Paper towel rack over entry door

I tried a product from the Command Hooks company that looks like velcro to hang a paper towel rack over the entry door. No luck. Fell right off - kinda funny for our first mod. So should I use real velcro to do the job?
Mickey & Terri
2016 Max S
Kalamazoo Michigan

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @mandt, normally, if you clean the area very well with rubbing alcohol, wait for it to dry very well, then hold the Command Strip in place for 30 seconds, it will stay. You do need to wait.....check your directions....for the recommended amount of time, and then put the paper towel holder on it, and it should hold.  

Honestly, the recommended time plus the cleansing with alcohol are the secrets. 

If you did the recommended steps and it fell off, there must be something on the wall that is not allowing the 3M glue to stick. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • mandtmandt Member Posts: 158
    The command stips stuck to the wall and the rack with no problem. The"velcro" did not hold to the other velcro for some reason. It seemed strong, but as soon as we tried to pull off a sheet it came tumbling down.
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The Velcro is very difficult to push into the grip of the mating piece. It take patience, a strong thumb, or something to push the plastic towel holder’s Velcro into the mating piece of Velcro. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    We did that. It might be that our rack is a little flexible. I also noticed on the Command website that the product had quite a few poor reviews. I am going to try regular velcro and see what happens. Thanks!
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @mandt I used heavy duty velcro, three chunks and this towel holder never ever budges until you take it off. I also have the roll going ”backward” (pulling from behind) and it doesn’t unroll during travel. It has a plastic ball at each end of the “arm” for holding the roll, so there’s no need to remove the holder to change rolls. I bought it at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Hang in there, you’ll get it!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    edited July 2018
    @mandt , I have a brushed stainless steel paper towel holder above the door. The 2 tabs which are regularly designed to be placed flat against the wall and screwed in are held in place on the wall by 2 clear command strips, one on each side. I got the largest size strip (width and length) they produce. Each is rated at 5 or 7 lbs. Stuck them onto the wall after the alcohol clean up. Although the holder is not quite level (installer error), it has held in temperatures 130+ F and through Michigan winters of -20F. My biggest sense of joy and relief came last year when my boys (then 11 &12) were wrestling over getting paper towel off the roll before the other. The holder stayed attached to the trailer wall until I was able to disengage the two of them. Just the regular command strips worked great. Good luck whatever your approach.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
    edited July 2018
    Ok, got it. Industrial strength velcro and rack from bed bath and...
    Seems to work... so far...

Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • elberethelbereth Member Posts: 105
    I have had a heck of a time getting Command Strips to stay stuck, anywhere.  Maybe I'm too impatient with letting the rubbing alcohol dry?  I do the full pressing for >30 s in 3 places on the strip, waiting overnight before hanging a load, etc. and they still just fall right off.  So I'm no help @mandt but I feel your pain!
    2018 T@B CS-S Towed by 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i in the wilds of Minnesota
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    mandt said:
    Ok, got it. Industrial strength velcro and rack from bed bath and...
    Seems to work... so far...

I just used the plastic RV one with industrial velcro. It never fell down. If I didn't use Viva Paper Towels or the small Bounty select-a-size, I'd have an unrolled pile of paper towels to roll back up when I got to my destination! lol
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    @mandt yay! That should work for you. That’s the same bracket I have, too. 

@Ratkity do you happen to have one of those  corsage pins lying around? You just stick the pin in the roll before you drive off and it won’t unroll. Promise! I only had to do that once when I changed to a cheaper brand of towel.  =)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    A hat pin works too. (Just don't tell my mom where I got it!) :s
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

Ahhhh @ericnliz... the temptation is real! :rofl:
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Homebodyatheart, How well I know! AND...I have a REALLY good knowledge of where it would get stuck if she knew!!! :rofl:
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• FergieFergie Member Posts: 143
    By drilling a 1/16" pilot hole and then using 3/4" flat topped self tapping metal screws I found I can securely fasten almost anything that is not very heavy to the walls of the T@B. Shown below is a grouping of the paper towel rack, an auxiliary battery operated ceiling light and a Kleenex box. The towel rack and the light are screwed on. The Kleenex box is attached to the wall with velcro.

True, you are putting holes in the T@B paneling, but many of our mods are not completely reversible.

These mods were made prior to our leaving for our 8000 mile cross-country tour while moving from Minnesota to Alaska last summer and we never experienced any problems with them.

Fergie

P.S. I almost forgot. In the extreme lower left hand side of the photo just below the cabinet is a wooden fixture with pull-down hooks for hanging pot holders, towels, etc. This was also installed with screws.

@Fergie just know that you’re not drilling into paneling. It’s Azdel, and here’s a pic of it which shows the inside wallpaper and outside shell. I’m glad your items held for you. 
  • FergieFergie Member Posts: 143
    To Homebodyatheart:

I guess I wasn't precise with my term paneling. The self-tapping screws are long enough to penetrate both structural layers, but not long enough to cause problems with the outer wall material. In other places where I put some hooks, I also put some GE Silicon II on the back flat side of the hook for additional strength. Obviously you can't put extreme weight on such a connection as you would if you could anchor to a stud. 

Fergie

@Fergie thanks for the clarification. I’ve seen posts where new owners secure heavy hanging items to the walls. Never do hear how the walls held up though.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Good thinking.  Made use of the wood.  I have not put any holes into our walls either except where we know there is wood.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    As an alternative, consider an over the door paper towel holder inside the top kitchen cabinet. That works for me, and leaves the space over the exit door for command hooks for our car and T@B keys. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    Nice work! You could probably start a little cottage industry turning out these holders.
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • dhaufdhauf Member Posts: 199
    Nice work! You could probably start a little cottage industry turning out these holders.
    Thanks! was fun to do.  I am looking at more things to create to try and make use of all the space.  Not sure how this would sell to be honest, but was more of a hobby to me than anything else.
    I love my paper towel holder over the door. I used heavy duty velcro to hold it there, no screws or nails in the wall. Two seasons later it’s still in place!
    I love my paper towel holder over the door. I used heavy duty velcro to hold it there, no screws or nails in the wall. Two seasons later it’s still in place!
    Yeah I was thinking of something similar also, but was concerned if I had to remove it for some reason it might tear the wallpaper off.  I have used command strips before since they remove without issue.  But I have had issues with them sticking well.  I’ve had stuff fall of the wall after using command strips.  I do like your idea also though.  It’s a good spot for a holder for sure.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I love it when you pull ou the 3D printer! Brilliant!!

I still think the storage space on the to guess where people put the sewer hose (diamond plate) could be done with a 3D printer and bring down the cost.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

jkjenn said:
    I love it when you pull ou the 3D printer! Brilliant!!

I still think the storage space on the to guess where people put the sewer hose (diamond plate) could be done with a 3D printer and bring down the cost.
    Hmm cool idea!  I’ll post what I did when we get a break in the rain.  I mounted two Valtera storage tubes in the back near the rear tires.  I now have storage for the stinky slinky in one, plus all the fittings that go with it and I store my Zero G water hoses in the other tube.  I used the self taping screws that were already there holding the belly pan on drill a small hole in a 5” stainless hose clamp and mounted that to the bottom and then strapped the storage tubes to that.  Works brilliantly!  
    @dhauf I actually have removed the velcro when I was messing around with it and no harm was done as long as I went very carefully. I have had very poor luck with command strips sticking so I go straight to velcro now. 
    @dhauf I actually have removed the velcro when I was messing around with it and no harm was done as long as I went very carefully. I have had very poor luck with command strips sticking so I go straight to velcro now. 
    Good to know, I gave up on command strips also on the wallpaper part as everything kept falling off.  I was always afraid to try regular stick Velcro, but know I know I can use that also.  I’m probably being way to cautious about it, but just hate damaging something potentially.  I love keeping things looking new for a long time, i’m the same way with my cars.  I’m one of those people that can’t deal with a ding in the door.  It’s like a disease for me. Lol
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155

Fergie said:
    To Homebodyatheart:

I guess I wasn't precise with my term paneling. The self-tapping screws are long enough to penetrate both structural layers, but not long enough to cause problems with the outer wall material. In other places where I put some hooks, I also put some GE Silicon II on the back flat side of the hook for additional strength. Obviously you can't put extreme weight on such a connection as you would if you could anchor to a stud. 

Fergie
    So, the screw went through the interior layer... through the foam... and then just touched the outer layer without going through?  uh... that's a seemingly very precise length control.  Did you really do this?  or why wouldn't an insert work?   Can we screw moderately light things into the wall?
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite