Options

Bike rack

saw this ad in trailer life magazine. Google "limppert bike rack."

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    Lippert components "jack-it"
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    RlethbriRlethbri Member Posts: 38
    Do you think it would fit a 2016 Outback.  It looks like it goes 'over' the jack.  Has anyone used this yet? 
    Sun Valley Idaho living, 2 restaurants, 2 labs, 1 helluva wife! 2016 T@B Max-S Outback towed by. 2007 Toyota FJ Crusier
  • Options
    jasinjasin Member Posts: 8
    I just installed the jack-it on my 2016 Outback.

To install, remove the tongue jack, set the rack base in place, insert the jack through the base, and secure with the included long bolts. The rack does not interfere with the tongue jack crank.

I only have 1 bike, but this can easily hold 2 bikes. The "Y" portion of the rack angles back about 4 inches from the tongue. The propane box should still be accessible when a bike is on the trailer side of the "Y" arms.

2016 Outback MAX S, 2014 Ford F-150 FX4

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Just to be clear, the Jack is on the T@B - Correct?
  • Options
    jasinjasin Member Posts: 8
    Yes, it's on the T@B. Here's a pic of the base.

2016 Outback MAX S, 2014 Ford F-150 FX4

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    This unit is much different than the one on their website.  No drilling into the frame with this one.  Thanks for posting the pictures.
  • Options
    DockguyDockguy Member Posts: 14
    I like the JACK It bike rack.  I was thinking of using a Curtis double hitch which has a section to put a 2 inch ball on the bottom to tow the trailer and above the hitch ball is another  2 " hitch to put a bike rack in.  Has anyone out there used one of these 2 hitch set-ups to carry bikes and tow there T@B at the same time ?

Thanks - Dockguy
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 923
    edited April 2017
    I have had good results with a hitch mounted version of the bike rack portion called a "SportWing" bile rack. 

The Jack-it seems like a good solution for trailer mounting the same rack. 
    A local RV dealer has the Jack-it on display and in stock.  If your curious you might 
    want to look local.

• Options
    texasaubiefantexasaubiefan Member Posts: 62
    I opted for Yakima  rack that mounted to my TV.   I wanted something that wasn't specific to when I camped.  I use mine for every day use and when I hook up my tab.  Think about you use case before buying.  
    2017 T@B 320-S, Sofitel (M@bel)
    Mabel is my great grandmother that I never knew.  She took her 3 sons (ages 8-2) on an epic adventure from Alabama to Florida in the 1930's in the back of a pick up truck.  I named my female English springer spaniel after my mother.  Might as well go for broke with the brownie points in Heaven!   
    TV: 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew 
    David & Jill, Houston, TX
  • Options
    rtolanrtolan Member Posts: 23
    It looks like the Sport Wing goes into the hitch perpendicularly while the Jack-it requires a vertical bike rack. It would be nice to have the bike rack work for both the car or trailer so you could use it either way depending on whether you are camping or just using the car. Is there an adaptor that would make this possible?
  • Options
    gophergradgophergrad Member Posts: 115
    texasaubiefan I've been thinking of the same thing -  just using my current bike rack on the TV.  Have you experience any issues?
    2017 CS-S Max (Silver & Yellow), TV 2019 Ram 1500
    Camping under the Big Sky
  • Options
    jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 72
    I tried the Jack-it and returned it. Didn't like how it has to be installed on top of bolts. There are bolts on the A frame that were in the way.

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

• Options
    DINDAnLANDINDAnLAN Member Posts: 75
    edited June 2017
    I use this item, MaxxHaul 70070 Dual Hitch Extension - 4000 lbs. GTW Capacity,      , with my current bike rack when I pull my T@B. When not camping the rack can be used in the standard setup in my hitch. I have not had any issues either way.
    Linda & Dan
    Cleveland, Ohio
    2018 Ford F150 XLT pulling a 2020 T@B 400
    LIFE IS GOOD!
  • Options
    gkillmastergkillmaster Member Posts: 89
    Looking for a bike rack solution in 2019. Would love to hear from you all about good solid choices. I have to bikes to carry.

many thanks!

Greg
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    edited April 2019
    If you haven’t done so already, search on “bike rack” in the search field in the upper right. As you can imagine, there are many threads with photos. There are different types to accommodate your tow vehicle’s rear hatch, trunk, tailgate etc.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    edited April 2019
    jgram2 said:
    If you haven’t done so already, search on “bike rack” in the search field in the upper right. As you can imagine, there are many threads with photos.
    o yeh, I see. thanks. that pulled up a lot more. I thought I had done that, but I actually did a google search instead.
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    I searched and found several from March and April of this year. Maybe try again?
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    We understand...  Searching here can be difficult.   Lots of info here for sure.  We all want to help.  Many questions have been answered before, hence the earlier advice.  Older dated posts do not mean outdated ideas...
    Here is what I went with after watching a vid from Mandy.

https://mandyleaphoto.com/2017/11/26/a-bike-rack-solution/
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    TerryV6 said:
    We understand...  Searching here can be difficult.   Lots of info here for sure.  We all want to help.  Many questions have been answered before, hence the earlier advice.  Older dated posts do not mean outdated ideas...
    Here is what I went with after watching a vid from Mandy.

https://mandyleaphoto.com/2017/11/26/a-bike-rack-solution/
    Thank you! I did see this but It makes me too nervous to have the rack waggling around. I want to find something where the bikes are solidly fixed in place. I may decide it's better to use a roof rack on our truck instead.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    @gkillmaster, I was going to ask if you were looking to put the bikes on your T@B or your tow vehicle, but it sounds like you are open to either.
    It also sounds like you have a truck. Does it have a full (6') bed? I carry two bikes clamped upright in the bed of my track, under a cap. It doesn't get much more protected than that, and--since we ride mostly off-road--the bikes are packed and ready for transport from the campground to the trailhead.
    You might find this poll/discussion of interest.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG said:
    @gkillmaster, I was going to ask if you were looking to put the bikes on your T@B or your tow vehicle, but it sounds like you are open to either.
    It also sounds like you have a truck. Does it have a full (6') bed? I carry two bikes clamped upright in the bed of my track, under a cap. It doesn't get much more protected than that, and--since we ride mostly off-road--the bikes are packed and ready for transport from the campground to the trailhead.
    You might find this poll/discussion of interest.
    Thank you ScottG! most helpful!
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    @gkillmaster, if it's an option for you, I use a couple of these clamps (there are multiple brands) mounted to a board that secures temporarily in the bed of the truck when needed. They are very secure and can be adapted to a homemade roof rack as well.

2015 T@B S

• Options
    Thanks again ScottG. Will look into this option when I can.
  • Options
    ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
    I started another discussion a few days back asking T@bber’s thoughts about the Seasucker racks (link below).   I’ve now received mine, and will be “cautiously” testing it for the next few months.  I certainly understand others hesitations for such a system, as I am still working through my own.  For me, I think I like the “roof of TV” options vs “on the trailer”, as it gives us more flexibility for carrying from camp to trailheads and/or at other times while not camping.  But others may not have that option, or need the space for other storage.  I actually did buy the Jack-it too, but it’s still in the box. Holding it as another option, should the Seasucker choice become problematic. 

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/8708/seasucker-bike-rack-any-brave-souls-yet#latest

Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
    nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.