Options

Making use of the Roof Rack

My 2019 320 S Boondock Edge comes with a Yakima roof rack.. but the 2019 Boondock edge put the tire over in a custom holder on the tab so from the looks of it, it's just the rails?

Just wondering what other folks have done with theirs..   It feels like I"m staring at a blank canvas here

(the image is lifted from the dealership where I bought my camper.. and is of my specific unit)

~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

Comments

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    I think there's a weight limit. I wouldn't exceed it.
    I saw someone put a longer box on it, but my impression is that anything that's above the roof line (especially something sticking up kind of vertically) would have a negative impact on gas mileage.
    I think that if I had those rails, I'd be tempted to get a soft cargo bag and use it for carrying things like folding chairs, tables, awnings, sunshades, etc. 
    https://www.yakima.com/product-type/cargo-bags

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    Marceline said:
    I think there's a weight limit. I wouldn't exceed it.
    I think that if I had those rails, I'd be tempted to get a soft cargo bag and use it for carrying things like folding chairs, tables, awnings, sunshades, etc.
    Ahh yes, I imagine there might be a weight limit though I know that older models mounted a spare there so it's not .. tiny

Thanks for the bag suggestion and the link - I'll check that out

~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/3994/transporting-sea-kayaks-on-a-outback

75 lbs I think,. We've used it for road bikes and mountain bikes, all carbon fiber, but usually move the spare to the tongue   they're not easy to put up there, but doable with a small stool.  Comes in handy when we want to take kayaks but otherwise would put them on the car roof.  Chairs and rug in the cargo carrier 
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Loaded for bear. 2500 miles loaded as you see it. I have decided since this trip to store the side tent & rug inside the trailer, just to be safe...ymmd.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    4ncar said:
    Loaded for bear. 2500 miles loaded as you see it. I have decided since this trip to store the side tent & rug inside the trailer, just to be safe...ymmd.
    Oh wow you really did load that up. I don't know as I pictured the bikes fitting on that way but.. looks solid. Thanks for sharing.
    ~Tananda

• Options
    CreedCreed Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2021
    I’m not concerned with weight but I am with the air drag ripping this YAKIMA Rack off. Should I be? The Kayaks are above the roof line

Photos too large and deleted.  https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/47/what-size-should-my-posted-forum-photos-
    be#latest
    . Moderator
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,433
    The structural physics involved here are way above my pay grade, but that set-up makes me pucker.  ;-)

(Looks cool, though!)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    I figured out that the track has Metal underneath. I’m going to double the self tapping screws just to be sure. I’ll let you know how we make out. I might install a do not follow too closely construction sign on the back of the tab.😂
  • Options
    monamona Member Posts: 241
    @Creed for starters, I would be very concerned about the weight on the rack. How much do the kayaks weigh? The rack is good up to 75 pounds. With the spare mounted on the back, you only have about 24 pounds to add to the rack. If the combined weight of both kayaks exceeds 24 pounds, it’s a no go even before you leave the driveway. 

Jeannie

2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • Options
    I weighed my items, and I’m 25 pounds overweight. Probably just pop the spare tire off when I travel With the kayaks. 
  • Options
    @Creed How are the kayaks attached?
  • Options
    Kayak mounts and four 3000Lb ratchet straps
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,288
    edited May 2021
    Creed said:
    I figured out that the track has Metal underneath. I’m going to double the self tapping screws just to be sure. I’ll let you know how we make out.
    If installed properly there is already a screw in each of the aluminum roof supports. Adding more in between would be a waste of time. The aluminum shell/roof itself is very thin. I'd also be more worried about the wind drag than the weight. Maybe turn them around so they don't catch the wind as bad, but personally, even with that, I would not trust that setup. (and I've had forum member question my rack installation ... see below.)

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    I’m going to slide the supports down to get them lower. The wind is my biggest concern. They are about 12” over the roof line now. I can get them 6” lower. Still not where I want to be but should decrease drag significantly. Guess I Should have bought 8’ kayaks instead of 10’ 😂
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,665
    This rack is considerably different than the Yakima rack on my 2017.  The general run of weight estimates has run from 100 to 75 pounds on the "old" rack.  I wonder if this much smaller/compact rack might have more or less capacity?

I'm far from an expert at this: but I would also be weighing the load across the entire trailer for balance and tongue weight.  The kayaks up in the wind would be a wild card as far as the amount of pressure they might bring to bear to lift the tongue slightly.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,502
    @Creed - can you put the kayaks on the truck?  The TaBs are built well, but I would be concerned with this setup, too.  Testing the limits here.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    I have a Amarillo spare tire Rack on the Jeep Gladiator  😞. Camping gear in the bed . I did add the tie down ropes that came with the kayak mount kit. Instead of traditional tip to front bumper I ran tip to bike rack
  • Options
    @Creed, no offense intended but I suspected your original post was intended to yank our chains. I carry similar-sized kayaks very firmly secured to top of my truck and the drag is palpable. There is no way I would trust that rack--or the manner in which it is attached to this lightweight trailer--to stay put under all possible circumstances.

I have great respect for innovators and envelope pushers, but in this case the risk of miscalculating is a multi-car pileup. I'll still wave if I see you on the road, but it will be while I am passing you as fast as I can!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    For everyone’s safety, including yours, please consider a truck rack for the kayaks. 

Jeannie
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I would worry about your insurance liability when something flies off your T@B. Your Jeep may handle your excessive tongue weight, but can your T@B tongue frame handle two bikes, bike rack, a generator, one (maybe two) propane tanks, battery/batteries, fuel for the generator, etc.? That is a lot of weight!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks for your concern but I looked into that. My added weight is 182Lbs.
    generator 40lbs
    kayaks 70lbs
    bikes are aluminum 40lbs
    bike rack 42lbs
    the chassis and axils for the tab are rated for 4K. I’m not even remotely close to over weight
    Im tongue heavy but I don’t even need a jack to lift the trailer off the ball. I can pull it up by hand. My water tank full weighs more than what I’ve added.

• Options
    Two propane tanks at 38 lbs each, battery at approximately 68 lbs each. 

I can’t tell what year your T@B is, but they are manufactured with a 2900 lb axle.

All I’m saying is this looks very dangerous not only for you, but for those traveling around you, plus the longevity of your T@B. I truly believe you need a toy hauler, not a T@B. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    One propane tank and my battery is lithium 8lbs. The outback axils are rated for more. Got my information from the dealer . I’m under 2900 anyway 
  • Options
    I think we are getting distracted by the weight issue. I'm concerned about airborne boats.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,288
    edited May 2021
    ScottG said:
    I think we are getting distracted by the weight issue. I'm concerned about airborne boats.

Not to mention the rack and spare tire that would potentially be included in the debris. With tie downs rated at 3000lbs, I envision the sheet metal screw holding the rails in place ripping out and the whole mess bouncing down the road. Probably over thinking it, but that's the picture in my head. :o

ScottG said:
    @Creed, no offense intended but I suspected your original post was intended to yank our chains.
    Yeah, I give it a 50/50 shot that this is legit ..... but it's fun to play along.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    Due to recent argumentative and confrontational comments, I am closing this post so I don’t have to remove any more such comments. 

Verna
    T@B Administrstor
    Verna, Columbus, IN
This discussion has been closed.