Options

T@B vs. minimax

I just joined this forum to help decide about purchasing a tear drop trailer. I’ve looked at the T@B 320 and the minimax. Would appreciate the insight  of forum members re: pro/con for each of these trailers. Thanks for taking the time to share with me! 
doc_rose
2019 T@B 320S (Boondock "clone")
TV 2019 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited May 2019
    Mini Max weighs only a tiny bit more, but has considerably larger water tanks.  With tanks full it starts approaching the weight of a 400 though.  We bought our T@B S Max (very similar to 320) back when it was a Little Guy run endeavor, so I don't know if the quality of the two brands are worlds apart.

The Mini Max is a little longer and has a more powerful rooftop air conditioner (A/C). 

So if you plan to tow with a small diesel station wagon or a crossover with under two ton towing and under 350lb tongue weight then the 320 is a better choice.  If you camp in the heat and need 72F inside, maybe the Mini Max with more room and bigger A/C, but you'd be safer pulling it with an SUV or midsized truck. 

But if you plan to boondock and use an aftermarket solar setup to occasionally power a small A/C, you're back to the 320.  On the other hand when boondocking, the larger water tanks on the Mini Max would be very helpful. 

For heating the 320 has the silent Alde water heater / furnace that everyone loves.  The Mini Max has a louder standard furnace. But Mini Max has a much nicer fridge. 

So it is a tough choice.  But if you want the most helpful forum in the galaxy, you're going to go with the 320.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    edited October 2019
    The cons that i saw against the mini max were: build quality, no Alde & head room if you sat at the table.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    One of the big hitters in my opinion would be to look at quality of the build, warranty and service.  The tolerances on the T@B are much closer as they now have computerized processes in place that are able to make this happen.  But as noted, the Alde is an awesome heating and hot water unit and the space/storage areas are well utilized within the trailer.  You have an excellent support not only in the manufacturer, but within the T@B forum community (as noted).  

You could also potentially get an unbiased accounting and feedback from the Little Guy forum area at:  

https://golittleguy.com/forum/#/discussions
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,486
    I hope you have also joined the Little Guy forum to solicit their members.  I looked at their forum and there is limited participation.
    Maybe there is more Little Guy info on Facebook.  The 320 vs the Mini Max comparison is really defined by what do you get for the extra 2 feet of length and over a foot taller.   Just a brief glance and it appears the 2019 TaBs in the less spendy areas of the country run $19 - 21K vs $21 - 23K for the Mini Max.

TaB 320 S Pros:  
    89 inches tall so you may be able to fit it in your garage vs 102 inches
    15’ 2” long vs 17’ 2” - shorter and may be easier to store
    Less tongue weight - able to pull with a smaller TV
    TaBs have a clamshell model if you prefer that experience.
    The Alde heat and hot water system are efficient and quiet.
    Well established active community and social media platform which is invaluable
    Pleasant Valley factory has been producing TaBs since 2010 vs Mini Max 2018
    Known factory quality and supportive front office vs ?

I think the Mini Max single bed option has potential, but realistically, an American adult can’t sleep comfortably on a 21” wide bed.

My 2 cents.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Quality, 100%. Really take your time and look at the 2 and the small touches. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Nucamp I believe uses ash or birch for their cabinets, but I'm not sure if it's solid hardwood through and through or veneer on some or all panels... not that there's anything wrong with that choice.  The Mini Max site claims solid maple hardwood cabinets with dovetail construction.  That seems higher quality, but I could be wrong.

But if you're not buying real soon, NuCamp is about to start producing the Barefoot fiberglass teardrop too.  Yet another choice.

Link to a Mini Max review:
    https://girlcamper.com/blog/2018/04/04/introducing-the-mini-max-by-go-little-guy/

• Options
    ArwenArwen Member Posts: 68
    edited May 2019

We went through this dilemma last Spring when we were shopping for our first camper. After months of small camper research, our top three picks were the T@B 320, T@B 400, and the LG Mini Max (all at the same dealer).

The 400 was my boyfriend’s first choice, but it was a bit over our budget and I found out that it was too close to my Jeep’s maximum tongue weight, plus it was bigger than what I felt comfortable towing (since I had never towed anything before). So we were down to a 2018 T@B 320 S Boondock and a 2019  LG Mini Max rough rider package. At that time, our dealer was selling the two campers for pretty much the same price.

The Mini Max was noticably than the T@B 320, with a 6 foot interior height, but not much heavier. The bed was a bit longer (75" vs. 73"); and it came with solar, a microwave, and a much larger fridge. When we first compared all 3 campers, the Mini Max seemed like the best compromise and the best value of the three. We needed time to think this over, but on our drive home we had pretty much decided on the Mini Max.

A week later, I convinced my best friend to make the trip with me back down to the dealer, as I was still torn between the two campers. Even though the 320 was smaller, and I would not be able to stand up straight in it (I’m 6’ tall), it was still my personal favorite. (My friend is not as tall as me, so the lower ceiling height was not an issue for her, but my boyfriend is 6-1). The higher ceiling in the Mini Max really didn't feel any more comfortable to me, due to the placement of its AC unit, which was right in the middle of the standing/walking space (which was a real head banger for me). We both liked its layout better than that of the Mini Max. In fact the 320 actually felt a bit roomier to us, due to its more open floor plan. The 320's bed was a bit shorter, you sleep front to back (if you are tall), and I could fit just fine when it was set up as two twin beds (the twin lay out in the Mini Max was width-wise, which was too short for me).

The Mini Max's rear star gazer window was nice, but its dinette seating was pretty much limited to just the two sides, where the 320 has a fully usable u-shape, and I can still sit upright on the rear portion (and I love that the bedding could be stored behind it). We both liked the 320's table a bit better, even though it is smaller, as it is way more flexible (the Mini Max's was a bit too low for me, and not all that easy to raise and lower).

The Mini Max's larger fridge was appealing, but I figured that the 320's would be big enough to meet our needs.  The overall storage space seemed to be about the same, perhaps due to the way the Mini Max's bed/dinette area came to more of a point, and because the larger fridge and its microwave took up some storage area).

Finally, we both felt like the quality in the 320 was a bit better than that of the Mini Max. Things just seemed to fit a bit better and things looked a bit more substantial. It was a tough decision and there's a bit more to this story, but  little 320 won out in the end.

Good luck with your own decision.

Arwen

Arwen: Northern NH; 2018 T@B 320S Boondock, silver/blue; TV: blue 2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
  • Options
    DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    I just put my down payment on a 2019 Tab 320S Boondock. Had seriously considered some LittleGuy offerings (had been waffling between Tab400, Tab 320S, Aliner Ascape ST / Grand ST, and had also considered Little Guy Max and MiniMax.

At first, I was torn between the larger (but not too large) Tab 400 / Little GUy Max vs the MiniMax / 320 (Ascape was looking like a great compromise - being super small and lightweight AND being tall enough to stand up fully in part of it (I'm 6'2") 

I ruled out the bigger campers (Tab400, LittleGuy Max) just because I decided that while I liked standing up fully, their weight/size were just a bit too big for what I wanted... so I was comparing

Grand Ascape ST, Little Guy Mini Max (Rough rider), Tab 320S Boondock Edge)

I was at a dealer who had all three on the lot .. I probably drove him nuts going between all the models (before I ruled out the larger ones) .. I ruled out the Ascape because .. while it had some great features, I just .. it was a bit too ... light .. not weight but in just over all build. It's a nice unit and I wouldn't have hated it but the not-quite-teardrop design wasn't as appealing, it also had no "rough rider / Boondock" equivalent.. so for all that I focused down on the Mini Max Rough Rider vs the Tab 320 S Boondock Edge

The final deciding factors for me:
    The Tab just really did feel a bit better built.. the teeny bit of extra headroom in the Mini Max was still not enough to stand fully for me so I could kind of ignore that difference.. the Tab Boondock just really looks/feels like it really means it when it comes to being more off road ready.

One kind of final kicker: The way the rear of the TaB is shaped.. the clearance.. it just feels like it would be less likely to bottom out .. the way the Mini Max is straight back.. I have a bit of a hill even at my home and I just worry that backing it in to certain spots or going up certain hills might bottom it out back there.

I've not taken delivery yet (I get it next weekend) but I really feel like for me the TaB was right.. NuCamp seems to have a more .. active/fervent community of support too.

You probably would not hate either one, but really sit down and focus on the build, the features, the layout etc.. and the answer will probably become clearer as to what is best for you.

~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    we looked at the mini max before purchasing a 320.    To us the dinette area of the mini max was complete wasted space,   So what are you going to do with that space on the back wall area of the dinette?   

I am a feeling kinda of guy,   Sitting in the 320 felt like home.    The mini max was a complete miss,  sitting at the dinette was uncomfortable and did not have that home vibe.  

My suggestion is to go to the dealership for each and lay in the bed,  go through the motions of your day,  get out of bed, sit on the toilet, make a meal and just sit and relax and watch some TV like you would before bed or on a rainy day.   

Quality?  The cabinetry and such looked very similar,  so with out looking underneath the hood who knows.   They look very similar in quality on the surface.

The bigger fridge and Microwave in the mini max is nice,  but the microwave location is odd to say the least.   I am 5 9 so ceiling height was not a huge thing for me.     

As suggested go to the little guy website and see what they have to say as well.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    #truth

The rear end on the Max is one of the ugliest I could ever imagine and seems ripe for bottoming out, as has been reported by both dealers and owners.

Conversely, the 400 has the nicest rear end I think I have seen on a trailer.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    elberethelbereth Member Posts: 105
    The MiniMax wasn’t out at the time we were buying last year, but we were tent campers looking for an upgrade, and definitely wanted the clamshell kitchen since we don’t want to cook inside our living quarters - which means the 320 is about the only option, unless you go smaller!  @jkjenn I must say I find the squared off rear end style rather fetching ;)

2018 T@B CS-S Towed by 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i in the wilds of Minnesota
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,486
    I don’t like the long, flat end of the Mini-Max either.  I think the CS flat end is more in proportion and visually appealing.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    I don’t like the long, flat end of the Mini-Max either.  I think the CS flat end is more in proportion and visually appealing.
    Agree.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited May 2019
    Ohhhh, my T@B 400’s rear end is the nicest!  

Sorry @jkjenn, but I do have to agree that nüCamp did create the better of the two!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Verna said:
    Ohhhh, my T@B 400’s rear end is the nicest!  

Sorry @jkjenn, but I do have to agree that nüCamp did create the better of the two!
    Honestly, and sort of pathetically, that is what makes me want a 400 the most. It is just beautiful. Sorry of an odd discussion, but when you see it on person it is just remarkable.

• Options
    Doc_roseDoc_rose Member Posts: 4
    DougH said:
    Mini Max weighs only a tiny bit more, but has considerably larger water tanks.  With tanks full it starts approaching the weight of a 400 though.  We bought our T@B S Max (very similar to 320) back when it was a Little Guy run endeavor, so I don't know if the quality of the two brands are worlds apart.

The Mini Max is a little longer and has a more powerful rooftop air conditioner (A/C). 

So if you plan to tow with a small diesel station wagon or a crossover with under two ton towing and under 350lb tongue weight then the 320 is a better choice.  If you camp in the heat and need 72F inside, maybe the Mini Max with more room and bigger A/C, but you'd be safer pulling it with an SUV or midsized truck. 

But if you plan to boondock and use an aftermarket solar setup to occasionally power a small A/C, you're back to the 320.  On the other hand when boondocking, the larger water tanks on the Mini Max would be very helpful. 

For heating the 320 has the silent Alde water heater / furnace that everyone loves.  The Mini Max has a louder standard furnace. But Mini Max has a much nicer fridge. 

So it is a tough choice.  But if you want the most helpful forum in the galaxy, you're going to go with the 320.
    Thanks to all who responded to my initial post. This forum seems to be "THE most helpful . . . in the galaxy". I wish I had the option to compare the 320 and minimax side by side, but my local dealer in Salida, CO carries nucamp and not liberty outdoors. I also posted this question on the minimax forum and get very little feedback. The stargazing window at the rear end of the minimax, the larger frig, and lighted entry step/handle were very appealing to me. But, at this point, the T@B appears to be the winner given the welcoming community!! Thanks again and I look forward to more interaction with the forum!
    doc_rose
    2019 T@B 320S (Boondock "clone")
    TV 2019 Toyota Highlander
  • Options
    @Doc_rose : Now the hardest choice of all...  what color?   :)

Or does your Salida dealership only have a couple choices?  Speaking of Colorado (I'm in D/FW Texas but visit Colorado all the time), I noticed just a day or two ago Nederland was only 21F overnight.  In May!  Imagine how many RVs dewinterized for the Colorado state park and natl forest campground opening last month, only to have to drain tanks and blow out water lines this week.  But at least it's easy to do on our campers.

• Options
    DougH said:
    @Doc_rose : Now the hardest choice of all...  what color?   :)

Or does your Salida dealership only have a couple choices?  Speaking of Colorado (I'm in D/FW Texas but visit Colorado all the time), I noticed just a day or two ago Nederland was only 21F overnight.  In May!  Imagine how many RVs dewinterized for the Colorado state park and natl forest campground opening last month, only to have to drain tanks and blow out water lines this week.  But at least it's easy to do on our campers.
    I noticed that there is not a ton of higher altitude RV camping prior to Memorial Day, and even then backs off with a slight spike over Father's day weekend. It becomes heavy right before 4th of July and does not let up until fall. Last year, I saw more people camping into the fall than usual, too. 

I was dewinterized and it dropped into the 20's at night and mid 40's during the day for the first couple weeks that I was there. I fared OK, but I was boondocking.

• Options
    DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    I chose the T@B over a LittleGuy because of a few things.. but that back end others have mentioned.. yeah that was a big one. I just love the lines of the T@B .. especially the boondock edition. The back end angle on the T@B means it's much less likely to bottom out.. my house is on a hill and the way I have to get into my driveway.. I pull up past the house then back in/down and the turn and the angle up of the driveway.. I think I would bottom out a MiniMax.. even a TAB 320 CS.. I need that clearance just at home so that really sealed the deal.

I also felt just a general "vibe" of the T@B being a bit more sturdy/better built.. but that may be more subjective.. there's nothing wrong with the MiniMax really.. just have to kind of really get down to the "How will I be using this"

~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

• Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    Since I camp off-grid, I find the Alde heater is a big win for me.  Last October, at a dog trial, all others had their generator running to power the heat in their campers.  Not me.  Just my solar panel to recharge the battery.  Glad I don't have to haul a generator around.  Need the room for more doggies, lol.
  • Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    The one big sacrifice that I had to make in selecting the T@B was to give up the 2" hitch receiver on the back of the MiniMax.   I have yet to find an acceptable way to carry a bike rack on my T@B and will most likely have to resort to a roof rack on my Wrangler.  I was trying to avoid that because I didn't want to spoil the Wrangler's appearance, and loading a bike will be a bit tricky given the height of the Wrangler.  Adding any bike rack to the A-frame on my T@B is not really an option because of other storage mods I did on the A-Frame (details at the link in my signature).  The T@B was and still is still the right choice for me.   
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,417
    @klenger, you may have found that receiver hitch more appealing in theory than in practice. We have friends with an R-pod that used the receiver for a bike rack. Problem is there was so much bounce back there the bikes were getting beat up just going down the road. They pretty quickly changed to a rack on top of their vehicle.
    2015 T@B S