Spare tire mounting?

I’m still at Princess Craft waiting for the last few things to be finished up before I head home with my new 320 CS-S and I spoke with the tech about how low the spare tire is mounted. He said it’s not unusual for them to hit the driveway on the way out of the parking lot and I worry about speed bumps, etc. I’ve opted to just throw it in the back of my Suburban for now, but obviously that’s not a good long term solution. I’ve seen the tongue boxes with side mounts for the tires but they cost a fortune. How have other people handled this? Am I worried over nothing? Should I just go ahead and have it mounted underneath and try not to worry? Thanks!
T@b 320 CS-S, Chevy Suburban

Comments

• RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    I carry mine in the back of the truck. Think about needing to change a flat in the rain on the side of a busy road and having to crawl under the back of the trailer to drop the spare down. No thanks.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    Use the forum search feature . . . several threads on moving spare to front of trailer can be found.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited December 2018
    What MuttonChops just said.  I went with better u-bolts based on yet another recommendation in this always helpful forum:

$15  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HFRZY5G/

...and yup if you don't relocate it you'll scrape on driveways, speed bumps, etc. 
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• JFriedLandJFriedLand Member Posts: 7
    Thank you so much! I’m so glad I opted to leave it off. That sort of looks like something I can do myself, then again it might be better left to someone more handy than me. I really like the way that it sits up front rather than off to the side and it’s certainly a more economical solution than what I found at the teardrop shop. 
    T@b 320 CS-S, Chevy Suburban

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    edited December 2018
    It's probably just about the easiest mod you can make, so don't be afraid to dive in. There are several other discussions on the topic in addition to the one posted above--some installations are a little more AR/professional but the basic concept is the same in all cases. It's a very secure set-up as the tire is supported primarily by the trailer frame, not the the jack tube itself.
    That said, I kept my tire underneath for my entire first season and never had an issue catching anything other than commentary from others. I did look pretty goofy, and I agree that I wouldn't want to be removing it on the side of a road in a rainstorm. YMMV!
    2015 T@B S
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @JFriedLand I bought my bracket on Amazon, used an old mouse pad for cushioning and my local auto shop installed it for free. I’m much happier with it on the tongue now.  

2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • SueDogWalkerSueDogWalker Member Posts: 12
    I just bought my first tab. It's a used 2015 Q. The seller was nice enough to deliver it because I do not have a tow vehicle yet. We couldn't get into my driveway because of the stinkin spare tire. So it now sits in the street until I figure it out.  Just joined this group and it has been priceless.  I now know how to at least get the spare off and options of what to do with it.  Thank you!!  
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @SueDogWalker, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your trailer! Hope your municipality allows your t@b to stay on the street, as mine does not. Hope you find a solution soon.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • SueDogWalkerSueDogWalker Member Posts: 12
    No the city of San Diego doesn't allow it but my neighbors are really nice and said they don't care.  But I want it out of the street.  Hopefully by this weekend I have it all taken care of.  And have a new Toyota Highlander to tow it.  Thanks- 
  • RonRon Member Posts: 137
    Has anyone tried a temporary car spare tire?  Might not hang down as low and the weight on the tire would be similar to a sedan.  Just have to find the correct bolt pattern.  It only has to get you to the next town.  Trailer tires are pretty common.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    I think someone posted that a spare from a  Chevy equinox would fit, but I don’t remember if it was a compact one or not. Most of the ones I found seemed to go for around $75. The wrecking yards know the valve. I wanted to mount our spare up front, but I carry a generator there. I still mounted it up front this way. As long as I don’t jack knife more than 90* I am good. I can still open the lift gate.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • RonRon Member Posts: 137
    Thanks, Dalehelman.  I have a Jeep Wrangler with a tailgate mounted spare.  If I were to mount the spare on the front of the tongue, I would not be able to open the tailgate that swings.  I have the removeable jack that allows me to swing the tailgate open.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 583
    That's a spiffy rack @Dalehelman! Did you post about this mod? Thanks!
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

@dsfdogs
    Yes I am pretty sure I am pretty sure I did somewhere.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    Ok @Dalehelman, I hadn’t thought of putting the spare on the front side and with the crank mod that makes it possible. That leaves room for a bike rack where the spare is now in front of the tub. Hmmmmm.... I love winter mod dreaming! Thanks Dale!  :)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • teztabteztab Member Posts: 99
    Ron said:
    Has anyone tried a temporary car spare tire?  Might not hang down as low and the weight on the tire would be similar to a sedan.  Just have to find the correct bolt pattern.  It only has to get you to the next town.  Trailer tires are pretty common.
    I have a skinny donut spare mounted under the tongue, which is easily accessible on a GM cable hoist.  It is neatly out of the way, yet is easily accessible and has had no negative impact on ground clearance.  I won't go into details here, since I have previously posted on this topic.
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    dsfdogs said:
    That's a spiffy rack @Dalehelman! Did you post about this mod? Thanks!
    @dsfdogs
    Yes I am pretty sure I am pretty sure I did somewhere.
    Yeah, that rack caught my eye, too. Here's the discussion from 2016.
    2015 T@B S
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Hey, @Dalehelman, have you ever weighed your tongue with the configuration shown?
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
    @BrianZ
    Yes I am just under 300, and it tows perfectly even with particularly filled holding tanks. Our Jeep GC has 500lb tongue cap. So know problem there. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • cooper31525cooper31525 Member Posts: 14
    teztab said:
    Ron said:
    I have a skinny donut spare mounted under the tongue, which is easily accessible on a GM cable hoist.  It is neatly out of the way, yet is easily accessible and has had no negative impact on ground clearance.  I won't go into details here, since I have previously posted on this topic.
    I love this mod.  It seems like this is a perfect solution.  @teztab, is there any chance you have the pertinent ordering information for the spare and the hoist?  I had been carrying thr spare in the bed of my truck but I have an SUV now and I’m looking for a new place to store the spare.
    teztab said:
    Ron said:
    Well, after doing more reading I learned that not all T@B bolt patterns are the same so your ordering info might not help after all.  Thanks anyway.
  • teztabteztab Member Posts: 99
    Ok, @cooper31525 , I simply measured the bolt pattern of my 2018 T@b wheels, then did a lot of cross-referencing to find a wheel that would fit.  If I remember correctly, my donut came from a Chevy Equinox.  I did not realise other 320s can have different bolt patterns, but hope you have good luck with yours. 
    teztab said:
    Ok, @cooper31525 , I simply measured the bolt pattern of my 2018 T@b wheels, then did a lot of cross-referencing to find a wheel that would fit.  If I remember correctly, my donut came from a Chevy Equinox.  I did not realise other 320s can have different bolt patterns, but hope you have good luck with yours. 
    Great, thank you.
  • I carry mine in the back of the truck. Think about needing to change a flat in the rain on the side of a busy road and having to crawl under the back of the trailer to drop the spare down. No thanks.
    That's where I keep mine.  Its a factory wheel assembly, but the spare is under the tongue as a backup/backup.
     2019 Tab 400 Boondock Lite (no AC filter access panel)