Options

2018 Nucamp Solar Package?

13»

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,440
    Thanks, @jkjenn. A simple set-up using the parallel configuration was what I was thinking.
    There is a practical element to my question. I often camp in shady sites where locations for good exposure change during the day. I've dabbled with the idea of a second portable (wired in parallel to the first and fed through a single controller) placed in a different location that the first, the idea being that when I wasn't there to move things around, each would catch optimum sun at different times.
    However, even this relatively simple set-up might be more trouble than I'm willing to go through. I've managed so far with the one panel, but if it were to become an issue I'm more inclined toward your suggestion of a larger/spare battery.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    CoolparrotCoolparrot Member Posts: 18
    I ended up installing my own system using a 160W Renogy flexible panel and a Victron 75/15 mppt smart controller. I also added a victron battery monitor and networked to together with the controller. Then I added the EPS dual battery conversion kit so my power storage is double snd I have 160 amp hours with 2 group 24s. Its all setup now but just haven't had a chance to use the trailer yet so I'll post the performance results as soon as I can. The install went well and I'm pretty happy with the end result.

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @ScottG  most of the solar controllers have an amp volt rating   12 volts 50 amps or 24 volt 50 amps.    Just make sure you aren't exceeding that rating and you will be fine.      

a portable solution makes the most sense to me.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,440
    Cbusguy said:
    @ScottG  most of the solar controllers have an amp volt rating   12 volts 50 amps or 24 volt 50 amps.    Just make sure you aren't exceeding that rating and you will be fine.      

a portable solution makes the most sense to me.
    Yep, I would have to update my current controller if I added even another 100W panel. My current controller is a PWM only rated for 10A. Thusfar it has worked for what I need.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @ScottG  not really,  you could just remember to throw a blanket over the one on the trailer,   wouldn't even need to fully cover it.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods