Are Mice an Issue?

DanLDanL Member Posts: 18
Hello fellow Nucamp owners.    I am new to this whole rv world.    I am wondering if mice getting into the Tab 400 is a common problem.    My dealer is trying to sell me the Diamond Kote Mouse Shield undercoating which is supposed to seal any holes where mice can get in and also has a deterrent for mice built into the coating.    Has anyone had this done?     Has anyone had a mouse problem with a Tab 400?    I’m wondering how well they are sealed underneath.     Thanks!!
2019 Jeep Cherokee pulling a 2018 T@b 400.
Victoria, British Columbia.

Comments

• Mariner459Mariner459 Member Posts: 146
    We also closed our camper up for the winter with an open coffee cup on the floor filled with cotton balls soaked with pure peppermint essential oil.....to repel vermin.  And when we periodically check inside, it smells divine.
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @DanL, we own a 2017 320 S. It is stored in our open back yard. We have never had any intrusion, vermin, insect or otherwise. Nücamp build quality usually would usually preclude those kind of problems. An annual check for loose screws, or a spot of bad caulking is a great preventative measure. Good luck.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited December 2018
    We bought a 400 back in August and owned a 320 T@B that we had for two years.   I have a 100 year old barn that I have used to store both trailers in that has mice in it.  We have never had any mice infiltrate either trailer.  I did buy some stainless Brillo pads and got under the 320 and tucked it into voids near the rear of the trailer a few years ago when some members said there was an open void area at the rear of the trailer but never have had any problems whatsoever.  

And funny that that you happened to ask the question because this year starting with the onset of cold weather I did start setting up mouse traps in the barn and to date I have caught 23 mice and about three shrews.   I bought the Tomcat mouse traps from Home Depot and they are very effective when you apply a small amount of peanut butter on them.  I’m sure I’ve affected a few generations of mice!   =)  I think that the old saying, “an ounce of protection is worth a pound of cure” is appropriate and that any preventative measure taken is worthy of the cause.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Diamond Coat Mouse Shield = Dealer $$$$. Save your money and use some Brillo pad stainless stuffing if you find any gaps.  And make sure there is no food residue in your TaB.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    We've never had a mouse infiltration problem either. We did as Mike did, using stainless steel scrubby pads in any attractive openings (there were some openings into the trim).

I heard a rumor that mice are attracted to heat leaks in a house, so keeping your Tab's heat off in storage might be prudent!

We've had Chipmunks set up a lunchroom in the battery box, and learned that, contrary to popular opinion, they do like Irish Spring Soap - they chewed on it! But I glued some stainless steel scrubby material in there and they left.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    edited December 2018
    Check out this thread--one of my first questions when I joined the forum!
    I can't speak for the 400, but I've scoured every hidden inch of the 320 and there's no evident mouse entry points. I live in Mouseville and haven't had any issues in three (going on four) seasons. The T@B is parked outside under cover and unheated.

2015 T@B S
  • BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    That's just a rip off money maker for the dealer.  Kind of like the old dealer prep fee on new cars whete they charged $500 for a Simonize and Scotchguard treatment.  
    BigGrover
    2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
    2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
    Central Alabama
  • DanLDanL Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for all the comments.    They are very helpful.   I love this forum.   :)
    2019 Jeep Cherokee pulling a 2018 T@b 400.
    Victoria, British Columbia.
  • DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    edited December 2018
    The 400 has four large oval holes in the frame which I covered with Lexan covers which I used high strength double sided tape to attach.  I previously read a thread in which it was noted Mandy Lea had an issue with a gopher going in her trailer via the frame holes.  I thought while gophers may not be an issue mice, squirrels and chipmunks might be.  I also used stainless steel wool in the diaper area along with Irish spring soap and dryer sheets throughout the inside.
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
    How do the holes in the frame ultimately lead to the inside of the camper? I'm not connecting the dots here...
    2015 T@B S
    edited December 2018
    The holes in the frame would provide a possible nesting area for the critters and which might cause possible damage.  I prefer to eliminate any possible preventable access and while I was blocking small holes with the stainless steel wool I thought the 4 x 8 inch holes into the underbelly might be problematic.  I have stored many air cooled tools (mowers, snowblowers) and my vintage VW Bug in outside storage and have had varied success in preventing damage. So I am probably overdoing it but I would rather not have to repair my new 400 if I can prevent it. 
    I only want invited guests in my Tab.
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
    edited December 2018
    Ahhh, got it! My 2015 320 doesn't have the enclosed underbelly like newer models (and presumably the 400) so that's not an issue in my case.
    On a related note, I do stuff copper mesh into the open lower ends of the plastic trim (as Michigan_Mike and ChanW mentioned above). While a critter couldn't get into the cabin through there, the hollow space behind the trim might be a nice tunnel for nesting. Looks like the 400 has the same decorative trim.
    2015 T@B S
    The enclosed underbelly is a great feature on the 400 just didn’t want it to become a “vermin hostel” over the New England winter or a hideaway for hitchhiker pests while camping. I chose to block the holes in the rear trim also (with Stainless steel wool) to make the 400 less inviting. 
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
    Yep, that Irish Spring Soap will keep em coming back for more! I think they brush their teeth with it! The Chipmunks in our neighborhood certainly like it.
    DenisP said:
    .....I also used stainless steel wool in the diaper area along with Irish spring soap and dryer sheets throughout the inside.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Me_and_My_DogMe_and_My_Dog Member Posts: 184
    After 18 months in campgrounds from coast to coast to coast, I have not gotten any rodents in my 2007 T@B. However, I did get mice in my 2014 Dodge Durango. 
    Katt and Miss Cannoli the Zen Dog
    2008 DM T@DA — Towed by 2014 Dodge Durango — Full time since 6/29/17
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Katt, where were you when you picked up the mice?  I know out west there are packrat problems with chewing electrical wires.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Me_and_My_DogMe_and_My_Dog Member Posts: 184
    Katt, where were you when you picked up the mice?  I know out west there are packrat problems with chewing electrical wires.
    Yes, I was at 7,000 feet elevation in Idyllwild, in Southern California. I heard that some manufacturers used soy to make the coverings on the wires, and thus the rodents chewed them up. There have been massive lawsuits. In my case, it was dog kibble that fell on the floor. I found a nest in my spare tire compartment, and a pantry of kibble stores inside some blankets. I studied the topic and found out there is a small intake tube for the AC unit where mice can get in the vehicle. I hired a mechanic to clean out all my AC system, and put a small screen over the intake. Plus I installed an electronic mice repeller that is wired to the battery under the hood. For a while I was running lights under the vehicle at night, and lifting the hood when I came back to camp at night lest they be attracted by the warmth. I also put Bounce dryer sheets all around. So far, so good.

Katt and Miss Cannoli the Zen Dog
    2008 DM T@DA — Towed by 2014 Dodge Durango — Full time since 6/29/17
    "Travels With The Tiny"
    edited December 2018
    Yep. I said the T@B appears to be sealed up tight. Vehicles are another story. I've had them in spare tire wells, engine airboxes, cabin air filters, and even inside. Fortunately, they've never done any significant damage, though a chewed up engine air filter once disintegrated and promptly clogged my "mass airflow sensor" causing a shutdown.
    The cabin air filters commonly found on newer vehicles are particularly attractive nesting spots. Both my current vehicles have gaping holes in the firewall that lead to the filter which sits atop the blower fan. Mice get into the space under the cowl (where the wiper motor is) through voids behind the fenders, then it's an easy hop down into the cozy ventilation system. (This may be the same opening @Me_and_My_Dog talks about above.)
    On most vehicles, setting the climate control system to "recirculate" before you shut down will close off that opening. However, utterly unconvinced I would remember to do that every time I parked, I opted to remove the cowl and install some 1/4" hardware cloth over the openings.
    Why the auto makers don't do this in the first place is beyond me. The entry point is so obvious and accessible I'm convinced it's part of a conspiracy to sell cabin air filters!

2015 T@B S
    An interesting scientific approach to Irish Spring’s effectiveness in rodent control: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IhQjxTwQdpk  .  Suffice it to say I am going to remove it from my 400 tomorrow.  They can buy their own toothpaste. 

2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    The LoHo channel did a great video using all the non-poison, deterrents for a sudden mouse problem while camping in a Federal land. Nothing worked. Not dryer sheets, irish spring... the video was hysterical. They finally found where the mice were getting in. The Feds said to release the mice so they don't crawl back in, they had to drive at least 2 miles away. What they ended up doing was putting sticky traps on the edges of the mouse pathways. As soon as one was stuck, they'd use vegetable oil to release the cute rodent (not my opinion) into a bucket and drive the little Federally protected animal around 2-3 miles away.

My neighbor's minivan was parked a WEEK without use and squirrels got into her wiring while the van was garaged. Not many people here in the city have garages. $800 worth of wiring. The local FWS people put out traps and relocated the things. Now I know why.... soy coatings??

My motorcycle mechanic, camper friend (and crazy pilot) showed me pictures of what mice do to motorcycles/atvs stored in the area. He gets to the atvs first. Farmers use them a lot there. He once had a motorcycle that would choke out. Then they noticed wasps on the floor. They had fun revving the thing and watching dead wasps come out of the exhaust... a ton of them were blown out. Then they removed the nest. Oh the things you see when you are a mechanic! (his words, not mine).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    Yeah, my old plow truck will sit for months between starts.

Come winter, when I start it, a singed dead mouse or two will usually blow out of the exhaust pipe into the snow...
    Ratkity said:
    The LoHo channel did a great video using all the non-poison, deterrents for a sudden mouse problem while camping in a Federal land. Nothing worked. Not dryer sheets, irish spring... the video was hysterical. They finally found where the mice were getting in. The Feds said to release the mice so they don't crawl back in, they had to drive at least 2 miles away. What they ended up doing was putting sticky traps on the edges of the mouse pathways. As soon as one was stuck, they'd use vegetable oil to release the cute rodent (not my opinion) into a bucket and drive the little Federally protected animal around 2-3 miles away.

My neighbor's minivan was parked a WEEK without use and squirrels got into her wiring while the van was garaged. Not many people here in the city have garages. $800 worth of wiring. The local FWS people put out traps and relocated the things. Now I know why.... soy coatings??

My motorcycle mechanic, camper friend (and crazy pilot) showed me pictures of what mice do to motorcycles/atvs stored in the area. He gets to the atvs first. Farmers use them a lot there. He once had a motorcycle that would choke out. Then they noticed wasps on the floor. They had fun revving the thing and watching dead wasps come out of the exhaust... a ton of them were blown out. Then they removed the nest. Oh the things you see when you are a mechanic! (his words, not mine).

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • SierraSierra Member Posts: 42
    First 9 days in the new 400 and had a mouse in the cabinet and draws under the stove area.  Never had an issue with the old 2006 tab. 
    I see there are quite a few holes in the cabinet. Does anyone know the specific holes I need to stuff with stainless steel? Photos would be great if at all possible. We just picked it up so haven’t had a chance to familiarize ourselves with all the ins and out yet. 

2019 TAB 400 Boondock Lite 
  • kaylevine1kaylevine1 Member Posts: 165
    I live in a wooded area and occasionally have mouse problems-I have kept my t@b sitting in the driveway-I put peppermint oil drops every few months In some small bags that I bought that were mice deterrant came 3 in a package-little burlap bags with some filler in them-open put fresh peppermint oil-pull drawstring closed-I keep one in the underbed storage-one in the low point drains area and one inside the front door under the table-so far so good-fingers crossed
  • kaylevine1kaylevine1 Member Posts: 165
    I have lots of squirrels-we had a squirrel get in the wall at work and chew all the way through the lining at the ceiling\metal roof are-i'm worried about squirrel getting in and doing damage to my t@b 400
  • grubbstergrubbster Member Posts: 114
    I find snakes are a great way to keep mice and squirrels away from things.  It helps for them to be of the poisonous type.   ;)
    2023 F-150 Powerboost hybrid
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    grubbster It is no joke, I live in a very snake region & have even seen one crawl under & up into my T@B! None poison though. I have NO mice! Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Verna & @Michigan_Mike Do you deal with scorpions and/or tarantulas there in the desert? And deer mice with their hantavirus?
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I haven’t had any mouse issues or anything else in the 400.  No snake issues, no pack rats, no scorpions....  Clean as a whistle!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    I would like to know NU Camps thoughts about covering the 4 large ovals in the frame on the 400.  I covered the 2 rear ones with Plastic material like the belly pan.  Found some plastic vent covers designed for gutters and covered the front 2.  I think possibly we might need the ventilation afforded by these vents in case of gas fumes form propane etc.  I can see the possibility or mice or other vermin also.  I think they are mainly in the frame for weight reduction.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
    If maintaining ventilation is a concern, perhaps some "covers" formulated from 1/4" hardware cloth (steel mesh) would do the trick. I installed this in my vehicles to keep mice from getting to and nesting on the cabin air filter.

2015 T@B S