Options

2019 Factory Solar Package Questions (factory install on 320 CS-S)

2»

Comments

• Options
    DesertDwellerDesertDweller Member Posts: 129
    What confuses me is that the SRNE controller that came with my 320 S was a 40 amp controller while the Victron controller appears to be rated only to 10 amps.  That seems like a big decrease in capacity to me.  
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite a/k/a "The D@wghouse"
    2012 Jeep Liberty KK a/k/a "Libby"
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    It is, however 10A is about all you need for rooftop solar, not enough real estate to get more than that on the roof. The same Victron basic controller does come in higher amp ratings and if you were going to swap, I might think about increasing in size a bit, but that probably isn't necessary unless you are going to also use a bunch of portable capacity to get say 400W or some such.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    Is the factory rooftop solar on the 320 still 150W total? Assuming the panels put out a maximum of ~18V (that's the case with my suitcase panels), than a 150W setup would only draw a little over 8A at full capacity. (W=VxA). Therefore, anything more than a 10A controller would be overkill on such a small system.
    Of course, there's not much room for expansion here, as you would hit the capacity of your controller around 180W.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    rjgorsrjgors Member Posts: 41
    edited December 2018
    rjgors said:
    I have a 2019 T@B 320 S with the factory solar panel and controller with a different setup.

This is what I have also in my T@B 320 S Boondock Lite edition.  The build date is 7/2018, but according to the VIN decoder I found elsewhere on this forum, it is a 2019 model.  That is consistent with what the dealer told me and the MVD registration.  

RJGORS: Have you been able to connect the solar controller via Bluetooth to the SolarLink App?  I have not been able to.  
    I’ve not tried to connect via Bluetooth. On my list of things to try.
    Bob
    Richmond, MI

2019 T@B 320 S
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I just got my T@b back from Sugarcreek and the factory solar was one of the things Austin and the crew did for me. I already had the Victron controller. The factory is installing 133w panels on the 320 and the controller is mounted under the driver side bench. It is a really clean install. You cannot tell from the photos, but there was snow blowing around. 😁

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    jkjenn said:
    I just got my T@b back from Sugarcreek and the factory solar was one of the things Austin and the crew did for me. I already had the Victron controller. The factory is installing 133w panels on the 320 and the controller is mounted under the driver side bench. It is a really clean install. You cannot tell from the photos, but there was snow blowing around. 😁

Looks great.  How do the wires enter from the roof, and get down to below the bench?  and then how are the battery wires routed out to the front?  (I'm planning my solar install)
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • Options
    morey000 said:
    jkjenn said:

Looks great.  How do the wires enter from the roof, and get down to below the bench?  and then how are the battery wires routed out to the front?  (I'm planning my solar install)
    Not really sure. I have not inspected and it might be a challenge for me to figure out how the solar wires get inside. I am guessing the battery monitor wires come through where the other wires come inside.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178
    @morey000 For the 2019 320 133 Watt PV panel: The solar panel wires come through a 4-1/8" hole in the roof where the solar panel termination box fits into, just above the top right corner of the front window. The wires are spliced to the #10 conductors behind the Jenson unit. The solar wires then drop to the floor between the shoilette and kitchen walls into the space behind the toilette and are routed back through the wire way to the driver side bench area below the television where the charge controller is mounted. This is a very challenging wire path for a completed camper with the roof attached. As @Dalehelman would say, "I would rate this mod a 5 difficulty out of 5. IMHO" even for a seasoned wire installer.
    Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
  • Options
    @morey000 For the 2019 320 133 Watt PV panel: The solar panel wires come through a 4-1/8" hole in the roof where the solar panel termination box fits into, just above the top right corner of the front window. The wires are spliced to the #10 conductors behind the Jenson unit. The solar wires then drop to the floor between the shoilette and kitchen walls into the space behind the toilette and are routed back through the wire way to the driver side bench area below the television where the charge controller is mounted. This is a very challenging wire path for a completed camper with the roof attached. As @Dalehelman would say, "I would rate this mod a 5 difficulty out of 5. IMHO" even for a seasoned wire installer.
    The funny part is that I had the Jensen put last weekend and never even noticed.

• Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    @morey000 For the 2019 320 133 Watt PV panel: The solar panel wires come through a 4-1/8" hole in the roof ... This is a very challenging wire path for a completed camper with the roof attached. ...
    Well- OK then. I'm not gonna' do that. So, now I have a new question.  How the heck should I route my wires and where should I put my controller? !!!
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,677

Here are a bunch of threads from the last couple of years on the roof mounted solar. ( I consider these owners brave pioneers.)  There are several different approaches to wire routing that might help. 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    SprocketheadSprockethead Member Posts: 12
    When I installed Solar on my previous camper(Rpod-180), I ran the wires next to the Sewer Vent Pipe(a No-Drill Install)... The Cap on the vent is wider than the pipe. I simply drilled a hole in the Cap(Not The Roof), and ran wires down through the wall. Easy Peasy!... It should be the Same for T@B 320 S, and possibly many others. 
    2019 T@B 320S Boondock Edge, Factory 133 watt solar, 215ah AGM
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Wouldn't it be nice if everything were the same!  B)

Alas, the Tab 320 sewer vent comes out the side wall!
    When I installed Solar on my previous camper(Rpod-180), I ran the wires next to the Sewer Vent Pipe(a No-Drill Install)... The Cap on the vent is wider than the pipe. I simply drilled a hole in the Cap(Not The Roof), and ran wires down through the wall. Easy Peasy!... It should be the Same for T@B 320 S, and possibly many others. 

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,509
    @ChanW, why not use the roof vent as the access point for the solar mod?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited April 2019
    True! I've considered that too.

The strange 'extra AC vent' would be a perfect entry point, with a near direct access to the hollow shower wall that leads down to the electrical distribution area in the bench seat.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    True! I've considered that too.

The strange 'extra AC vent' would be a perfect entry point, with a near direct access to the hollow shower wall that leads down to the electrical distribution area in the bench seat.

Yes, and probably ly the cheapest to replace if you made a mistake!

• Options
    dhaufdhauf Member Posts: 199
    Anyone happen to know what brand flexible solar panel NuCamp is using for the factory install on the 2019 models?  The cables are behind the panel.  I've been trying to find one forever online like it, but have not come across them.
  • Options
    LSkrabutLSkrabut Member Posts: 136

Utah Driven

2019 T@B 400 (Ex 2018 400)

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

2018 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax CCSB

• Options
    dhaufdhauf Member Posts: 199
    LSkrabut said:
    Awesome thanks!  I have it already on my 2019 Tab but I love the panel so much I would like to use it for other applications.  This will be helpful in tracking down where I can buy them.