Anyone using the Curt Echo Mobile Trailer Brake Controller?

LehfeldtLehfeldt Member Posts: 20
edited December 2018 in Trailer & Towing
Hi hivemind -- I came across this wireless brake controller made by Curt. I searched for this on this Forum, and can't believe no one has mentioned using it? It appears to be an alternative to the Tenosha Brake Controller. I just got a new RV, the 2019 Honda Ridgeline which already comes with a towing package.

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Honda/Ridgeline/2019/C51180.html?vehicleid=201983209

Pros and cons?

Thanks in advance, Chris
2016 T@B Max Q
Human: Christopher Lehfeldt T@B: 2016 Max Q named "atT@Boy" TV: 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E HQ: Rochester, NY

Comments

• mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    i have the tekonsha RF one, similar priced..   i wish this one was available when i was buying mine.   rather not drill stuff into the frame.   this unit seem to allow this and and you can move it to your next trailer must easier.     but the downside i see to this one is that you might want to have separate phone for this, as i like to use my phone for GPS.      
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    Looks promising! Thanks!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    If you already have a factory tow package, hooking up a wired brake controller might be a simple plug-n-play process (though you may need to buy a connector specific to your vehicle). I'm not sure about Hondas, but that's how it worked on my Nissan.
    I'm not sure if wireless controllers have other advantages, but owners sometimes go that route to avoid the need to install additional wiring in their vehicle.
    2015 T@B S
  • lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 731
    edited December 2018
    Like ScottG, I also have a Nissan with a tow pkg & Tekonsha, which was a simple plug & play into the wiring plug up underneath my dash with the correct, vehicle specific plug. 
    I guess my question/concern with this wireless one would be 1.  looks like it could be easily stolen off your vehicle, whereas the Tekonsha is inside your vehicle and 2.  What happens if your phone loses signal, which happens often here in the mountains of Colorado?  You just lose your brakes on the trailer?  Another big concern if you're doing mountain driving.

2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    I am going to assume that this works very similar to the Tekonsha RF unit that is also wireless.  when the handheld unit become disconnected the unit applies the last brake setting.  as the unit on the trailer is the one holding the setting.     I am so glad that manufacturer are thinking outside the box with different way to had brake controller
  • lwallaclwallac Member Posts: 1
    We just purchased a 2015 T@B Q in Everett WA and drove it back to Sonoma-was going to get the Prodigy brake controller then was shown the Curt Echo worked great! It is bluetooth and we never lost connection on whole trip have a 2008 Lexus rx 350 with aftermarket trailer package installed and everything worked great highly recommend!
  • tphaggertytphaggerty Member Posts: 48
    Just picked up our new tab 400 and drove 200 miles with the Curt controller on our sienna. Worked great! The  only thing the app is used for is setting the current profile, seeing the brake application, manual brake application and adjusting/selecting the current brake profile. The link is Bluetooth, so it doesn’t depend on getting cell service at all. Even if you lose connection to the controller, it still works, you just won’t see how it is working. Even if you don’t have a connected phone when you plug it in, it will default to the last braking profile used. 

i had the tech ride with me when we set up the Curt and he was very impressed.  They sell and install the Prodigy RF. It does hang out a ways, I don’t think it will ever fall out, but I may rig a safety harness of some sort anyway.  Nice option if you have multiple tow vehicles, happy with it so far. 
    2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL TV
    2018 T@B 400, 300Ah Renogy LiFePo batteries, 350W Renogy rooftop solar
    Poughquag, NY
  • MewcycleMewcycle Member Posts: 20
    Just picked up our new tab 400 and drove 200 miles with the Curt controller on our sienna. Worked great! The  only thing the app is used for is setting the current profile, seeing the brake application, manual brake application and adjusting/selecting the current brake profile. The link is Bluetooth, so it doesn’t depend on getting cell service at all. Even if you lose connection to the controller, it still works, you just won’t see how it is working. Even if you don’t have a connected phone when you plug it in, it will default to the last braking profile used. 

i had the tech ride with me when we set up the Curt and he was very impressed.  They sell and install the Prodigy RF. It does hang out a ways, I don’t think it will ever fall out, but I may rig a safety harness of some sort anyway.  Nice option if you have multiple tow vehicles, happy with it so far. 
    I'm using the echo. The first time we took it for a spin, it jiggled loose and lost connection. Now we use a couple small bungee cords to hold it in place and haven't had an issue. I am still trying to get the settings right. It's a bit grabby at slow speeds. Otherwise, love it.
    2014 T@B Max S
    2018 GMC Canyon
    Texas Hill Country
  • brypettitbrypettit Member Posts: 1
    For those using the Curt Echo, what output and sensitivity settings are you typically using? I haven’t had a chance to do the recommended setup yet, but I’ve had trailer brakes locking up with both my t@b 320s and a similarly weighted flatbed trailer I borrowed. Default when I plug it in is 32 output and 5 sensitivity; dialing it down as far as possible was still locking up the flatbed’s brakes at low-to-stopping speed. Dialing it lower with the t@b still seems like it’s biting real hard. I was assuming I needed to check the t@b’s brakes out, but the flatbed similarly misbehaving has me wondering if something’s weird with the controller. 

It also seems like the brake application lags, which is especially terrifying when the trailer brakes lock up unexpectedly in town and continue to drag for a few seconds even after you lift off the brake pedal. 
  • rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 178
    I used one when picked up my TAB for 1st time. Came loose and is road rash ruined. Anyone do anything to keep that from happening?
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited July 2020
    The Echo has a locking tab, which is engaged on the 7-pin lift cover and secures it in place.  The Echo has a similar setup to latch the trailer 7-pin plug.  The setup does add some length to the connection, but I towed out TaB400 150 mikes down coast mountain roads, no issue, worked great.  Also towed the TaB over a dirt, poorly maintained access road, which was a test for it staying put, again, no issues.  Also towed it again over the coastal range, two-lane roads, then highway driving at 60pmh.  No issues.  

The brake action, once adjusted stayed set, no noticeable lag, and everything worked as expected.  You do need to be sure the cover latches set correctly.  One could add a Velcro strap around the cover and Echo controller to keep it latch engaged.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    Thanks, good idea. Have to get another one and will do that since first one ruined. 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
  • tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 423
    Lehfeldt said:
    Pros and cons?

Thanks in advance, Chris
    2016 T@B Max Q
    The most obvious is price. If you only operate one TV and since it's pre-wired all you need is a basic $75.00 Tekonsha Primus to do the job...….blue tooth, RF and phone apps seem like an awful lot of extra and non-essential complication. 
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    We did not want to screw anything into our dash, so the RF Tekonsha Prodigy works well for us.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    We did not want to screw anything into our dash, so the RF Tekonsha Prodigy works well for us.  
    When the hand held unit on yours failed did the unit continue to work? It should default to the last settings but what if you need to interact with it? What is the fallback from that other than a replacement unit.
    When our handheld unit failed, it defaulted to the current brake setting.  It is not recommended to use the boost feature on our small trailers, so there was no reason to interact with the device.  The fallback is that the brakes continue to work until the handheld is replaced.  
    Kudos to Curt Manufacturing! I got a Curt Wireless Echo Brake Controller and it popped out on way home from picking up my TAB in AR. Road rash scrapped the end at a 45 degree angle. They're sending me another one. Love the Echo but I need to come up with something to hold it in place unless some of you have already come up with a solution. The tech at Curt told me they are coming out with a modified one soon. Happy I didn't have a buy a new one!
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Sees my post above.  Do you have a door over your 7-pin connector on your TV?  If so, it would have a little latch on it to engage the tab on the top of the Echo unit.  Once latched, mine stays put, even on rough unpaved roads.  A Velcro strap around the Echo and lug door would keep it secured also.
    cheers
    @rcarlson1957 - our RF Prodigy plugs into the TV 7 pin as well.  I had the hardest time placing it so that the hatch held it in place.  I finally figured out that you need to approach the outlet On an angle with the front of the plug higher and then it completely seats itself in the TV 7 pin outlet secured by the “hatch”.
    edited July 2020
    It’s weird, had the door closed over it plus I have an anti-rattle device too. Some advised using tie wraps. 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    But did the door click and lock into place on the Echo tab.  A strap is not going to help, if your 7-pin door/cover does not lock on the Echo unit.
    cheers
    Yes @Sharon_is_SAM it's definitely not advisable/safe to use the boost when the trailer weighs less than the TV. Thanks for pointing that out. The question was about being able to toggle just the trailer brakes if you find yourself in a situation where the trailer has started to sway or shuffle about and you are not able (for whatever reasons) to apply the TV brakes. In that case you can toggle the trailer brakes with the controller. Hopefully you won't ever encounter that situation but when you do, you'll be glad that the trailer can be stabilized that way.
    Yes, this is the only reason to have app up an running when towing.  You can also see how much trailer braking is being applied.
    cheers
  • BonalexanderBonalexander Member Posts: 26
    @1bentbike this was hugely helpful regarding the Curt Echo!
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    tabiphile said:
    F = 1 - R
    What does this mean?
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Force equals 1 minus Resistance?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    edited July 2020
    Verna said:
    Force equals 1 minus Resistance?
    Same question, what does that mean? It's not an equation I've ever hear of.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
    edited July 2020
    In context the discussion was about the increased probability of failure when there are more elements in the system. In every system each subsystem has a probability of failure and a measure of reliability. The more complex a system becomes, the higher the probability of failure and the lower the reliability. 
    The discussion was about the Curt and then the wireless Tekonsha brake controllers. 
    A simple wired in unit (the Tekonsha Primus as one example) is a self contained unit. It's reliability (R) is whatever the reliability of that single unit is. 
    When you consider the Tekonsha  Prodigy the likelihood of failure (F) must also take into consideration of the reliability of the handheld unit. Each unit has a probability of failure. The expected reliability of that "system" will be less than a single unit (as in the Primus). 
    By design a wireless unit with two components is less reliable than a one unit hardwired system. The discussion was what do you do with a Prodigy to engage the emergency braking if the handheld unit fails. The answer was that this feature cannot be used.
    But, the trailer control module will continue to app,y the trailer brakes when the TV brakes are applied, the in cab control unit is not used for normal braking.  But, you will be unable to control the trailer brakes directly from the in cab control head.

This is where the Kurt Echo has an advantage over the Prodigy unit, you can use any smart phone for the control program, so having two phones setup, but only one in use at a time, gives you a redundancy system in the cab.  If one phone fails, switch on and connect the second phone. 
    Cheers