is in a constant state of evolution. It's nice that nuCamp is constantly incorporating improvements, though it can be a little challenging when you are trying to figure out which documentation goes with your trailer.
    I'll post this in the "User's Manuals..." along with the 2017 version.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Thanks for the manual info. I cant find that topic on this site's menu, tho.  I'll check my bag again, but the dealer said nuCamp does have hard copies, and didn't mention the usb.  I have an email to Ohio, but so far incomplete answers from rep, and no phone # to all. Yes, disappointed in the propane tank not filled. The dealer manager was a bit upset later that he'd agreed to my negotiating price for the 2018 So then he was reluctant for usual service to and care of a  newbie, I perceived.  However, the service dept. seems very good. I think i'll give up on the idea of camping now - January, and get it winterized, as the temp is going to reach below freezing for several days next week, and my lack of skills dictates playing it safe. Thanks again, friends. 
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Glider11, thanks for the update on your progress. Many of us were concerned how you were handling this (first time) stressful situation. Next winter it will be so much easier and by the third time you'll breeze through everything. We just had to winterize on the road (read stranded, if you get the chance) at altitude (7,000 ft) and the trailer, components, and us managed through the ordeal well. We had to continue living in the trailer 2 more weeks after that using many of the techniques we learned here on the forum. Thanks, everyone.

We learned a lesson our first winter. Although we blew the lines with air and disconnected the water pump, apparently there was enough water left in the toilet valve assembly (inside the toilet itself) to freeze and split the valve. This has happened to others here. Pay particular attention to that area. The repair is straightforward, and not too pricey when you do it yourself, but I wish I had made a how-to video of my not too flexible, geriatric, 6' husband creating his very own untried, unheard of yoga moves in the t@b bathroom to accomplish the replacement!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    RV antifreeze is cheap and a pretty surefire method.  I have heard about a lot of people using air and doing ok but a high percentage seem to have problems. I would be ok using air to blow out excess antfreeze after winterizing with it just to lower the amount sitting in the pipes.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    I can tell you, if you follow the Winterization tutorial under Manuals, and by closing all outlets and opening your drains, taps and toilet one at a time under pressure, your lines and toilet plumbing will be dry.  I was amazed at how efficient our little, limited power 12 volt compressor accomplished the job.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM ; When I saw you mention that 12V compressor approach in another thread, I rushed to Amazon to buy a Camco Schrader valve blowout thing-a-ma-bob.  Great idea for emergency winterization. I've been using a regular compressor all this time, but better safe than sorry with a sudden November freeze on the road. Do you find a 12V gives you enough air flow, and how long did you let the air and water dribbles flow out of each tap?  Do you blow it out with a garage compressor once home again?

• Options
    @DougH we used a small 12v compressor this fall and just did each valve/line till it was pretty much all air. 
    @Glider11 NuCamp likes owner feedback on dealers and how you were treated. They know the dealers are their local connection and want great service. They are happy to work training dealers so the customer gets quality care!